• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
He hates it when we do that. It makes him feel old.

I am old. That doesn't mean you guys have to go and mess up the bumps.
For all the energy you guys wasted, might as well take up XC. Don't have to jump around like idiots. We got gravity at Taos.

Usually those guys show up for couple days and make a mess of the place. Lots of sitzmarks.
On a 12" powder day, was standing on top of Rhoda with couple regulars. Four guys came rolling in and jump in front of us. Hooping and hollering. We looked at each other and said WTF? All four crashed and burn within 4 turns. Big time. We skied by them with their faces in the snow and said, "Learn to ski and have your Mom teach you boys some manners. You guys are way over your head. Stick with the groomer the next run."

Those guys think it's fun and de rigueur to do face plants in trees. :huh:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Price of staying in business. That or become another listing in the Lost Ski Area of the US.
Not much of a choice.
That came out a bit snarkier than I meant. I like Aspen, and I'd rather have a few rich people spending gobs of money than lots of crowds each spending a little money ... but Aspen and Taos still have ways we can enjoy them/

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That came out a bit snarkier than I meant. I like Aspen, and I'd rather have a few rich people spending gobs of money than lots of crowds each spending a little money ... but Aspen and Taos still have ways we can enjoy them/

No issues with your post. It's nice for the big wigs pay for our skiing. They have a great time cruising the groomers and we get to track up the rest. :beercheer:

As Mamie always said, someone HAVE to pay for our skiing. It ain't us. They lose money on us every season. We are dirt bag proud.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, porcupine is open I see, way earlier than last year. That's a nice run... My GS skies are pulsating..

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately NM got skunked on this last storm. All wind and few flakes. Forecast for more if the same for the next one too. We have had a few La Nina years I recall where the snow just stopped at the border. Hope this isn't one of them.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The forecasted storm for past Tuesday didn't pan out. The 10" fresh on Sunday wasn't forecasted neither.
Coverage is decent on the hill for late Nov/early Dec. I have seen much worse.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately NM got skunked on this last storm. All wind and few flakes. Forecast for more if the same for the next one too. We have had a few La Nina years I recall where the snow just stopped at the border. Hope this isn't one of them.

The forecasted storm for past Tuesday didn't pan out. The 10" fresh on Sunday wasn't forecasted neither.
Coverage is decent on the hill for late Nov/early Dec. I have seen much worse.

All grass and mud here. We're in a rain - wind - freeze - rain cycle. So yeah, could be worse.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All grass and mud here. We're in a rain - wind - freeze - rain cycle. So yeah, could be worse.

I have seen many dry VT Christmas over the years. That just the way things are. Mother Nature does whatever she pleases. I have learn not to agonize over things I have no control over.

FWIW, I have been on skis yet. Even though I am looking at the slope everyday. Doesn't bother me a bit. Too many other more urgent matters at hand. Extended our stay by another two weeks.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW Sunday River is actually skiing pretty good today, considering all the rain we had yesterday. They managed to get a groom in after the temps dropped.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
It should be getting to you tonight... the cold front arrived in the Adirondacks, blowing stink today 30F with the lake effect snows back on, we should pick up some natural and snow guns are blazing-- it's headed your way :)

Hope you got your basement drained and no more illness in your house! My office has same issues- leaky old basement- last week the float ball on the sump pump Vibrated off so i had a 6" of water in the basement UGH- fortunately i went to the office to check- such a pain, just one more thing to worry about all winter.. hoping the frost gets back so the water stops..

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The webcam is not working, someone needs to fix that ASAP!!!!!!! <insert icon of guy having a melt-down>

Sponsor

Staff online