• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
I always figured the early opening for hiking was a sop to the traditionalists.
There's definitely an element of this involved, and there were a few people hiking it yesterday. There was too much wind to seriously consider opening the lift.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking forward to it! Skied almost everywhere in N America except for Taos. Given the snow conditions....great early season like most everywhere...with just some small refreshes wondering if I brings my One Oh ski like my Enforcers or my 90ish ski....thoughts for those who are going and know the terrain?

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always figured the early opening for hiking was a sop to the traditionalists.
I figured PisteOff was talking about the initial opening. But yeah when it snows, they close the lift to reward the hikers, and this is after the patrols get their runs in first. It is normally a few days after a storm before they open the lift.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking forward to it! Skied almost everywhere in N America except for Taos. Given the snow conditions....great early season like most everywhere...with just some small refreshes wondering if I brings my One Oh ski like my Enforcers or my 90ish ski....thoughts for those who are going and know the terrain?

88/90

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I figured PisteOff was talking about the initial opening. But yeah when it snows, they close the lift to reward the hikers, and this is after the patrols get their runs in first. It is normally a few days after a storm before they open the lift.
Yes, the first opening of the season. They like to pack it out first time. A patroller was explaining it to Kevin and I on a ride up 4 one morning. They had just opened Kachina to hike for the first time that season and we asked about the lift opening. Somewhat akin to the bootpackers at Highland Bowl. Helps stabilize the snowpack before there is heavy traffic.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kachina is not open yet, but I see on the web cam they are running it, so probably any day now they will open it, hopefully it will be open all next week when we are there. The good news if we don't get any snow they will not close it, if it snows automatic closure for ski patrols and hikers lol.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I'm tired of skiing alone. I met Agrump in the cafeteria and out front and I'm looking for all of you.

Can we make a meeting time tomorrow morning to ski with all of you who are here? I'm black pants orange jacket and white helmet with the old man beard if you see me snag me.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Who is skiing next week gathering and NOT doing ski school? Looks like I can drive up for a day or two only. No ski week for me :(

And is anybody skiing Santa Fe this Friday or Saturday?

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Who is skiing next week gathering and NOT doing ski school? Looks like I can drive up for a day or two only. No ski week for me :(

You can ski with me.
Not sure that's a good thing though.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I love skiing with you! It is a good things for me for sure.

You do have to sign an accidental death and dismemberment waiver prior to skiing with us. NO worries, it's always accidental. :ogbiggrin:

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm tired of skiing alone. I met Agrump in the cafeteria and out front and I'm looking for all of you.

Can we make a meeting time tomorrow morning to ski with all of you who are here? I'm black pants orange jacket and white helmet with the old man beard if you see me snag me.
I will look out for you. My class starts at 9:30...

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hunziker Bowl is holding up well this week with some blown in snow, and no deterioration Sunday to Tues (today) .
Indeed it is true that Kachina chair was spinning all day Monday and Tues. Hiking has been allowed for a day or two.
Some pix from mid aft today:
@MarzNC at the point where Bowl narrows 1B43DA0A-3EB5-4BB3-A315-5ADE8D9B26A6.jpeg then a view East (half moon barely visible just below clouds in center) 3704B250-4F1A-4D7F-93B0-DFDADE2BF132.jpeg and then view of runout. 61B9AEC4-414D-4D16-8A98-A3B52D7EEF6F.jpeg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They have nearly 100% off the mountain open, all but 3 runs.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just crossed my name off Taos roll call list. I caught COVID in salt lake on first leg of my trip. Quarantined after 2 ski days. Feeling better but not 100%. In steamboat now and back skiing. Calling it a trip on Saturday and flying back to Boston to fully recover. Don't want to put anyone at risk, my wife caught it from me and that's enough. Have fun in Taos everyone

Sponsor