• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are typically 4 options... note I'll differentiate here between Taos Ski Valley (TSV) and Taos the town (Taos) which are about a half hour drive apart.

1) Stay in the base village

Somewhat expensive, but nice to be walkable to the slopes, or slope-side. The Blake is the fancy hotel they put in a few years ago and is very nice. Snake Dance, Powderhorn, and Alpine Village suites are central and popular. Plus there are quite a few condos/townhouses for rent. Some of them are a short walk, and some of them are a hilly walk, so you might want to figure that out before booking. (The altitude can be a killer on a long uphill walk back to a condo.)

2) Stay in the canyon down the road

A couple of miles down the canyon road from TSV there is a small group of hotels. I'm not sure which are still operating. Last season I think one or two were closed. The disadvantage here is you still need to drive or take a shuttle to the slopes, and it's a longer drive into the town of Taos is you want to get groceries or hit the restaurants.

3) Stay in Arroyo Seco on another area between the town of Taos, and Taos Ski Valley

This is what I did at the last couple of Gatherings, and what I'm planning to do for 2023. 15 minute drive to ski, 15 minute drive to Taos. There aren't a ton of places - it's pretty rural - but you can find some.

4) Stay in Taos

The town is cool, though not really a typical ski town. It's a little more sprawling, and not as fancy. But there are coffee shops, and restaurants, and breweries, and I've usually made the trip into town once or twice for dinner no matter where I'm staying. The only drawback is the drive to ski.

As far as driving, TSV is up a windy canyon road, a little reminiscent of Alta/Snowbird, though with much less chance of it being a white-knuckle snowy drive. They maintain it well so it's usually fine. Still on a good snow day, it could be a bit treacherous.

As for when to book, last there seemed to be a fear that you needed to book early, hence these early announcements. In past seasons, I've usually booked in September, or as late as October. For 2023, I've just reserved a place as an option.
Great post. The one thing I'd add is that sleeping is much more restful for flatlanders like me when using option 3 or 4.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great post. The one thing I'd add is that sleeping is much more restful for flatlanders like me when using option 3 or 4.
One thing to add is the elevation drops as you get away from TSV, which is what Tony is referring to I believe. I like being on the mtn, but since I live at sea level, I am choosing #3 for lower elevation. Check the map for the exact elevations

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Talking with Madeline - she is thinking about getting her ski week. Flights seem cheap from SLC to ABQ. The wheels are turning.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are typically 4 options... note I'll differentiate here between Taos Ski Valley (TSV) and Taos the town (Taos) which are about a half hour drive apart.

1) Stay in the base village

Somewhat expensive, but nice to be walkable to the slopes, or slope-side. The Blake is the fancy hotel they put in a few years ago and is very nice. Snake Dance, Powderhorn, and Alpine Village suites are central and popular. Plus there are quite a few condos/townhouses for rent. Some of them are a short walk, and some of them are a hilly walk, so you might want to figure that out before booking. (The altitude can be a killer on a long uphill walk back to a condo.)

2) Stay in the canyon down the road

A couple of miles down the canyon road from TSV there is a small group of hotels. I'm not sure which are still operating. Last season I think one or two were closed. The disadvantage here is you still need to drive or take a shuttle to the slopes, and it's a longer drive into the town of Taos is you want to get groceries or hit the restaurants.

3) Stay in Arroyo Seco on another area between the town of Taos, and Taos Ski Valley

This is what I did at the last couple of Gatherings, and what I'm planning to do for 2023. 15 minute drive to ski, 15 minute drive to Taos. There aren't a ton of places - it's pretty rural - but you can find some.

4) Stay in Taos

The town is cool, though not really a typical ski town. It's a little more sprawling, and not as fancy. But there are coffee shops, and restaurants, and breweries, and I've usually made the trip into town once or twice for dinner no matter where I'm staying. The only drawback is the drive to ski.

As far as driving, TSV is up a windy canyon road, a little reminiscent of Alta/Snowbird, though with much less chance of it being a white-knuckle snowy drive. They maintain it well so it's usually fine. Still on a good snow day, it could be a bit treacherous.

As for when to book, last there seemed to be a fear that you needed to book early, hence these early announcements. In past seasons, I've usually booked in September, or as late as October. For 2023, I've just reserved a place as an option.
Super helpful..I was definitely picturing the Jackson/JHMR analogy so it sounds about right other than Jackson and JHMR are basically at the same elevation. I think combining that with the LCC canyon road (although less treacherous) makes it pretty clear. As I began looking at places to stay...it was clear there were a bunch of different geographies. I didn't realize TSV was quite so high..I'm used to staying in Mammoth Lakes but that is some serious elevation at the base. Since I can see the ocean from my house in CA...I'm definitely a flatlander :). Decisions, decisions. I like a little bit of social life at night..going out to dinner a few times or whatever so that may steer me toward TSV or Taos, I'm gonna have to mull it over a bit.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I made my first trip to Taos on their closing weekend last season. My embarrassing gasping after walking up a half-flight of stairs at the base made me seriously glad nobody was pushing me to bootpack Highline Ridge and a restful night's sleep at base-level wasn't easy even with the assistance of some decent bourbon and a room humidifier. Finally got acclimated around the time the shuttle picked me up to go home.

I spent my last night in Taos at the historic Taos Inn. The staff was terrific, the accommodations as good as any I'd ever experienced, and the cost was reasonable. I didn't try the restaurant there but had a very nice meal and drinks at the bar and, finally, got a great night's sleep.

For this year I made a reservation at the Brownell Chalet but just got notified that they'd messed up and could only give me a room for the first four days of the Gathering. I'm planning on driving from that's not an issue but I really want to do the ski week. I'm looking into accommodation alternatives now. Anyone with ideas for condo sharing for $250 or less per night?

@Tex: If you're planning to come solo maybe consider carpooling with me in my wife's Subaru?

Reactions: Tex

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
$250 or less per night?
This is an easy threshold to meet if you're staying in the valley. Worst case you can get a solo
Airbnb casita for $150 or less all in.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately no word yet on whether the free shuttle between Taos and TSV will be running again this season. That opens up more lodging possibilities for those without personal transportation or just don't want to deal with driving and parking. I believe the old schedule even had it running late enough for dinner down in the valley for those staying slope side.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Unfortunately no word yet on whether the free shuttle between Taos and TSV will be running again this season. That opens up more lodging possibilities for those without personal transportation or just don't want to deal with driving and parking. I believe the old schedule even had it running late enough for dinner down in the valley for those staying slope side.

Before Covid there was there a shuttle from Albuquerque airport to TSV wasn't there?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Before Covid there was there a shuttle from Albuquerque airport to TSV wasn't there?
There was a service. Not sure you could call it a shuttle, exactly. I looked into it. Not cheap. It could have been a good option if you were very clear that you were just going to stay up at TSV for the duration, with no need to go "down the hill" for groceries, tourism, restaurants, or whatever. Or maybe if you knew that you were going to meet a buddy with a car, that would enable those activities.

I'm still threatening to splurge on a visit to Ojo Caliente while I'm there this time.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tex: If you're planning to come solo maybe consider carpooling with me in my wife's Subaru?
Thanks for the offer Matt. I am planning to roll solo, and I like having my own ride. My truck with camper top will be loaded with gear.

I'm booked at El Pueblo Lodge in Taos, Sat 2/4 thru Sat night 2/11. I stayed there once last year, it really is a top notch lodge. With tax and all, I'm paying $195 a night, includes legendary breakfast they are know for. This is not something they talk about, kinda bonus I guess, but afternoons they service food as well, like stews etc.., heck you could make dinner of that if you want. They also have lots of spots to cook outside with BBQ pits, so I plan to do some of that as well.

I'll make the drive to Taos Fri 2/3, will stay at a cheap place outside of Taos Friday night (I might camp), Saturday morning I'll drive into TSV, I'll be sking Saturday thru Saturday. And I plan on doing ski week as well.

Really look forward to meeting all you guys and making some turns.

Last edited:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you guys have any questions about lodging, post up I'll try and help. I made several trips there last season and have done a lot or research on places to stay. I'm a big fan of ski in/ski out, but not too crazy about it in TSV. 1) It is really expensive, 2) spots are limited, and 3) limited with places to eat out. And the drive into TSV is not bad, I like the drive, and the parking and the cattle truck system works great and is enjoyable.

Hotel La Fonda de Taos looks like a really good spot.. I have not stayed there, but I have had my eye on it, it's right there in Taos Plaza..

If you are looking for something different, check out Hotel Luna Mystical. I have been tempted to stay there, right accross the road from the airport.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having never done a Gathering I'm wondering how the location of my accommodations would affect social activities during the week or whether road closures might be a concern. Pending others' opinions I'd definitely consider staying at the Taos Inn versus slopeside.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

There was/is airport shuttle from ABQ to Taos, Ayorro Seco

[email protected] is the email..
driver "Peter" lives in Taos. he did run last year my flights didn't work with his schedule. SUPER NICE GUY Btw!

BUT it only runs 2x/day up and down so you have to have flights that match- 1st year going I had to wait 2hrs from my arrival.
Last year My flight got in later than last shuttle so I rented a car and the return didn't allow me to ski my last day.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
If you are looking for something different, check out Hotel Luna Mystical. I have been tempted to stay there, right accross the road from the airport.

I usually stay at the El Pueblo but tried out Luna Mystica last season and WILL DEFINITELY RETURN. All old trailers upgraded. Quiet and very fun....with a great view of the weather in the Ski Valley...

20220315_181204.jpg
20220315_181018.jpg
20220315_181235.jpg
20220315_181230.jpg
20220315_175559.jpg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having never done a Gathering I'm wondering how the location of my accommodations would affect social activities during the week or whether road closures might be a concern. Pending others' opinions I'd definitely consider staying at the Taos Inn versus slopesid
I would not worry about road closures.. Any spot along 64/150 you are good. Taos Inn looks like a cool spot, you are right there in the middle of things.. Everyone is probably going to scatter all up and down 64/150. If you want to do an Airbnb, I would find something along 150. That first stretch on 150 from 64, lots of options (condos) there on west side of 150, then past Arroyp Seco there are lots more Airbnb places.

Sponsor