• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Another great day at Taos. The Graupel has turned back into snowflakes and it keeps on snowing. This winter has very long legs even this far south.

Skied the morning with @FlyingAce and her husband and friend Diana ripping 49mph totemoff on beautiful groomer while bitter cold. @KingGrump and I joined a group after lunch and had a blast skiing ElFunco, Caster, Dollar slot and more.
IMG20230326094943.jpg
IMG20230326141958.jpg

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another great day at Taos. The Graupel has turned back into snowflakes and it keeps on snowing. This winter has very long legs even this far south.

Skied the morning with @FlyingAce and her husband and friend Diana ripping 49mph totemoff on beautiful groomer while bitter cold. @KingGrump and I joined a group after lunch and had a blast skiing ElFunco, Caster, Dollar slot and more.
View attachment 198295
View attachment 198294
Our group also did Spencer’s/Inferno/Rhoda’s/Al’s. What a fun day!
My app didn’t exactly show I was ripping it on the groomers. Must be having technical difficulties :rolleyes:

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
@Pasha... The falling Snow is still dumping right now at Taos Ski Valley and it is not powder it is grapple. Tiny bb's. They pack themselves in the troughs of mogul's and leave everything sort of billiard table smooth. It skis like packed powder and I do not recommend wide skis on it.

80-95 max.

View attachment 198034

Others that are skiing here right now will chime in for added clarity. Have a blast with @KingGrump he is super fun to ski with and listen to his wisdom from massive experience.

85-95 is the sweet spot for Taos.

I've been on 92s every day this season except for one, and have occasionally wished for something narrower rather than wider. The fatter skis tend to stay in the garage.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
The 120s were awesome during last week storm

Yes. On the right surface they are wonderful. I rode my 116 rockers at Crested Butte for 2 days and had a great time. The snow at Taos is a bit different...maybe the last several bands were warmer?..... and my 85s worked much better than the powder planks. Full rockers are not fun on firm snow and are even a challenge in the lift line in my experience.
1679924558576.png
1679924626752.png

Sponsor