• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Stöckli Laser WRT Pro

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug
Size tested: 172cm
Location tested: Loveland,CO
Conditions tested in: Groomer Zoomers

To quote George Takei: “Oh My …!” In a perfect world, I would just leave the review at that, but for some reasons the Stockli zealots wouldn’t be satisfied. Yes, the 66mm WRT Pro IS all that and the bag of chips that the faithful hoped it would be.

In typical Stockli fashion, the WRT Pro’s power is very accessible and although it has a higher-than-most-skis top end, especially when mated with the WRT12/16 FF binding, the Pro does not demand your attention for every nano second. This is truly a hero ski that any skier with a competent skill level can experience, and to an extent, grow with.
  • Insider tip: Shop owners, order this ski.
  • One thing I would change: Lower the price.
Ron
Location tested: Loveland, CO
Conditions tested in: Firm groomers

The first All-Mountain Slalom ski. My favorite ski of SIA is a conundrum. Ski it like a slalom ski or change up the radius to whatever you desire, the WRT does it all with poise, composure and at a very high level. I was blown away by how good this ski is. Stockli designed this ski with a dual radii and it actually works. Linking up slalom turns and then breaking off into medium and long radius turns was a literal snap. It can also handle brush turns with stability and balance. The ski exudes energy and pop but still maintains the Stockli feel making it a truly superb ride. I am a sucker for 66mm underfoot so this ski will most likely be in my stable next year if I can sell off enough gear for the $1,500 price tag.
  • Insider tip: The 172 felt perfect.
  • One thing I would change: A one day 50% off sale day?
Winks
Location tested: Mammoth Mountain, CA
Conditions tested in: Early morning sun baked groomers

As Uncle Ben once said "With great power comes great responsibility." Can I just write that?
This ski is the Hypercar you want in the garage, the twin turbo V12; it is absolutely stunning. Stable, stiff, quiet, fast, smooth, strong, I feel like I am running out of great words here. This is one of those skis that will live in your quiver while many others come and go over the years. Stöckli nailed it with this one. Enough said!
  • Insider tip: Don't look at the price tag; just hand them your plastic.
  • One thing I would change: Graphics. At this price point I want something more distinct.

Awards
Who is it for?
Good skiers, the better you are, the better the WTR Pro is. Carvers and technical skiers who aren’t afraid of skiing 66 underfoot all over the mountain. Those looking for ski that sacrifices nothing and rewards you every time you ski it.
Who is it not for?
Cheap bastards. Move on, don’t even demo it. This ski will haunt you in your dreams. This is not a ski for intermediates or for those on a budget.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
162, 172, 180
Dimensions
118-66-100
Radius
14.8m@172
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate

Skidiot58

Booting up
Skier
Took these for a spin last Feb at Snowbasin in variable/firm conditions. I started out "terrified" because of the reputation of WRT's and I am only a slightly above average skier/carver. These are not the punishing beasts I envisioned. Solid technique and deliberate input make these an unforgettable ride. They are like a really good "encounter" ---- You can't get them out of your head and you must "hit it again". 162's are in my ski room, price was terrifying --- It's only money --- I'll make more!!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
started out "terrified" because of the reputation of WRT's and I am only a slightly above average skier/carver. These are not the punishing beasts I envisioned. Solid technique and deliberate input make these an unforgettable ride.

That's what I have been saying all along the last two years man-the reputation of the WRTs is totally misplaced and unjustified. They are absolutely not punishing. If anything they are super rewarding. Would I put a beginner/low intermediate on them? No. But not because he/she will die, just because they won't be able to unlock and enjoy the full potential of these superb ski.
And yeah, they are addictive, once you get on WRTs all the other piste ski feel a bit meh...

Last edited:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
These sound interesting. Price ($1500) is flat, correct? Then add plate and binding? So looking at $2000 - $2100?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These sound interesting. Price ($1500) is flat, correct? Then add plate and binding? So looking at $2000 - $2100?
I think they will be around $1500 with binding. @LindseyB can confirm.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the reputation of the WRTs is totally misplaced and unjustified.

Can't trust all the reviews on the net without knowing how them review boys actually ski like.
What that translated to is the reviewers that were terrified of the ski probably suck a lot more than you.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think they will be around $1500 with binding. @LindseyB can confirm.
It looks like it will be north of $1500 with binding. Peak Performance has some flat for $1,450.

Our friends at Skiessentials have the regular version with the SRT12 binding at $1,719. I would guess the pro version will be similar or slightly more expensive.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Should be a bit less. I preordered mine with Stockli for 1750 Swiss franks which should be about 1800 USD-plate and WRT 12 bindings.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can't trust all the reviews on the net without knowing how them review boys actually ski like.
To a point, some of the best coaches in sports were never the best at their sports, ex: Charlie Lau could not hit is way out of a wet paper bag but taught some of the best hitters in the game liek George Brett and Rod Carew, the last two hitters that flirted with .400 and it is rare that the ones that are great at a sport are good at conveying that it takes to be great at it. We see it some in reviews, those who rely soley on great skiing ability cannot discern the nuances of a ski because they could ski on two 2x4's and look great coming down the hill. We have seen it all too many times at trade shows. But to your point, understandong where you get your information from is key and also knowing their biases be it paid, preferred or the worst IMHO self validating.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What that translated to is the reviewers that were terrified of the ski probably suck a lot more than you.

Yeah, makes you wonder really.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most high performance skis have a mean streak like most arm candy girl friends. They are great when they are when they are treated right. Holy hell when they are not.
The WRT is like a high maintenance/performance GF without the mean streak. Really smooth ski. Even I have a tendency to carry a bit more speed with it. A really fun ski.
Sometimes I do missed the mean streak. :ogbiggrin: But then that is just me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The WRT is like a high maintenance/performance GF without the mean streak. Really smooth ski. Even I have a tendency to carry a bit more speed with it. A really fun ski.
Sometimes I do missed the mean streak. :ogbiggrin: But then that is just me.
Watch My Blue Heaven, a very underrated comedy based on the Henry Hill story. Vinny, the main character played by Steve Martin talks about liking his women "a little dirty".

Reactions: Ogg

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
2CA8CA41-2817-4A47-A01C-D9DB79185D4D.jpeg

If anyone has wondered what my office/locker room mess looks like all summer.
There is a reason this ski has been sitting there since May…But the salivating every time I glance over has become an issue.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Atomic FIS SL 165s have seen close to 100 days, maybe more, and need to be replaced. Candidates are the same ski, WRT Pros, Head Porsche 8 series, or something I haven’t considered. What I’ve loved about the Atomics is even though they’re small radius, they do really well at medium turns too.

Any opinions, @LindseyB, or others, as to how close the WRT Pro comes in approaching the Atomic’s level of performance? Strictly a hard surface ski, unless they knock off the AX-s on packed powder.

If I’m getting a wider performance band without really giving anything up I’m open to the WRTs.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I’ve loved about the Atomics is even though they’re small radius, they do really well at medium turns too.

If that's what you are looking for in a ski, the WRT will be way better. I however can only compare the WRTs to consumer SL skis as I only bought a pair of FIS SL ski this year. On hand flex the FIS SL (mine are Hero Athletes) are way stiffer than the WRTs and I don't mind that one bit as their application will be very different.
Compared to consumer SL skis the WRTs are much more stable at speed, more predictable, far less twitchy, turn really great but are not as turny as the SL. Do not insist on their stated radius and could be opened up in medium/long turns far easier. Wont bite you head off and throw you off the saddle if you make a mistake. Don't take being on the back seat well-especially the 180s but don't run from under you. Far more versatile and especially with the WRT bindings-sublimely smooth. At 3 degrees side hold great edge on firm and steep. The 172 are surprisingly fun in spring slush. Fantastic ski.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
delivery estimate october 1st in europe

Indeed. Did they give you a free pair of poles? :ogbiggrin:

You of course ordered the 180, not even gonna ask. Which makes me think, perhaps I should have ordered the 172 and then wait until you don't like them and take them off your hands at half the price.

Damn, should have thought about that sooner.

Last edited:

Sponsor