• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It would be easier just to rent from someone you aren't related to...
I'm pretty sure at least part of his calculation is doing the work is better for his mental state than dealing with the s*** job someone else will do.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have been literally squatting here for 22 years. I like to think of it as our way to assert our squatter rights by keeping up the place. Even us squatters have standards. Very low standards, but standards nevertheless.

Mamie is looking at it as her high altitude work her ass into skiing shape camp.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
We have been literally squatting here for 22 years. I like to think of it as our way to assert our squatter rights by keeping up the place. Even us squatters have standards. Very low standards, but standards nevertheless.

Mamie is looking at it as her high altitude work yourself into skiing shape camp.
I'd be happy to come help you rehabilitate the place for a place to hide from my wife crash for a few weeks. :roflmao:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
22 years of rental. Lots of holidays. Many for the season. Hopefully, many more to come.

Got to pay the piper somewhere along the way.
The world is not and should not be one way streets only.
Nah, I get that. And we are all glad we can draft off your squating. Lots of good times there.
It just struck me how much work it takes just to keep up with entropy in a harsh environment like a high-altitude ski resort.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It just struck me how much work it takes just to keep up with entropy in a harsh environment like a high-altitude ski resort.

In a third world country, no less.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nah, I get that. And we are all glad we can draft off your squating. Lots of good times there.
2020 before COVID shut it all down……. It’s always a good time at the Grumps. I’ve enjoyed their hospitality a number of times. D4580EFE-653B-4082-BAA1-C37F039D84B9.jpeg 55323807-F07D-47DA-85B3-D599AD5EF076.jpeg 85BEB399-BE51-474A-A21E-C6CA02295877.jpeg C9169FB1-11AA-4AD8-9F1B-AF561AD8CEC4.jpeg

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Heads up for those wanting to expand their racing skill set. Race week is the week of 01/22/2022. Several prior gathering attendees are considering it as an alternative to the mini-gathering.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you know if a race week involves mostly gate work?
Don't worry. I'll lend you my padded suit and a tube of Arnica gel. You'll be fine. Just give yourself extra time when you need to pee.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

It's all gate work. There are some technical but mostly related to gates.

Andrew did it few years back, Loved it. He is very natural at it.

If interested, bring SL & GS skis. Oh yeah, armor. Lots of armor.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Glad to hear there is a race week, sorry that Taos no longer hosts NASTAR. Gwen and drove down from CB to Taos in 2016-17 and one of the big reasons for the trip was the opportunity to run some gates. Not the usual reason a Ski Talker would visit Taos, but she was a racer and I was a wanna-be and that was reason enough for us to make the trip.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is not all gate work. They always have 2 groups: for those who are serious and only want gates, and those who just want to improve their carving skills. One year they even had a 3rd group that was learning to parallel ski but they had made that a minimum requirement now. You can also book a private week with Alain to ski gates. I didn’t want to share him with others in a ski week so I have been booking private weeks with him. He just had double knee replacement so I am not sure how involved he will be with this year’s race week. He seems to be recovering well!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I love sking gates, I might do that race week sometime, but this season I want to focus on my bump sking. Anyone skiing this week? Right now I'm hoping to get out there Christmas week and make some turns, I gotta scratch that itch, it's killing me.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The 22-23 trail map is up on the Taos website. Did anybody happen to save last years?
I didn't, so I'm going off memory.

I think some more runs are marked on it. Most or all were already signed on the hill, so it's a documentation change only.
I think K1 through K5, High Somewhere, and Muse Bowl are newly marked.
That should help with my chronic confusion over which end the Ks are numbered from.

I do have a paper map ... I can't find a date on it, but it is old enough that it lifts 5 and 6 are on it. The only difference I see with it (besides the added marked trails) is that the closed area between Lorelei and Longhorn extends all the way to Pierre's on the paper map but is a little smaller now.

edit - just noticed the back of the paper map has a detail map of the ridges that has even more marked runs. All of the West Basin chutes, North Face, and the area between Cabin and Lift Shack chutes.

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 22-23 trail map is up on the Taos website. Did anybody happen to save last years?
I didn't, so I'm going off memory.

I think some more runs are marked on it. Most or all were already signed on the hill, so it's a documentation change only.
I think K1 through K5, High Somewhere, and Muse Bowl are newly marked.
That should help with my chronic confusion over which end the Ks are numbered from.

I do have a paper map ... I can't find a date on it, but it is old enough that it lifts 5 and 6 are on it. The only difference I see with it (besides the added marked trails) is that the closed area between Lorelei and Longhorn extends all the way to Pierre's on the paper map but is a little smaller now.

edit - just noticed the back of the paper map has a detail map of the ridges that has even more marked runs. All of the West Basin chutes, North Face, and the area between Cabin and Lift Shack chutes.
I should have one from the past year or two Mike. I’ll check when I get home.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
my chronic confusion over which end the Ks are numbered from
While trying to help the directionally challenged is a fools errand, I'll try...
Someone once pointed out to me that they're numbered as you'd get to them hiking the ridge before the Kachina lift existed.

:duck:

Sponsor