• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2023 Tyrolia Bindings

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This stack height, when is higher better? I'm new to this parameter.
On narrower skis, to the point where FIS (The governing body of racing) put a maximum limit on binding and bottom of the foot height.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
On narrower skis, to the point where FIS (The governing body of racing) put a maximum limit on binding and bottom of the foot height.
Would the higher stack height on a thinner waist sometimes create balance and stability challenges?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

Is it possible to buy a Head FIS race ski and fit them with Protector bindings?

For us mere mortals who want to try race skis but want the knee protection of the Protectors.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it possible to buy a Head FIS race ski and fit them with Protector bindings?

For us mere mortals who want to try race skis but want the knee protection of the Protectors.
No, it is a different interface.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
No, it is a different interface.
Thanks Phil. I checked the whole Head race ski lineup and the different interface would be the Freeflex bindings?

Under the lineup, they have 2 skis that don't use Freeflex bindings but PR11/PRD12:
https://www.head.com/en/worldcup-rebels-e-slr-313362-set.html (66mm waist)
https://www.head.com/en/worldcup-rebels-e-xsr-313412-set.html (72mm waist)

I guess those 2 are just cheaters? Would the Protectors slide in them? And if they did, would there be a problem using the 85mm break of the Protectors on 66mm or 72mm waist skis?

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Phil. I checked the whole Head race ski lineup and the different interface would be the Freeflex bindings?

Under the lineup, they have 2 skis that don't use Freeflex bindings but PR11/PRD12:
https://www.head.com/en/worldcup-rebels-e-slr-313362-set.html (66mm waist)
https://www.head.com/en/worldcup-rebels-e-xsr-313412-set.html (72mm waist)

I guess those 2 are just cheaters? Would the Protectors slide in them? And if they did, would there be a problem using the 85mm break of the Protectors on 66mm or 72mm waist skis?
Per Head, the Protectors will not work on the race plates, they have a different hole pattern.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Per Head, the Protectors will not work on the race plates, they have a different hole pattern.
I am bringing the Tyrolia Protector 11 GW bindings to a local ski shop for mounting. They are not sure they have the jig for it and I'm trying to help them out with some Internet lookups. What jig would they need? They mentioned they had the TW92 jig they use, but weren't sure if that would work. I have to bring it in for them to take a look, but figure I could save myself 45-50 minutes of driving both ways by popping this question to see if you guys knew.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

~GA

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
All good...skis came with power rails pre-installed so ski shop just popped the bindings on.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

For a cheater SL ski, is there an advantage to using a low stand height 27mm SLR binding vs a 32mm stand height PR binding?

Original+ has an option to choose either an SLR plate or PR plate.

Thought of going with SLR plate + binding as it's a bit lighter than a PR binding. And my height and weight and skill level and BSL (5'8", 85kg, intermediate, 305mm) are well within the top range of the DIN setting for Tyrolia SLR.

1678020699799.png

Last edited:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

fix4all

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does the Attack 14 MN (demo) also include the New FR Pro3 Toe or is it only the non-demo version?

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Philpug I can get a good deal on some Wingman 86CTis with the Elan EMX 12.0 GW Fusion X bindings. I’d like to swap them out for Protectors, but not sure if they are based on the Power Rail or the SLR System. Elan has their own branded version, called the ”Protector Fusion X” but doesn’t seem to sell separately. So, not sure which Protector model can slide right on. TIA!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug I can get a good deal on some Wingman 86CTis with the Elan EMX 12.0 GW Fusion X bindings. I’d like to swap them out for Protectors, but not sure if they are based on the Power Rail or the SLR System. Elan has their own branded version, called the ”Protector Fusion X” but doesn’t seem to sell separately. So, not sure which Protector model can slide right on. TIA!
Slide right on.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Thanks, @Philpug. Just to be clear which one will be compatible, the Protector PR or Protector SLR?
Will you be buying 85mm brake version? Let us know how it goes, if the brakes don't catch the edge when they release.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January