• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Völkl Secret 96

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia: Völkl has had women’s skis with a strong following, but none more than the Aura, which came on the scene in 2007 with a 94mm waist. Most of us evolve as we age -- as did the Aura, who got a little fatter and changed her shape through the years (something I can relate to ...). I thought some of the changes were solid improvements and others were head scratchers. When the Aura made her final appearance in 2018, she was at her widest (100 mm underfoot) and had reverse camber.

The Aura was retired in 2019 and the Secret 92 was introduced, offering a more playful feel to the lineup. The Secret had a bigger sweet spot and made the mountain more accessible for more women. After being on the market for two years, she got a makeover, and a very nice one at that.

Enter the Secret 96: with Tailored Titanal Frame, Tailored Carbon Tip, and 3D Radius sidecut, now in its second season, this is a ski that promises a consistent experience for every skier. My first impression was, Wow this is light; it almost feels like like a carbon ski. After the first run, my second impression was, But it doesn’t ski like a carbon ski. Light skis often have a vague tip initiation and some vibration, but not this one. The Secret 96 engages well and holds an edge like you expect from Völkl. It’s a ski that will satisfy the Völkl enthusiast as well as tease the woman who has longed for her beloved Aura, but with a fresh look and feel that bring her into the new decade.

I would really like to get on the 170 to see the difference in the construction between the 163 and 170. I would probably be happy with either size in my quiver.
  • Insider tip: This is a ski that could make you happy in more than one length.
Elemmac: The Secret 96 holds true to that traditional Völkl feel: it stays firm and grounded when arcing a turn, and I didn’t have to second guess what it would do when I came upon piles of snow (ie, it was going to go right through them). Turn initiation on this ski is precise and responsive. When skiing this size, I have to be on my game; there isn’t much room for laziness and error. I could see myself owning the 170, or the 163 for increased maneuverability.

Insider tip: This is a ski you can comfortably try in multiple sizes.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Someone looking for an all-mountain ski that has a playful side anda serious side.
Who is it not for?
The timid skiers. Base Lodge Betties.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment