• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

James

Out There
Instructor
Tell us more about what Franz and Franz were doing there. Did you take a run with them? Klammer show you his wedeling?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Tell us more about what Franz and Franz were doing there. Did you take a run with them? Klammer show you his wedeling?

Stoked for the racing I was headed in that direction for inspection, seeding start list runs and kids race.

I met a guy on the chair and he wanted to see the racing so we headed for the venue on the back side of Taos at chair four around 10am.

There's a super fun route there taking Maxie's and then Totemoff for wide open high speed carving. @FlyingAce and I go here first thing every morning we ski together. This is this is a pic of the surface after so many racers are carving headed to the start.
IMG20230330100414.jpg

So fun to cruise fast on a fresh groomer in sunshine to watch a race...we stopped at the net.
IMG20230330101426_01.jpg
This is this is where the fun starts. There's about 20 of us observing the kids race then the women's and men's timed runs. My new acquaintance Rick is seeing it for the first time and embracing all of it.

I overhear conversations of people mentioning the Mahre brothers and Ted Ligety who are here and then the guy next to me tapped me on the shoulder and says "check this out there's a World Champ right here".

I'm kind of watching for Graham Franklin, a kid skier, Resi Stiegler https://www.instagram.com/resistiegler/ and Erin Mielzynski https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Mielzynski and I already looked down and saw Head skis with the top sheet Porsche and a sticker that says Franz Weber. His helmet is also stickered Porsche.

We watch the runs.
IMG20230330102224.jpg

I remembered the name Franz Weber but was not sure if it was World Cup or high speed skiing. When he says there's a world champ next to you I ask who and he says Franz Klammer.

2 World Champs next to me.

We spoke for almost a half hour about Masters ski racing, technique and form then Tamara McKinney showed up. All were kind, friendly, humble, and mellow It was a wonderful conversation.

I raced with Tamara and her brother Steve, RIP, at Squaw and Sugar Bowl when I was a kid. Franz Weber is a hoot...super kind and funny.
IMG20230330102551.jpg

Franz Klammer was mostly analyzing the racing and his comments were awesome. He and Franz Weber were speaking German part of the time. IMG20230330101630.jpg

I did not get to ski with any of them but that sure would have been fun on these sunny frozen groomers.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stoked for the racing I was headed in that direction for inspection, seeding start list runs and kids race.

I met a guy on the chair and he wanted to see the racing so we headed for the venue on the back side of Taos at chair four around 10am.

There's a super fun route there taking Maxie's and then Totemoff for wide open high speed carving. @FlyingAce and I go here first thing every morning we ski together. This is this is a pic of the surface after so many racers are carving headed to the start.
View attachment 198956

So fun to cruise fast on a fresh groomer in sunshine to watch a race...we stopped at the net.
View attachment 198950
This is this is where the fun starts. There's about 20 of us observing the kids race then the women's and men's timed runs. My new acquaintance Rick is seeing it for the first time and embracing all of it.

I overhear conversations of people mentioning the Mahre brothers and Ted Ligety who are here and then the guy next to me tapped me on the shoulder and says "check this out there's a World Champ right here".

I'm kind of watching for Graham Franklin, a kid skier, Resi Stiegler https://www.instagram.com/resistiegler/ and Erin Mielzynski https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Mielzynski and I already looked down and saw Head skis with the top sheet Porsche and a sticker that says Franz Weber. His helmet is also stickered Porsche.

We watch the runs.
View attachment 198959

I remembered the name Franz Weber but was not sure if it was World Cup or high speed skiing. When he says there's a world champ next to you I ask who and he says Franz Klammer.

2 World Champs next to me.

We spoke for almost a half hour about Masters ski racing, technique and form then Tamara McKinney showed up. All were kind, friendly, humble, and mellow It was a wonderful conversation.

I raced with Tamara and her brother Steve, RIP, at Squaw and Sugar Bowl when I was a kid. Franz Weber is a hoot...super kind and funny.
View attachment 198960

Franz Klammer was mostly analyzing the racing and his comments were awesome. He and Franz Weber were speaking German part of the time. View attachment 198961

I did not get to ski with any of them but that sure would have been fun on these sunny frozen groomers.
I was just about where you were watching the race, but I didn’t get there until 11:30, then noon. I watched until 1pm when I got too cold...brrrr

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So it’s not April Fools thing?

on the screenshot below, is it closer to green, blue, or red highlights?

Come in on Chicken Al's and go across Al's. You will see a hand painted sign there. There used to be a entrance there to NA, we called Chicken NA. Using that entrance eliminates the required step up to NA from the old chair #1. Patrol had since closed that entrance since the installation of the new chair #1.

Dadou is the area to the skier left of NA. Between Al's & NA. Used to be a rope on the skier's left of NA to keep skiers out. Skied many years back with a former SSD and patrol. Was really sketchy. The area has been gladed past couple years after the big blow down and for fire mitigation purposes.

Dadou was officially open at around 10 AM yesterday. There are good lines in there. The snow in there was punky yesterday. No skier compaction ... yet. Watch out for the slash pile. Should be much better once they clear out the slash piles over the summer.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter