Testing skis so you don't have to.
- Mar 5, 2017
Size tested: 177, 185
Location tested: Snowbasin, UT
Conditions tested in: Groomed old snow
Last year Salomon expanded their Stance line down-market and added an 84 mm offering to go with the core of the collection that starts at 90 mm. The Stance 84 was truly a pleasant surprise in the low to mid 80 mm offerings. While the Stance 84 might not have the power of its bigger, wider brethren, it is no slouch either. If you try to take its lunch money, be prepared for a fight.
I will admit I began the ski testing process underestimating the narrower Stance. I requested the 185 cm length, and while it skied well, I could tell it prefers a bigger skier. When I sized down to a 177, boy oh boy, did the Stance 84 come alive. Even with the system binding that is offered, the Stage 11, the 84 mm Stance enjoyed being pushed and never really let up. However, it also didn’t require all of your attention. I talked to one Salomon rep that said that he is skiing much more on the Stance 84 than he expected to.
- Insider tip I: Bypass the Stage system and step up to the Strive 14.
- Insider tip II: The Stance 84 is a real good ski in the moguls.
- One thing I would change: All the other Stances have asymmetrical graphics; these don’t, and they should.
- Who is it for?
- Value seekers: At this price point, you are getting 15/16th of the flagship skis on this class for a much better value.
- Who is it not for?
- If you liked the 85 mm S/Force Bold, this is not the replacement for that ski.
- Skier ability
- Ski category
- All Mountain
- Ski attributes
- Off Piste
Last edited by a moderator: