• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm arriving Sunday late morning. Haven't decided if I plan to take any lessons or just enjoy exploring the mtn. I have a friend coming but he's just getting back into skiing and won't be skiing with me. Another buddy coming up mid week who's a great skier but needs a hip replacement so he can't log multiple days.

Just let me know how to connect with you guys on the mtn. Looking forward to it. Conditions look good!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
COVID ...
Sorry to hear that. It's been awhile since we've skied together.

As it happens, I'm in covid isolation at Taos myself. (Got in 6 ski days beforehand.)
It's a pretty mild case, and I'm taking paxlovid. I'm going to be rereading the cdc guidelines and figuring out when it is socially responsible to rejoin the world. Pretty soon now!

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
Unfortunately I got banged up last week skiing, plus managed to catch a cold, so will miss this year's Taos meeting. Hopefully next year!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Got some snow in Texas, cook’n ribs my daughters favorite, but that pork shoulder is primarily for the trip, gonna take that to Taos and eat pulled pork sandwiches all week.

5DE8E882-772A-4584-A275-5ED61D17E7DC.jpeg 56AF7262-50F6-47B1-8C79-9B830D46646D.jpeg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who is skiing next week gathering and NOT doing ski school? Looks like I can drive up for a day or two only. No ski week for me :(

And is anybody skiing Santa Fe this Friday or Saturday?
We are coming up for a few days too. No skis week. What days are you going to be there? Skiing SSF tomorrow. Don't do weekends if we can avoid them.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Daily meet-ups

Typically, folks tend to meetup in the locker room or at lift 1 at opening (9:00 AM) to get a warm-up lap or two in before the morning lessons (which start at ~9:30).

Then after lunch, there's another chance to meet-up and form some groups at ~1:00, again near lift one, as shown in the diagram below. And Taos is not all that large, and there's a pretty good chance you'll run into folks around the mountain during the morning or afternoon too.
I boot up in the parking lot. I think a chance to connect with everyone is Whistlestop 9:30, we meet there everyday for ski week, right (Sun-Fri)? Even if you are not doing ski week, great place to meet up and say hi. Ski week ends at 12:30. I normally do not eat lunch, but I take water breaks at Whistlestop, seems like the most convenient place to fill the water bottle and use the restroom. Like D says it is a small place, ski lift 1 & 2 (checkout whistlestop), 7 and 4 you will probably see a ski talker somewhere... I'll gladly post up frequently where I'm turning and burning!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll be up Wednesday and Thursday. Likely Wed afternoon and Thursday. Staying Wed. night at El Pueblo. Hope to ski with some non-ski-week folks.

Was going for Friday since there will be a little new snow then, but no reservations available on Ikon, so it's gonna be busy on the hill that day!

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll be up Wednesday and Thursday. Likely Wed afternoon and Thursday. Staying Wed. night at El Pueblo. Hope to ski with some non-ski-week folks.

Was going for Friday since there will be a little new snow then, but no reservations available on Ikon, so it's gonna be busy on the hill that day!
Oh man..thx for mentioning that. I forgot to get my reservations so I was able to get reservations for mon-th. Sunday was all booked up. Will the Ikon pass work without the reservation? Anyone have any experience with that?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think it will, but then I've never had to use the reservation system at Taos before. Maybe call them up? I imagine that you could also check periodically online, since people sometimes book a bunch of dates and then cancel.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
We are coming up for a few days too. No skis week. What days are you going to be there? Skiing SSF tomorrow. Don't do weekends if we can avoid them.
Current plan is to drive up early Sunday to meet up at 9:00. Friday the 10th is doable too. Trying to squeeze either Monday or Tuesday too

update: may be my plan will not work out due to Ikon reservations unavailability

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will the Ikon pass work without the reservation?
No experience, but I doubt it. Otherwise why have reservations? I had a pass problem at Loon where it wouldn't scan at the lift, and the first thing they asked at customer service was whether or not I had a reservation (which I did).

I don't know how dynamic they are - like if more are likely to be available closer or day-of.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have experience at Taos, but at other areas with reservations I've been able to find one the night before and/or morning of when previously reservations weren't available.

Sponsor

Staff online