• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Wind hold right now. Pretty crazy gusts...

Let's hope the wind slows down while you and your husband enjoy the hill. Ski with you two and whoever wants to join tomorrow. 9:00 at base.

@FlyingAce you are an expert carver. We have compared our ski tracks together and on several days you and I are between 40 and 50 mph carving. It is awesome to see you adding tools to your toolbox by conquering fear and apprehension and going into the trees and steeps...supersteeps.... trusting @KingGrump.

Now you are skiing with your husband who already enjoys steeps, trees and bumps..... He will be blown away and proud of you for what you did the last 3 days.

@Tex @Neurodrive @KingGrump and the Grump family... And I'm sorry if I forgot anyone... All witnessed you ski expert double black steep chutes at Taos. You were worried about slowing us down...

YOU SPED US UP. We learned as you learned.

D74AE93C-763A-409F-BB07-D326E9ACBC9C.jpeg
IMG20230324135142.jpg
6F9E6CA1-1523-479B-A9DF-B96CE0C4C43E.jpeg

Well done @FlyingAce.

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Never seen the line this long.
View attachment 198132
Enjoyed every minute skiing with you @Tex . I got a little air off that sweet lip into the flat landing where the group paused on Werner's main. My 6" jump was poorly calculated and my landing was too close to the group. The group paused and watched you.

Everybody think Wayne Wong and Scott Schmidt..

@Tex came down the steep as we all watched and he did a stylish kicker almost 24"into the air and stopped without hitting us. LOL.

So bummed I did not have my video running.
IMG20230318110016.jpg

Eating ice cream cracking up about @Tex jump.

Last edited:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another great day skiing. Every day this week was awesome, was nice closing out my season skiing with @Pasha. Skiing What 3 here (see legendary sign in back)….

6A541185-409D-41E3-9D4F-DF17D0A41FE2.jpeg

Bonus info about What 3 run: I saw the king fall on this run, he was quick to get back up he probably thinks I didn’t see him but I did.

Bonus pic below, “What 2” sign below. We did not ski that run we headed to What 3.

6C9292EA-1E84-4FFF-B68C-1C90B3B42427.jpeg

Last edited:

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
So 11:00 AM, Whistle Stop and FIS SL?
The reality was 10:30, locker room, 100mm…

The wind hold almost ruined the day but all is well that ends well. Finally got to meet up and ski with @FlyingAce and her DH. We did the first run together to Tell Glades on a 4-6” of fresh but weirdest snow I ever encountered. @Snowfan described it perfectly as a pool table cloth. Smooth but grabbing in spots.

After it got all chopped up, the day skied like smooth and firm mashed potatoes.

Had great time skiing the day with the Grumps and @Tex - another finally got to meet and ski together situation.

Come to think of it, the only one who didn’t fall today was Mrs Grump

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I wish I was there - conditions look amazing! I don't think I have seen Al's so smooth, filled in with snow.

I fell in What 3 too lol. Or should I say in WTF 3. :) I am way less experienced and not as smooth of a skier as @KingGrump (not even close) though so it's not that surprising I fell in it.

I miss Taos, those enjoying the powder there take a run for me and keep posting the pictures so I can relieve my memories skiing R&R and other fun steeps there in good snow. :snow:

Sponsor