• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored 2023 SkiEssentials.com Ski Test - Our 6th Annual Test

https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

Whew! Another year, another Ski Test! This is our 6th Annual Test and was our biggest and best yet, but a significant margin, in my humble opinion. We hosted almost 100 testers across skiing and snowboarding (snowboard test to come in a couple weeks) over 3 days at Stowe Mountain Resort. 400 different models were present with a bunch of different sizes, and also multiples of certain key sizes in popular skis. Do the rough math and that was A LOT of skis. The logistics of hosting a test like this are mind-boggling on their own, then combing through thousands of lines of data and making some sense of it is another story.

We hope you enjoy the Test. We're always open to feedback on how it could be better and what you'd like to see in the future. This is our 3rd year using this current format, layout, and overall design. There is a good chance we will change it for 2024, so any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

You're all awesome.

Thanks,

Jeff

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
amazing! your going to need a cofee maker on your desk @Dougb not just a cup!

I'd stil like to get bob on some 191 mantra 102s! I'm bobs size and love it! its not that much more than 184.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
What better way to spend some time on a hot summer day! I’m finding random red maple leaves on the ground so we’re over the hump….

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn them, just damn them, for that review on the SR95s! ;)

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Jeff and Bob,

You guys do the best curated reviews on the internet (or anywhere else). There was a time when shop reviews (those with a vested interest in selling what they have) were the least trusted source, but you guys have stood that on it's head. Love the both the long and short term reviews you guys kick out all year long. And that you do videos and longford write ups.

Great shop to work with, too,

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Jeff and Bob,

You guys do the best curated reviews on the internet (or anywhere else). There was a time when shop reviews (those with a vested interest in selling what they have) were the least trusted source, but you guys have stood that on it's head. Love the both the long and short term reviews you guys kick out all year long. And that you do videos and longford write ups.

Great shop to work with, too,

Thanks so much! That means a lot. I like to think that sometimes we (content team) drive our inventory team crazy for exactly that reason. I don't care if we have 1,000 pairs of a certain product in inventory, I'm not going to start saying that's the best ski in the world just to move units. I don't think we actually drive anyone crazy, but I do think about that stuff sometimes. It's all 100% honest; we'd never sugarcoat something just to increase immediate revenue.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@SkiEssentials, how is the inventory coming along? Will there be less 2023 or outlet ski gear available this year?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of curious about Fischer ranger 108 vs solly qst 106 comparisons.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Is there anything in this year's line up that skis similar to the blizzard bushwacker? (i.e. playful/workable but with power when needed, no metal, excellent edge grip). BIO: 5'-10", 155 lbs, advanced skier, lives on east coast.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
@SkiEssentials, how is the inventory coming along? Will there be less 2023 or outlet ski gear available this year?

We haven't run into any major issues yet. Salomon seems a little slow, but it's been trickling in. Just a handful of certain models I'm surprised we haven't received yet. There's certainly talk of some potential supply chain issues, but so far it's just been talk. We have a lot of skis right now, so things are looking promising. I would venture a guess the amount of leftover or outlet skis will be very similar to last season, which was significantly more than the previous season.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We haven't run into any major issues yet. Salomon seems a little slow, but it's been trickling in. Just a handful of certain models I'm surprised we haven't received yet. There's certainly talk of some potential supply chain issues, but so far it's just been talk. We have a lot of skis right now, so things are looking promising. I would venture a guess the amount of leftover or outlet skis will be very similar to last season, which was significantly more than the previous season.
Sorry to pry but do you see prices going up significantly, just marginally, or otherwise? I can imagine it’s hard to gauge with different patterns manifesting.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Sorry to pry but do you see prices going up significantly, just marginally, or otherwise? I can imagine it’s hard to gauge with different patterns manifesting.

Marginally. I'd say the average price increase on skis is about 10%. $50-100 or so on your popular skis from major manufacturers, although some were able to keep prices the same for 2023. I can't help but wonder if we'll see those increases from those brands in 2024. My assumption is yes.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Kind of curious about Fischer ranger 108 vs solly qst 106 comparisons.
There are some differences for sure. Obviously similar widths, but the QST has quite a bit more early taper both in the tips and tails. Gives it a quicker, more agile feel IMO. Very flickable, but fairly strong underfoot too. Ranger feels smoother and quieter, but not as agile. Longer effective edge, feels a touch more stable at speed.

Is there anything in this year's line up that skis similar to the blizzard bushwacker? (i.e. playful/workable but with power when needed, no metal, excellent edge grip). BIO: 5'-10", 155 lbs, advanced skier, lives on east coast.
Elan Ripstick 88 would be a good place to start. Armada Declivity 88 C, K2 Mindbender 90C, those skis come to mind too.

Sponsor