• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This lowlander started his gathering today with a super mellow, sunny, calm day at Ski Santa Fe. Once I managed to huff and puff my way up the stairs to the lodge, it was exactly the kind of skiing I needed. (I've been promising myself not to start out too hot, hoping to avoid getting overtired or injured.) Unfortunately I was SO relaxed I pretty much blew off any photography but got a couple of shots off.

@Jerez and @pais alto were kind enough to guide @Dean and me around. Neither of us had been there. The groomers were perfection. Off piste was a little chalky in places but overall in good shape and not too crusty despite lack of recent new snow. It's a cozy area with lots of tree skiing. I liked it.

PXL_20230202_182541766.MP-01.jpeg PXL_20230202_213027326.MP-01.jpeg PXL_20230202_204336214.MP-01.jpeg PXL_20230202_182558086.MP-01.jpeg

Last edited:

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I introduced myself to @Snowfan /Erik at lunchtime and we did a fun run, Bambi, w a Diva friend, Lorraine, before she went in. Then Erik and I went back up
1and 2, dipped into some trees I had yet to visit, upper Japanese Flag I think, then Papa Bear for some bumps, then up lift 4 and over to Hunziker. Video and pix are all in his phone. Maybe he’ll post soon. Then up again to Shalako bumps (light getting flat) after which we ran into more Divas including @Keys2Ski and her freshly baked boots, Estelle, Regina, and Barbara. The group of us navigated some thinner cover on Middle Patton and cruised Baby Bear before parting ways. Streetcar had nice bumps once you got past the stream. Mild weather, soft surfaces, no people. A good time was had by all. I’m around thru Sunday. @Snowfan back on Monday.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nuts and bolts question: Has Taos joined the automated RFID lift gate crowd yet, or do I still have to dangle my Ikon pass from a reel?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was up at the top of Kachina at 10:30, 30 minutes after they opened the lift. I wasn't chasing; it just happened. Bad call on my part. Breakable crust all the way down. Not my finest hour. Hoping that a days worth of traffic has created a consistent surface for tomorrow. PXL_20230203_173434155.MP-01.jpeg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hand scan at lift 1 and 4 still. But Ikon pass instead of being issued paper tickets at the office.
Last time I was in Taos, I picked up a plastic pass sleeve that clicks onto my helmet strap. Totally worth the change it cost. It beats passes flapping around the face or opening and closing the jacket on a cold day. Have fun everyone. We’re going with the divas this year but we’ll join you all again next year!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
a 165 Stormrider 95? Is your wife/kid with you?
166. Are you knocking the ski or the length? It’s a popular ski with the locals. When I bought them last year at Le Ski Mastery, it was the owner’s every day ski, same binding as well. I have had a ton o positive comments on them, yours is the first negative comment I have had on them. I would have got them longer if the had them, that was the longest they had, but they told me that length would do better in the bumps.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
166. Are you knocking the ski or the length? It’s a popular ski with the locals. When I bought them last year at Le Ski Mastery, it was the owner’s every day ski, same binding as well. I have had a ton o positive comments on them, yours is the first negative comment I have had on them. I would have got them longer if the had them, that was the longest they had, but they told me that length would do better in the bumps.
Don't listen to him, Tex. He's just sore because he can't be here.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid