• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Whatever you do, don’t post pics of being on the trails. That would be too much to handle.
I know. This has been a shortcoming of mine and lots of others. I will tell you that during my lesson time I'm either breathing so hard (at the bottom) or am so anxious about the upcoming elevator shaft plummet (at the top) that there is no effing way I'm going to manage getting the phone out.

But afternoon time is a different thing and your point is well taken ...

... EXCEPT for the minor fact that you were supposed to have been here in person and are now ragging on us about our photography.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
More Taos trivia:

Couldn't find a clip anywhere - guess I need to watch this movie now.

James

Out There
Instructor
This has been a shortcoming of mine and lots of others.
It has reached epic proportions! Back when people didn’t have phone cameras.

EXCEPT for the minor fact that you were supposed to have been here in person and are now ragging on us about our photography.
Lets not let facts get in the way of a good green chile sauce. I was supposed to be there last week.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guess I need to go buy a swim suit. Do they have a high dive? I like high dives.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of green chili...

I think I do this every year, but for you out-of-towners who may not have experienced the goodness, a couple of recommendations:

Green Chili Cheeseburger (what more can be said?)

"New Mexican style" enchiladas. Typically, blue corn tortillas are used and they are stacked instead of rolled. Choice of meat, topped with a fried egg and covered with choice of chili (I recommend the green, which tends to be pretty spicy).
Orlando's version
e-2782.jpg

Then, just to say you tried it, Frito Pie. A opened bag of Fritos with a scoop of chili, topped with cheese and onions. Admittedly gross, but tasty!
e-4493.jpg

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of green chili...

I think I do this every year, but for you out-of-towners who may not have experienced the goodness, a couple of recommendations:

Green Chili Cheeseburger (what more can be said?)

"New Mexican style" enchiladas. Typically, blue corn tortillas are used and they are stacked instead of rolled. Choice of meat, topped with a fried egg and covered with choice of chili (I recommend the green, which tends to be pretty spicy).
Orlando's version
View attachment 191821
The enchiladas look delicious, that's right up my alley! I love putting fried eggs and spicy stuff on literally everything lol. Where do you get that specifically? I'll have to check it out when I'm there in a few weeks.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pasha and I played hooky from the gathering to ski Ski Santa Fe. Seven inches of new snow was too much to resist.

Here he is at the top of Cornice. Snow was really nice. Not tracked out.
20230208_110900.jpg

We finally met after two years of trying. (@FlyingAce where are you?) Very nice fellow and lovely, playful skier.

Long story interminable, I am bailing. After learning that @Tony S pooped out, that my sweetie can't join, that I am missing a meeting I was going to try to zoom..ugh, and that conditions up there are not nice, I decided prudence was the better part of Valor for this old lady.

However if anyone is sticking around the following week when snow is rumored to fall, we may come up to Taos for a day or two.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The enchiladas look delicious, that's right up my alley! I love putting fried eggs and spicy stuff on literally everything lol. Where do you get that specifically? I'll have to check it out when I'm there in a few weeks.
Virtually anywhere they serve food in NM that isn't fussy or some specified other ethnicity.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Alfred and Tony s are visible. Scott behind me.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Orlando's in Taos. But as @Jerez mentioned, they can be found at most any Mexican or regional restaurant.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
We finally met after two years of trying. (@FlyingAce where are you?) Very nice fellow and lovely, playful skier.
I am here Sherry! I did a private ski week last week that was so intense I need to take some time off to recover. I am planning to be in Taos next week. Been trying to get to SSF one of these days! What are your plans?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice. Planning to ski SF tomorrowwmaybe 1/2 day. Otherwise waiting to see what this next little storm next week brings where.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Great day on the hill today. Blue skies and warm temps. Morning hikes up to Highline and Juarez... lunch at the Bavarian...and afternoon laps up Kachina and the K:s.

We're having après in Hondo's. C'mon down for a few!

Attachments

• PXL_20230208_164628911.jpg
    PXL_20230208_164628911.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230208_203405083.jpg
    PXL_20230208_203405083.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20230208_221853630.jpg
    PXL_20230208_221853630.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 35