• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Absolutely stellar day at Taos today.

I joined these two on a chair yesterday afternoon around 2:00 and they asked me to show them around.

The one from Colorado likes bumps and trees. The one from Atlanta in the blue coat likes going fast. Laugh with me that the guy without a helmet is the fast one. Lol.

We did a bunch of both. I'm white helmet orange. They are long time friends who like to meet up at ski area's and ski together.

Today we met at 9:30 as Bluecoat Atlanta guy without a helmet was getting new demo ripsticks. His name is David. Orange coat is Robert from Colorado.

We went up chair one then chair two then down the back side ripping it fast into upper then lower Japanese Glade.

The plan was to ski the eastern rope runs first, in the sun, and work our way to the front side by the end of the day in the sun. There was slight overcast on and off throughout the day and it kept the snow magnificent.

We hiked past Kachina lift and a groomed Hunziker and did Totally Wired. It was amazing and we did it again straight lining the groomed Hunziker at speed.

Then we did Kachina and bumped into the governor again. He climbed and we rode the chair.
We hit Chicken Scratch...ever heard of that one?.

Then we did skiers right Juarez off the ridge.

Moving to the front we lapped Castor and Pollux after being wind filled overnight.

There were very few troughs and amazing long stretches of billiard table smooth... be sure to self arrest... steep grippy chalky wonderful odd precious snow.

I skied it two weeks ago and it was Volkswagen bug size bumps all the way down.

Turned out to be a wonderful day of a bunch of old guys having a gas.

Meeting the Colorado guy in the Orange coat at Crested Butte Saturday morning.

My Taos pass is blocked out for spring break so I'm in Colorado for 10 days +- on my Epic local.

I should have stayed to ski with you guys instead of playing golf :rolleyes: Have fun at Crested Butte!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
texas spring break crowd, Sunday.
I was looking yesterday at Taos and there were no lines. There were lines on Saturday but nothing unusual, I have seen longer on powder says.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
The line for rentals was out the door. They all stayed on the beginner runs leaving upper chairs free.
Why do Texans go to Taos as beginners? Seems like there’d be easier places to fly to.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do Texans go to Taos as beginners? Seems like there’d be easier places to fly to.
I thought he was talking about Santa Fe. Flying into Taos from Dallas via Taos Air is great, it does not get much better. All first class seats, no security, just walk on and off, as soon as you sit down they pour you some champagne. I do not like flying, but my wife does a lot, she said it was the best air lines she has flown on.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Anyone going to Taos this Friday or Saturday? @FlyingAce @Snowfan @pais alto ?
My Monday-Thursday Taos pass is blocked for spring break. Hope to meet later. I'm at Crested Butte on Epic local.
1678808281105.png
1678808314196.png
1678808334536.png
1678808373772.png
1678808395299.png

That's my car and that;s my dog Hazel. Edited to add free parking hacks. Take Snowmass exit R just before overpass for free parking and short walk to lift. Be there by 8:30. If full, continue under overpass and take first R exit just after "paid parking" for more free parking.

1678808452724.png

Steep knee deep in places. 43 inches in 3 days up high. Did Headwall, Spellbound Bowl and Glades, North Face, laps on Peel and a lot more.

Wonderful to see the kids racing....
1678809023671.png

And the freeride team being coached and flying. That kid is 15' in the air covering 25'+- landing steep and soft ez.
1678809781049.png

Fantastic trip continuing. I met up with the guy I skied with at Taos. He showed me around to the best stuff. New excellent friend.
1678809386967.png

He is on K2 Catamarans. Big ski. I am on G3 Highball 116 full rocker 180cm. Perfect ski for the last 2 days. Finally learning how to ride this ski. A blast in the trees.

Bluebird today. Winter Storm Warning for up to 24" by Thursday eve. I'm sore everywhere. This is dream stuff.

Attachments

• 1678808990168.png
    1678808990168.png
    990.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone going to Taos this Friday or Saturday? @FlyingAce @Snowfan @pais alto ?
Open Snow is calling for a mix of rain and snow on Wednesday for Taos. Yuck, but all snow for SSF. FYI. Total inches forecast for Thursday/Friday about the same for both. We are postponing our drive to Winter Park to take advantage.

Sponsor

Staff online