• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone once pointed out to me that they're numbered as you'd get to them hiking the ridge before the Kachina lift existed.

So now we are doing things bassackward when we ski off the lift. :ogbiggrin:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks!

So, is this a correction, or a change in rope location? I think the former...
taos_compare.png

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like they may have cleared couple more lines past Pierre's. No names yet.
Could be an opportunistic move after the early season wind storm taken down many trees last year.

The section (Minnesota) below chair #7 were supposed to be cleared few years back. Haven't heard much about it. :huh:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like they may have cleared couple more lines past Pierre's. No names yet.
Could be an opportunistic move after the early season wind storm taken down many trees last year.

The section (Minnesota) below chair #7 were supposed to be cleared few years back. Haven't heard much about it. :huh:
Glading Minnesota is still in the Master Development Plan.
taos_master_development_plan.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@mdf I went to Taos last season for the first time. I paid no attention to the trail map as my mind was otherwise occupied. So I never knew where I was on the mountain. This map you just posted is the best one I've seen for sorting out the layout of everything. Thanks for posting it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf I went to Taos last season for the first time. I paid no attention to the trail map as my mind was otherwise occupied. So I never knew where I was on the mountain. This map you just posted is the best one I've seen for sorting out the layout of everything. Thanks for posting it.
It's amazing that a map makes a better map than a painting, isn't it?

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Yeah that is a cool map, gave me a different perspective of the mountain. When do they plan to build that base to base gondola? It should take you from the bottom of #1 to the top of #4, that would be sweet.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Glading Minnesota is still in the Master Development Plan.

Few seasons back, they were talking about it like it is the next best thing since sliced bread. I supposed other "more urgent" projects moved in front of it.

Contrary to common belief, the Grand Master Pan is ever evolving. I have seen master plans with a lift to the West Basin Ridge. Needless to say that master plan got supplanted by a grander master plan subsequently.

The base to base gondola is in the latest and greatest. They are trying to relieve the congestion off chair #1 early morning. Especially on powder days.
Also to eliminate the need to build more parking at Bavarian and to reduce traffic on Twining Road during the off seasons.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Contrary to common belief, the Grand Master Pan is ever evolving. I have seen master plans with a lift to the West Basin Ridge. Needless to say that master plan got supplanted by a grander master plan subsequently.
mdp_notes.png

Sponsor