• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Until it isn't.
We as skiers are constantly changing. Both in skillset and self. An occasional change up may prove beneficial.
Then there is that dreaded occupation of the peak of Mount Stupid in the fake Dunning-Kruger graph. Often the ideas presented by Ja new instructor will knock us off the peak.

Most of the Taos instructors I've had ski weeks with were very enlightening. I have learn something different from everyone of them. They have all enriched my life as a skier.

Doug D., Scott L. & Mile H. - Solid fundamentals.
Jean Mayer - Filling in the holes and rounding out my skiing.
Mike Z. - Teaching me about feel and touch. Even thought he is a wacko speed freak ex-racer.
Jeff M. - Body awareness. Independent movement of body parts.
Brian Y., Mark L. & Oscar - Finding and skiing the groomer within a bump run.
Barbara S. Derek G. & Carl S. - The enthusiasm, joy and fun of skiing.
Then there is free skiing with instructors in the afternoon. That is like eating at a buffet. My eyes are way bigger than my stomach.

It had been a phenomenal journey because of all the detours. I am still chugging along on the road. Still having fun.
Enjoy the journey. Safe travels & have fun.
That was beautiful KG.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
What's circled above in yellow, is that where I circle below is red? If so, that is pretty radical, I skied it a few times last season, but came in there at the bottom of Kachina, and I would go all the way across, nice powder to be found there, but there are rocks to watch out for all season long..

taso - Hunzinker.JPG

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What's circled above in yellow, is that where I circle below is red? If so, that is pretty radical, I skied it a few times last season, but came in there at the bottom of Kachina, and I would go all the way across, nice powder to be found there, but there are rocks to watch out for all season long..

View attachment 179812
1665009269597.png

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When you come in at the bottom of Kachina Peak lift. You get to ski Hunziker Bowl. Totally Weird is going past the bowl.

1665009075982.jpeg

The section on top of Hunziker bowl accessed from the Peak chair is known as upper Hunziker. The main chute coming down is called Hunziker Main. The section @mdf marked out is called Hunziker Dog Leg. Need lots of snow to ski that without massive base damage.

These photos show Hunziker Main and Dog Leg pretty well.

1665009328769.jpeg

1665009345230.jpeg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
And if you're @Snowfan, you fall the whole way down Hunziker main chute and thankfully come out relatively unscathed!

Us old people are tough and resilient. Not soft and squishy like you young'uns.
I've done the @Snowfan routine too. (Different chute, same ski area.) I was fine, but it was definitely not because I was tough and resilient. It was because of pure dumb luck. I am NOT interested in trying that again.

Lessons learned (somewhat tongue in cheek):
  • Make someone else go first and watch them. If they ace it, do what they did. If not, do something else.
  • Make sure there is someone else.
  • Have the third person film your goof so you know what not to do next time.
  • Make sure there is a third person.
  • Check your damn bindings.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Were you not fully clicked in or something? Or have the wrong DIN set?
:huh: Dunno. It remains forever a mystery. SOME form of operator error, for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online