• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
OMG, guess I’m skiing powder all week. I was really wanting to ski some hard packed bumps all week, but a bunch of powder, ok I’ll take it.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Slightly off topic.. but there were food pics a long time ago in this thread so I'm going to ask anyway.. :)

Anyone have any great New Mexican dish recipes they love? I'm not much of a cook, at all.. but I have been dying for more authentic New Mexican food since getting back from Taos and I don't know where I can find that around me outside of making it myself! If you have a recipe or resource for this that you love, please share.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Slightly off topic.. but there were food pics a long time ago in this thread so I'm going to ask anyway.. :)

Anyone have any great New Mexican dish recipes they love? I'm not much of a cook, at all.. but I have been dying for more authentic New Mexican food since getting back from Taos and I don't know where I can find that around me outside of making it myself! If you have a recipe or resource for this that you love, please share.
Green chile sauce:

1 c. chopped roasted green chile
- peeled, de-stemmed, maybe seeded <- seeds're hot

1 sm. chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1 Tablespoon flour

1 sm. tomato, chopped

1 c. chicken broth

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

olive oil

Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until clear, stir in flour, blend well. Simmer and stir 2 minutes to cook flour, add remaining stuff, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 'til thick - maybe adding a bit of water.

The sauce goes well on eggs, burritos, tacos, chicken, whatever.

Green Chile Stew:

6-8 green chiles (peeled, de-stemmed)

2 lbs lean pork, cubed

oil

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 large potato, diced

2 tomatoes, chopped

chicken broth, water as needed

1/4 tsp. cumin

Braise pork in oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté 2 minutes. Throw everything else into the pot and cook It up.

Rellenos:

Large roasted green chiles, peeled, seeded, leave stems on

Cheese, cheddar &/or Monterey, cut into sticks

3 eggs, separated

1 Tablespoon H2O

3 Tablespoons flour

bread crumbs

1/4 teaspoon salt

oil (I use olive)

Slit and deseed chiles, stuff with cheese sticks.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.

Beat yolks with 1 T. water, 3 T. flour, salt, until thick and creamy. Fold the yolk mixture into the stiff whites.

Dip the chiles into the egg mixture, dredge them in bread crumbs, and fry them in 1/2 to 1 inch of oil until golden brown.

That deal with the eggs seems to be the key. I coat the chiles really thickly with the mixture and crumbs, We like to put green chile sauce (see above) over them, but that may be considered excessive by some people unless you're using mild chiles like Poblanos for the rellenos. I melt grated cheddar and Monterey cheese over that.

Posole (most people use red chile, I use green)

Braise a pound or so of cubed pork in your heavy pot, put a can of chicken broth and 3 cups or so of water in the pot, add 4 or 5 green (or red) chiles (peeled, de-stemmed, and if you don't want it too hot de-seeded), chopped, two cups of posole (whole hominy), some diced tomato, maybe a little cumin, some garlic.

Bring to a boil, simmer until the posole kernels pop open and are tender.

Serve with sopapillas or tortillas.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Green chile sauce:

1 c. chopped roasted green chile
- peeled, de-stemmed, maybe seeded <- seeds're hot

1 sm. chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1 Tablespoon flour

1 sm. tomato, chopped

1 c. chicken broth

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

olive oil

Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until clear, stir in flour, blend well. Simmer and stir 2 minutes to cook flour, add remaining stuff, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 'til thick - maybe adding a bit of water.

The sauce goes well on eggs, burritos, tacos, chicken, whatever.

Green Chile Stew:

6-8 green chiles (peeled, de-stemmed)

2 lbs lean pork, cubed

oil

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 large potato, diced

2 tomatoes, chopped

chicken broth, water as needed

1/4 tsp. cumin

Braise pork in oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté 2 minutes. Throw everything else into the pot and cook It up.

Rellenos:

Large roasted green chiles, peeled, seeded, leave stems on

Cheese, cheddar &/or Monterey, cut into sticks

3 eggs, separated

1 Tablespoon H2O

3 Tablespoons flour

bread crumbs

1/4 teaspoon salt

oil (I use olive)

Slit and deseed chiles, stuff with cheese sticks.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.

Beat yolks with 1 T. water, 3 T. flour, salt, until thick and creamy. Fold the yolk mixture into the stiff whites.

Dip the chiles into the egg mixture, dredge them in bread crumbs, and fry them in 1/2 to 1 inch of oil until golden brown.

That deal with the eggs seems to be the key. I coat the chiles really thickly with the mixture and crumbs, We like to put green chile sauce (see above) over them, but that may be considered excessive by some people unless you're using mild chiles like Poblanos for the rellenos. I melt grated cheddar and Monterey cheese over that.

Posole (most people use red chile, I use green)

Braise a pound or so of cubed pork in your heavy pot, put a can of chicken broth and 3 cups or so of water in the pot, add 4 or 5 green (or red) chiles (peeled, de-stemmed, and if you don't want it too hot de-seeded), chopped, two cups of posole (whole hominy), some diced tomato, maybe a little cumin, some garlic.

Bring to a boil, simmer until the posole kernels pop open and are tender.

Serve with sopapillas or tortillas.
Thank you!!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where does one get the green chiles in the northeast?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I go to the farmers’ market...here in NM. But that’s not what she asked. It’s kind of hard to make New Mexican dishes without New Mexican ingredients.
:huh:

Maybe there are canned Ortega brand ones in MA stores, and there’s always this:

Edit: @KingGrump got it.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Explain. (Usually a braise is meat cooked in the oven in liquid, often only half-immersed. So I'm confused.)
It’s like browning, but with a bit of flair and technique. I use the time-honored (and defined) Joy of Cooking method.
93E37B18-16AE-44D6-A4FC-381BF08C70E2.jpeg

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can often, but not always, find green Poblano chiles where I shop (Stop & Shop and Whole Foods Brookline and Brighton - my markets are pretty urban serving numerous ethnic populations so the produce selection is pretty broad.) Pretty sure it's the right kind for Chiles Rellenos and I think that is the "right" kind for roasting and peeling for the other dishes, but what do I know. Not always expensive, but supply is unpredictable. I buy 'em when I see 'em.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can often, but not always, find green Poblano chiles where I shop (Stop & Shop and Whole Foods Brookline and Brighton - my markets are pretty urban serving numerous ethnic populations so the produce selection is pretty broad.) Pretty sure it's the right kind for Chiles Rellenos and I think that is the "right" kind for roasting and peeling for the other dishes, but what do I know. Not always expensive, but supply is unpredictable. I buy 'em when I see 'em.
Poblanos work, especially if heat isn’t wanted, but the taste will be different than NM chile…which may not matter.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been able to get dried red chiles -- maybe hatch, maybe something similar -- but fresh green ones are hard to come by.
Years ago my wife and I participated in the "couples' gourmet" activity in the local Newcomers Club. I planned a NM meal, and we wound up sending someone down to the regional produce market in Chelsea MA to get a crate of chiles to dole out to the members.

Sponsor