• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am in the midst of replacing a boiler. Thought about your post and this song from Fred came to mind.
Fabulous movie and Irving Berlin number. One of the upsides of having had (much) older parents is that I was exposed to stuff like this as a kid, and it left an impression. So glad this is what you were referring to. (When I first read your post in email, it didn't have the hyperlink. I was thinking, "What song? Which Fred? Fred Rogers? Fred Chopin?")

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fabulous movie and Irving Berlin number. One of the upsides of having had (much) older parents is that I was exposed to stuff like this as a kid, and it left an impression. So glad this is what you were referring to. (When I first read your post in email, it didn't have the hyperlink. I was thinking, "What song? Which Fred? Fred Rogers? Fred Chopin?")
And I was trying to think of what Freddie Mercury song he was referring to!
Fred Astaire . . . wonderful!
Now check this out!!! Kills me every time!

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You gonna propress or sweat those pipes ?
I know you ain’t a pex guy

There is only one copper connection - a short section of water feed. Can't justify a propress since I am no longer in the business. If I was doing more, I would borrow one from a friend or buy one.

We always set up our multi-family units with a manifold system that is completely separate from boiler unit. The manifold is connected to the boiler with 1-1/4" (or larger) pipes. The whole system is installed with maintenance in mind.

I'll send you a pic when I find one.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
There is only one copper connection - a short section of water feed. Can't justify a propress since I am no longer in the business. If I was doing more, I would borrow one from a friend or buy one.

We always set up our multi-family units with a manifold system that is completely separate from boiler unit. The manifold is connected to the boiler with 1-1/4" (or larger) pipes. The whole system is installed with maintenance in mind.

I'll send you a pic when I find one.
I wanna have a propress tool around
Red one preferably with some of those megapressG for the gas line
The cost around these parts for plumbing is at full insanity level
If they even care to show up at your doorstep

edit:
This tool collection stuff is far worse than the ski collecting stuff

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting back to Taos Gathering related items... Tricia posted this thread that with the same info, that may be of interest:

Been there, done that. Got the tee shirt.

Let's try to keep up, eh.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Been there, done that. Got the tee shirt.

Let's try to keep up, eh.

Keep up? I obviously did.... that's why I quoted Jerez's post that had a link to the same info, and noted that it was the same info. :ogbiggrin: But I thought folks might want to join another conversation about it.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This will be my first SkiTalk gathering and, at the risk of sounding like a Lonely Guy, I have lots of (not plumbing-related) questions if the old hands will humor me...

a) Will there be any identifying marks on SkiTalkers for spotting on the hill?
b) Does the Gathermeister typically attempt to gather the group for lunches, dinners and/or evening cocktails and bourbon tastings?
c) Might any particular participant be expected to try to gather interested parties to rent a slopeside condo or house together?
d) Might someone with the appropriate accommodations typically try to put together a spaghetti dinner for the group?
e) Will Tex's performance of "Wild Thing" be the best I can hope for from the group, musically?
f) Would the majority be expected to sign up for Taos' Ski Week program?

• Haha
Reactions: Tex

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This will be my first SkiTalk gathering and, at the risk of sounding like a Lonely Guy, I have lots of (not plumbing-related) questions if the old hands will humor me...

b) Does the Gathermeister typically attempt to gather the group for lunches, dinners and/or evening cocktails and bourbon tastings?
c) Might any particular participant be expected to try to gather interested parties to rent a slopeside condo or house together?
d) Might someone with the appropriate accommodations typically try to put together a spaghetti dinner for the group?
e) Will Tex's performance of "Wild Thing" be the best I can hope for from the group, musically?

I'll answer as truthful as I can without hurting anyone's feeling.
a) Look for the cluster of clueless gapers milling around chair #1 at 9:00 am. Thems are the boys/gals you be looking for.

b) Generally a futile task like herding cats.

c) They are not expected to. But many do.

d) C'mon guy, we gotta do better than spaghetti for people to show up.

e) You can still hear after that?

f) Yes.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm on a lame conference call, so I'll take a shot.

Dave usually brings streamers that can be attached to helmet or poles. I find looking for a large group of skiers following an a guy with unbuckled boots (KG) through the bumps is a good identifier. In all seriousness, most of us like brightly colored gear and are easy to pick out.
VERY loosely. Related to question "f", the majority sign up for ski week and boot up in the lower locker room. There's not much need for a morning meet up. Lunch, yes - generally after the morning instruction session you'll find a group gathered for lunch. Evening entertainment is TBD based on COVID status. Last year was unusual with some gatherers opting for more isolation than others. I'm hoping the upcoming season is back to normal. You will get to know people and naturally find social activities.
This tends to happen organically. If you are looking for a group to bunk up with, come up with a plan and post it to interested parties on this thread. It's an interesting social study. I'll suggest our group has it's cliques, but it's not like high school cliques. Just the natural grouping of people with similar interests, tastes and tolerances. oh yea, and skiing ability. We all love to ski, we just do it in varying forms of intensity.
An off-shoot of question "b" - likely TBD. Historically there's been an opportunity for a big pot-luck type of get together. Otherwise, if you get in good with the larger houses, there will be opportunities for group cook-ins.
Likely? I know there are a number of musicians in the group. @dbostedo can sing falsetto. I am willing to bring my guitar for someone to play.
Expected? No. Other than "you better love snow", expectations from this bunch are low. I am on the fence for ski week, pending forecasted snow conditions. If there's fresh snow, I can't concentrate enough for instruction.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Conditions have to be right for me to do Wild Thing. There as to be lots of snow, lots of sun, lots of beer.... Its like my daughter, when we go skiing, she's always asking me to crush a beer against my head, I don't just willy nilly do stuff like that.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.