• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

James

Out There
Instructor
NM Green chiles are good.
First exposure-
First time in Santa Fe, went to a Carl Jr’s drive in. Got the Green Chile Burger. Very good. (I know, appalling)
Still, at some point picked up some real chiles, roasted them on the grill, peeled, then spread the chile on toast. Delicious.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dunno about in MA, but you can get frozen green chiles that are really quite good as far east as IL. Bueno brand, comes in mild and hot. Best if you can roast, peel and freeze your own, but these are a good back up. Failing that, canned hatch green chiles will do if you're making something that gets cooked a lot like stew.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Should I file that under alert or warning? :ogbiggrin:
An alert. If it was a warning you have been instructed on where to go and what to do!

Bonus pix. Lift 7a is my favoritis lift, it’s the only old fashion lift.

943A883F-AED4-4339-A1C9-ACEFDED8DBF1.jpeg

I trimmed by beard for you guys today.

17B9EBE5-3E30-4927-B165-38E5A8D574D5.jpeg

Anyone ski this run? Ministry Of Bad Ideas (MOBID) I bet has.

D5D34074-6C5F-4184-AB68-9B9D2E340752.jpeg

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I can often, but not always, find green Poblano chiles where I shop (Stop & Shop and Whole Foods Brookline and Brighton - my markets are pretty urban serving numerous ethnic populations so the produce selection is pretty broad.) Pretty sure it's the right kind for Chiles Rellenos and I think that is the "right" kind for roasting and peeling for the other dishes, but what do I know. Not always expensive, but supply is unpredictable. I buy 'em when I see 'em.
Poblanos work in a pinch, it is one of the "mother" chiles that New Mexican varietals were selectively bred from. Also, if you ever see "Anaheim" peppers, those are actually a New Mexican chile variety that was taken out of NM in the 1800s by a farmer that moved from NM to California. Not quite as good, but much more widely grown and distributed, and probably as good as you will get far from the region.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
An alert. If it was a warning you have been instructed on where to go and what to do!

Bonus pix. Lift 7a is my favoritis lift, it’s the only old fashion lift.

View attachment 197587

I trimmed by beard for you guys today.

View attachment 197588

Anyone ski this run? Ministry Of Bad Ideas (MOBID) I bet has.

View attachment 197589
The what chutes!

According to my spreadsheet, I have done What 3, 4, and 5, and What Trees (all marked runs), but I've never actually done What 1 or 2.

None of them are "easy", but I think 2 looks the most intimidating. They are all pretty much one man chutes.

Edit: Also, before the new owner put in the Kachina lift and the Al's Express lift, I think that lift 7a is actually the newest lift at Taos. It went in sometime in the early 90s IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are hanging out in Whistlestop, bout to start turn’en n burn’en!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January