• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, so the new old boots are out of the closet? What’s happened to the old old boots?
you were there! remember, the clip holding the toe strap broke at Loveland.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was an honor to serve as special attaché to the Ministry of Bad Ideas. Orientation included spicy food and most of a beer at lunch, two things I generally avoid while skiing. The middle photo shows me and @mdf, Prime Minister, on some alternate line that ultimately required side stepping up, then over a few rocks, and into the bottom of a chute that I side slipped down with encouragement from @Tony S . A fine finale for the end of my Taos ski week. I hope to join in the fun at the Maine mini gathering in March.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
East coasters who are there, how would you describe the snow conditions? Flying out in a few weeks, and trying to decide on which skis to bring. I know things might change by then, but how are things currently? The two contenders are my Sheeva 9 164 length (usual daily driver in the East and take West ski for the past handful of seasons) and the Blaze 86 159 length (new to me this season, really liking them in bumps in the East so far which is making me think they could also be a great choice for Taos).

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
East coasters, how would you describe the snow conditions? Flying out in a few weeks, and trying to decide on which skis to bring. I know things might change by then, but how are things currently?

I think they're pretty darn nice, including the bumps. One of my Colorado friends keeps calling things "icy" and I keep laughing to myself or trying to correct her.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What? , Aren't the Martini tree cocktails supposed to be hiddened in the woods at TSV not at a bar !

That was old school … but then the teens figured it out. Pre-Covid, you skied up to a bartender, in the trees, on the last day of class and everyone took a shot from the same porron - birding it. I don’t know what they do now!

James

Out There
Instructor
In 2000, the instructor found the carafe in the woods. Bartender? Sheesh, Taos has gotten soft.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In 2000, the instructor found the carafe in the woods. Bartender? Sheesh, Taos has gotten soft.
Yes. Everyone in my ski class was mature … so we were not carded, but I understand they do check ID. Also, much to my instructor’s chagrin, they are no longer allowed to partake.

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think they're pretty darn nice, including the bumps. One of my Colorado friends keeps calling things "icy" and I keep laughing to myself or trying to correct her.
Haha that's exactly why I was curious about the East coasters' perspective! Thanks!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
East coasters who are there, how would you describe the snow conditions? Flying out in a few weeks, and trying to decide on which skis to bring. I know things might change by then, but how are things currently? The two contenders are my Sheeva 9 164 length (usual daily driver in the East and take West ski for the past handful of seasons) and the Blaze 86 159 length (new to me this season, really liking them in bumps in the East so far which is making me think they could also be a great choice for Taos).
Groomers are perfect. Off piste is highly variable, but nowhere is it soft and deep. (But we have hope for a minor refresher tonight!)

If conditions were to stay like this, the Blaze is definitely the better choice. Otherwise the Sheeva is going to cover more bases if the weather pattern improves.

I'll bet you knew all that, though.

Have you been to Taos? Lots of STEEP bumps. A ski that you find easy in bumps is generally a good thing.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
how are things currently? The two contenders are my Sheeva 9 164 length (usual daily driver in the East and take West ski for the past handful of seasons) and the Blaze 86 159 length (new to me this season, really liking them in bumps in the East so far which is making me think they could also be a great choice for Taos).

The current condition is nice and firm.
The Blaze will probably be fine. A narrower ski with better suspension would probably work better.
FWIW, Both I and my son, @A Grump , were on FIS SL today. Had a blast with the SkiTalk crew.

Last edited:

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Groomers are perfect. Off piste is highly variable, but nowhere is it soft and deep. (But we have hope for a minor refresher tonight!)

If conditions were to stay like this, the Blaze is definitely the better choice. Otherwise the Sheeva is going to cover more bases if the weather pattern improves.

I'll bet you knew all that, though.

Have you been to Taos? Lots of STEEP bumps. A ski that you find easy in bumps is generally a good thing.

This will be my first time at Taos, so not 100% sure what to expect other than the idea of lots of steeps and bumps that everyone mentions.

Will be doing the women’s ski week.. and have been leaning towards the Blaze just because they have felt so good in bumps.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Finally got to ski with a lot of skitalkers today. So many I cannot remember all their names. Realized today lots of the kids in my ski week group are related to Grump, our group is really fun, we got old people and kids, and I been thinking what great kids these are, now I know why.

And Tony S can turn'm good, that's all I got.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, My son, @A Grump , were on FIS SL today. Had a blast with the SkiTalk crew.

This will be my first time at Taos, so not 100% sure what to expect

I just need to be clear that his "son, A Grump" could ski these runs on a couple of old barrel staves. Also, he's probably about double your size, so how a ski responds for him might not figure.

You'll just have to keep an eye on the forecast and on any new snow that has fallen, and make your decision at the last minute. All of us travelers from the east coast are in the same boat.

Sponsor

Staff online