• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, Taos plans to replace a lot of lifts. Running a ski area isn't for those light on capital. It's remarkable they make it work in the middle of nowhere NM. :thumb: :thumb:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you seen the REST of New Mexico?

The whole west, really. So happy to live in flyover country! :ogbiggrin:

712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf I went to Taos last season for the first time. I paid no attention to the trail map as my mind was otherwise occupied. So I never knew where I was on the mountain. This map you just posted is the best one I've seen for sorting out the layout of everything. Thanks for posting it.

It's amazing that a map makes a better map than a painting, isn't it?

Yeah that is a cool map, gave me a different perspective of the mountain. When do they plan to build that base to base gondola? It should take you from the bottom of #1 to the top of #4, that would be sweet.

I love maps... I tend to pore over trail maps a bit when I go someplace new, and like finding my way around and using the maps at the top of the lifts. I also really like FATMAPS... it's an app and website, and gives a 3D model that you can pan/tilt, rotate, and zoom. Lots of fun to play with. You do have to create an account... but most of the functionality is free.

Here are some views of Taos... you can move things around, and if you click on a run you get a description and run stats. There are also overlays for aspect, steepness, etc.

And you can look at pretty much anywhere worldwide, not just ski resorts, and turn on different activity filters (this is the "Resort Skiing" view which shows the trail map, and snowy view).

1669750120120.png
1669750301677.png

1669750150441.png

1669750791658.png

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also really like FATMAPS... it's an app and website, and gives a 3D model that you can pan/tilt, rotate, and zoom. Lots of fun to play with. You do have to create an account... but most of the functionality is free.
Yes, I like FATMAPS too. I went ahead and bought a paid subscription, though its not clear to me what extra it gives over the free.
Taos is a bit out of date, Lifts 5 and 6 are still shown.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not they. Bacon.
So far, he seems to be doing a good job of applying the Aspen model. A very high luxury level is available for the high rollers, while still being fairly friendly to us (semi)dirtbags. Obviously there is some displacement (e.g. Stray Dog gone, affordable walking distance condos squeezed out, ...) but I can live with it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So far, he seems to be doing a good job of applying the Aspen model. A very high luxury level is available for the high rollers, while still being fairly friendly to us (semi)dirtbags. Obviously there is some displacement (e.g. Stray Dog gone, affordable walking distance condos squeezed out, ...) but I can live with it.

Price of staying in business. That or become another listing in the Lost Ski Area of the US.
Not much of a choice.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It's amazing that a map makes a better map than a painting, isn't it?
It's the aerial view that's so helpful. It's flat; there are no hills with shadows to cloud up the clarity of the image. I can remember the flat map more easily than a normal illustrated 3-D trail map.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Wow, Taos plans to replace a lot of lifts. Running a ski area isn't for those light on capital. It's remarkable they make it work in the middle of nowhere NM. :thumb: :thumb:

It's only about 3.5 hours from Colorado Springs, which is not much further than Summit on a bad traffic day and closer than Aspen & CB. Only another 1 - 1.5 hours for much of Denver. I'm continually amazed that Taos hasn't been completely overrrun by Coloradans yet. Do people not realize it's down there or what? :)

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's only about 3.5 hours from Colorado Springs, which is not much further than Summit on a bad traffic day and closer than Aspen & CB. Only another 1 - 1.5 hours for much of Denver. I'm continually amazed that Taos hasn't been completely overrrun by Coloradans yet. Do people not realize it's down there or what? :)
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dunno about that. Seems like every time I'm there I spy sbrown lurking behind a pair of aviators on the deck at the Phoenix.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went ahead and bought a paid subscription, though its not clear to me what extra it gives over the free.

From the website:

1669755463688.png
Taos is a bit out of date, Lifts 5 and 6 are still shown.
Yeah... I don't know how often they update or where that data is pulled from. It's a LOT of data for all resorts/areas they have maps for.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From the website:

View attachment 184471

Yeah... I don't know how often they update or where that data is pulled from. It's a LOT of data for all resorts/areas they have maps for.
So basically the upsell is for folks who are using the maps for actual on-the-ground navigation.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I love maps... I tend to pore over trail maps a bit when I go someplace new, and like finding my way around and using the maps at the top of the lifts. I also really like FATMAPS... it's an app and website, and gives a 3D model that you can pan/tilt, rotate, and zoom. Lots of fun to play with. You do have to create an account... but most of the functionality is free.

Here are some views of Taos... you can move things around, and if you click on a run you get a description and run stats. There are also overlays for aspect, steepness, etc.

And you can look at pretty much anywhere worldwide, not just ski resorts, and turn on different activity filters (this is the "Resort Skiing" view which shows the trail map, and snowy view).

View attachment 184452
View attachment 184463

View attachment 184456

View attachment 184465
What really caught my attention was the fact that @dbostedo was scoping out Stauffy. I see a goal-oriented posse forming here. I'm up for second lemming.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What really caught my attention was the fact that @dbostedo was scoping out Stauffy. I see a goal-oriented posse forming here. I'm up for second lemming.
I'm sure @mdf would be happy to be the first Lemming. I'll be on Whitefeather. :P

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm continually amazed that Taos hasn't been completely overrrun by Coloradans yet. Do people not realize it's down there or what?

Oh, believe me they do. We have a whole parking lot of Sprinter vans with CO plates when storms tracked south.

We can pick them out on the hill. High energy turns in the steeps & bumps. Make for shorter, choppier bumps. :nono: