• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Due to some scheduling issues, I'm currently undecided on whether to do the Taos mini-gathering this season. The two previous times I did the Taos gathering, I stayed up at TSV. This year, if I decide to attend, I'm undecided between staying again in TSV or in the town of Taos. For those staying in Taos town, do you drive up to TSV every morning? Mostly on your own, or pre-arranged car pool? Or the public shuttle bus? Same questions for the late afternoon / early evening return to Taos town after skiing.

Thanks!

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was there for the closing weekend last season and stayed all but my last night at TSV. Because I flew in on Taos Air I got a free shuttle from the airport to the resort. For my return I got an Uber-type ride from a nice guy named Jim Bradley (575) 770-0275 who's a pro bass player with an impressive musical resume. Cost was $50 cash plus tip for TSV-Taos and a little less for Taos-Airport. I was told that at one time there was regular shuttle service from Taos to TSV but I was told that they couldn't get drivers so the company shut down for the season at some point prior to my visit. Personally, I wouldn't stay in town without a car.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Due to some scheduling issues, I'm currently undecided on whether to do the Taos mini-gathering this season. The two previous times I did the Taos gathering, I stayed up at TSV. This year, if I decide to attend, I'm undecided between staying again in TSV or in the town of Taos. For those staying in Taos town, do you drive up to TSV every morning? Mostly on your own, or pre-arranged car pool? Or the public shuttle bus? Same questions for the late afternoon / early evening return to Taos town after skiing.

Thanks!
The SOP for staying in the valley is to share both lodging and a rental car with other Pugs. Built-in carpooling.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
For those staying in Taos town, do you drive up to TSV every morning? Mostly on your own, or pre-arranged car pool? Or the public shuttle bus? Same questions for the late afternoon / early evening return to Taos town after skiing.
I did 5 trips last season.

Trip #1, stayed in TSV, did not like it. Had to park my truck in a parking lot far from the condo I rented, took my daughter, really did not even drive my truck the whole time. We stayed at Powderhorn, and that was a pretty good walk to/from the lift, I love ski-in/ski-out, but this was not it. If I stay in TSV, I would not mess with a car, fly in, take shuttle to/from airport.

The other 4 trips, stayed in/around town, and drove to/from TSV. From the middle of town (The Plaza), it is 19 miles one way and 30 min drive. I like the drive, it is relaxing, great scenery, and I drink coffee on the way there. The public parking is great, they have the cattle trailers that pick you up next to your truck, drop you off close to the lift (shorter walk than Powderhorn walk). I boot up in the parking lot as most do.

I like accommodations where I can park my truck close to the my front door, like motel style, just easier walk to/from truck and hauling gear.

Where you stay in town makes a big difference in the drive. Stay on the north end, the further north the better, you are closer to TSV. I stayed in Quality inn one trip, south end of town, so a longer drive. 2 trips I stayed north end of Town, El Pueblo one trip at Kachina lodge the other trip, they are right across the street from each other, good location I think. These were solo trips. The 5th trip I did an AirBnB on 150 and took my daughter and my wife flew in, see screenshot below.. This is actually not in Taos, but is on the way driving to TSV, so the drive is a lot shorter. This area on 150 I think is great location for an AirBnB. Close to TSV, also close to Taos if you want to drive into town, and it is like minutes from the airport. From the Plaza up 64, then 150 to TSV, any AirBnB you can find would be a great location. If you look at the screen shot below, just north of where I stayed, there are some condos on the west side of 150, the parking lot has "Taos Shuttle" buses in the parking lot, so this might be a great location to stay where you fly in, I suspect they shuttle you to/from the airport and TSV.

Hope this helps, post up if you have any questions, I have studied all this a lot..

taos 150.JPG

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I put the updated price for Ski Week in the opening post...

The price for 2023 is $393 this year including tax, up $37 from last season.

Considering I paid $220 in 2018, it's starting to feel a bit expensive. But they did add a 1/2 hour per day to the lessons last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

Considering I paid $220 in 2018, it's starting to feel a bit expensive. But they did add a 1/2 hour per day to the lessons last year.
So it used to be a steal and now it's just a bargain. :duck:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Yup. The proportion of the week's cost devoted to lessons has become significant. Add in tip and you're talking real money.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
$37 is like a Epic burger and a glass of water (tap).

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
$37 is like a Epic burger and a glass of water (tap).
Sure. But it has gone up almost $35/year for 5 years. That's not insignificant.

I really shouldn't be slagging it though... it's still, IMO, a good deal, and I want as many people to come and enjoy as possible!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the main draw of the ski week is there are actually groups for advanced/expert skiers. Most other mountains' morning line up usually consisted of 43 beginners and 2 advanced skier (actually lower intermediate).

The real question is whether your skiing improved enough to worth the $400+tips. Often, the ah-ha moment occurs a while later in the season.

One of my ski week took me 5 years to totally unpack. The ROI on that one was off the chart.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did 5 trips last season.

Trip #1, stayed in TSV, did not like it. Had to park my truck in a parking lot far from the condo I rented, took my daughter, really did not even drive my truck the whole time. We stayed at Powderhorn, and that was a pretty good walk to/from the lift, I love ski-in/ski-out, but this was not it. If I stay in TSV, I would not mess with a car, fly in, take shuttle to/from airport.

The other 4 trips, stayed in/around town, and drove to/from TSV. From the middle of town (The Plaza), it is 19 miles one way and 30 min drive. I like the drive, it is relaxing, great scenery, and I drink coffee on the way there. The public parking is great, they have the cattle trailers that pick you up next to your truck, drop you off close to the lift (shorter walk than Powderhorn walk). I boot up in the parking lot as most do.

I like accommodations where I can park my truck close to the my front door, like motel style, just easier walk to/from truck and hauling gear.

Where you stay in town makes a big difference in the drive. Stay on the north end, the further north the better, you are closer to TSV. I stayed in Quality inn one trip, south end of town, so a longer drive. 2 trips I stayed north end of Town, El Pueblo one trip at Kachina lodge the other trip, they are right across the street from each other, good location I think. These were solo trips. The 5th trip I did an AirBnB on 150 and took my daughter and my wife flew in, see screenshot below.. This is actually not in Taos, but is on the way driving to TSV, so the drive is a lot shorter. This area on 150 I think is great location for an AirBnB. Close to TSV, also close to Taos if you want to drive into town, and it is like minutes from the airport. From the Plaza up 64, then 150 to TSV, any AirBnB you can find would be a great location. If you look at the screen shot below, just north of where I stayed, there are some condos on the west side of 150, the parking lot has "Taos Shuttle" buses in the parking lot, so this might be a great location to stay where you fly in, I suspect they shuttle you to/from the airport and TSV.

Hope this helps, post up if you have any questions, I have studied all this a lot..

View attachment 178129

Last year we stayed in a beautiful house in Arroyo Seco (more precisely El Prado). We wanted to stay there again, especially since I hid some good wine glasses in the garage. Unfortunately the price went way up, so I found another house nearby. Google maps says it is 19 minutes to the ski area and 14 minutes to World Cup Coffee (in Taos Town). I think it will be a good location.
taos_locations.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
One of the main draw of the ski week is there are actually groups for advanced/expert skiers. Most other mountains' morning line up usually consisted of 43 beginners and 2 advanced skier (actually lower intermediate).

The real question is whether your skiing improved enough to worth the $400+tips. Often, the ah-ha moment occurs a while later in the season.

One of my ski week took me 5 years to totally unpack. The ROI on that one was off the chart.
Who was your instructor?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. The proportion of the week's cost devoted to lessons has become significant. Add in tip and you're talking real money.
Indeed. We are struggling with the idea of spending that much and have yet to pull the proverbial trigger on the ski week. For the two of us, it is almost 1,000 dollars for lessons and tip on top of lodging at almost the same amount. After paying for the two passes for each of us,, that is getting past the point of discomfort. Especially with a La Nina year and the early February timing. We'd still come up but maybe ski 4 days, stay two nights depending on how the season shapes up.

Reactions: Tex

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Who was your instructor?

That was with Doug DeCoursey back in 1989. He is currently a PSIA examiner. Still doing ski weeks. Had some foot issues early season so he wasn't teaching the first part of last season. He usually teaches one of the top level groups. You can often see him in the afternoon doing instructor clinics.

I have found that personal chemistry has a lot to do with whether you click with an instructor or not.
Had Doug couple times in the past 10 years. Didn't feel the magic. Not that he has changed but I think it's more about me not at the same place as before. I have had weeks where my skiing totally overhauled by the end of the week. Often, that change take time. No hard and fast rules. We are always changing as a skiers so favorite instructor and what we are working on will often change with time.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That was with Doug DeCoursey back in 1989. He is currently a PSIA examiner. Still doing ski weeks. Had some foot issues early season so he wasn't teaching the first part of last season. He usually teaches one of the top level groups. You can often see him in the afternoon doing instructor clinics.

I have found that personal chemistry has a lot to do with whether you click with an instructor or not.
Had Doug couple times in the past 10 years. Didn't feel the magic. Not that he has changed but I think it's more about me not at the same place as before. I have had weeks where my skiing totally overhauled by the end of the week. Often, that change take time. No hard and fast rules. We are always changing as a skiers so favorite instructor and what we are working on will often change with time.
It's kind of amazing how thoroughly reasonable KG can come across in the virtual world.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Her teaching style and personality is a great fit for me.

Until it isn't.
We as skiers are constantly changing. Both in skillset and self. An occasional change up may prove beneficial.
Then there is that dreaded occupation of the peak of Mount Stupid in the fake Dunning-Kruger graph. Often the ideas presented by a new instructor will knock us off the peak.

Most of the Taos instructors I've had ski weeks with were very enlightening. I have learn something different from everyone of them. They have all enriched my life as a skier.

Doug D., Scott L. & Mile H. - Solid fundamentals.
Jean Mayer - Filling in the holes and rounding out my skiing.
Mike Z. - Teaching me about feel and touch. Even thought he is a wacko speed freak ex-racer.
Jeff M. - Body awareness. Independent movement of body parts.
Brian Y., Mark L. & Oscar - Finding and skiing the groomer within a bump run.
Barbara S. Derek G. & Carl S. - The enthusiasm, joy and fun of skiing.
Then there is free skiing with instructors in the afternoon. That is like eating at a buffet. My eyes are way bigger than my stomach.

It had been a phenomenal journey because of all the detours. I am still chugging along on the road. Still having fun.
Enjoy the journey. Safe travels & have fun.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The price for lessons is worth it IMO. Regular lessons at any of the mtns near me would be more expensive for the week and lesser consistency/quality. What really hurts is the price for kids lessons if you're taking a ski week.

Sponsor