• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Volkl Kendo 88

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks- these are great insights. That photo alone @Andy Mink has me thinking 177 with salomon will work just fine. I am very similar skier profile, except on the east coast these days. Aspirationally I would frequently be in the bumps and pow with these but the NE reality is that I will be 80% of time on manmade or snow that has been scraped off of manmade base or some *firm* bumps- and that's still great skiin'- just not great for a full throttle long-ish, gs-ey board (anymore : )). And I have other skis for the super-duper firm. Will start flat on a 177 and if feeling the need can plate up later- appreciate it!
One thing is if you're going arc to arc on the Kendo it's not quick, snappy event. Give the ski some time to come around and lock in. The bit of rise in the tip that makes it really good in cut up snow doesn't allow it to have a full-length instant turn in. It's by no means slow but don't expect zip zip in a carve. You can push it around easily though.

we-east coast skier

Booting up
Skier
Thank you, this continues to be helpful. Only other thought is 177 Brahma. In the olden days I was much more of a “dictate the line on the hill” regardless of what is there vs a go with the flow of the hill type of skier. The preference was for too much vs too little ski. Def much mellower with age and skiing with family, fitness level, etc. I didn’t see a cage match for these two. A typical scenario for me for these skis is tooling along with the kids in the morning all over the place- bumps, pucker brush, “jumps” and getting an hour to let the dogs out in the afternoon on some skiied out firm stuff (not getting back to the locker for other skis in this scenario)- in your opinion on balance - is pushing the brahmas to come around in the morning going to be worse than wishing for more ski for that golden hour on the kendos? Or do you think the kendos can get pretty close to the others in this category - like the Brahma- for that. I would love to get out in both to test but going to just pick one. A great problem to have - sort of like trying to decide between two great beers : ). And again, really appreciate the insights.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Don't overlook the Salomon Stance 90--for me it was the surprise of last season; far better than the Kendo or just about any other ski in that 88-90 width range....

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
One thing is if you're going arc to arc on the Kendo it's not quick, snappy event. Give the ski some time to come around and lock in. The bit of rise in the tip that makes it really good in cut up snow doesn't allow it to have a full-length instant turn in. It's by no means slow but don't expect zip zip in a carve. You can push it around easily though.
Not sure I agree 100% with this assessment. If you stay centered in the middle, shorter radius portion of the ski, you can snap off some quick edge to edge turns. If you ski the full length, then I totally agree with Andy’s statement.

As an aside, I bought my 2023 Kendos near the end of last season and loved the 3 days I spent on them before the season ended—terrific ski. Eager to get them out again after a few more storms.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Late to this thread and first time poster, humbly trying to follow the etiquette here- your salomon 16 preference and tuning rotation philosophy make me think I am in the right place : ). If you can humor me on length/set-up opinion based on your experience articulated with the kendo here, I would be grateful- I was contemplating the kendo in a 177 with a salomon mounted direct on the ski for a nice medium radius capable of great grip on the new england "packed powder" on the other end of the valley from you when I am not up for the effort of a 165 sls or 181 deacon 76 master. I was hopeful the 177 would have the integrity for a middle aged 220 lbs but your comments on the softness of the 177 made me pause. So a too far down the rabbit hole thought I had was plating the 177 to keep the radius down vs upsizing to the 184 with a direct mount. Any thoughts very much appreciated.
Hi & welcome! So glad to have you.

Since writing in the spring, a couple items happened that made me move away from a multiple Kendo quiver- I’m headed to the EU for a bit, I did some work with Renoun & wanted a set from them :

Plus, I really started grooving on Black Crows after a peer suggested em for myself……. I also have skied the Kendo more this summer & other skis- while it’s softer that a racer, it’s stiffer than many on the market.

I ended up w a E88 custom from Renoun in 184cm (really a 181) & from Black Crows a 177 Divus, 184 Atris & 188 Corvus.

I went 177 Divus w STH16 as I wanted a lil softer ski than the Kendo in a shorter than 184 length for the start of the season & limited terrain. I have many industry buds skiing the Kendo at your size & they are nearly all on the 177, 184 is a lot of ski without a ton of real estate.

Just some of my updated thoughts; all my skis have the same binding; all are purchased as I no longer accept free gear.

Hope this helps!!!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Since writing in the spring, a couple items happened that made me move away from a multiple Kendo quiver- I’m headed to the EU for a bit, I did some work with Renoun & wanted a set from them :
Nice little video. Not too big a bite; just enough to get me off my butt.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0357.jpeg
Long term update: The new Kendo does not fail to impress, well it has to, it has really big tracks to fill. In relaunching our YouTube channel this summer we have been watching the analytics and the Kendo 88 videos have been some of the most watched, both in the individual revew but in also the Cage Match with it's sibling, the Deacon 84. And after another day on the Kendo, I can understand why.

Volkl adding their 3D sidecut to the Kendo 88 really brightened the ski up. Dropping the turn radius from 17 to 16 meters underfoot in the reference 177 cm length was the shot in the arm the Kendo needed.

We haven't had any new snow in Tahoe for a while so the snow is getting old but Mt. Rose is doing their best to keep it good and being on a ski that is strong like the Kendo it didn't matter. the Kendo just says "I got this" and took over making for a good day. It is easy to see why the Kendo 88 is the ski in this class that all others are compared against.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At one time being a Volkl guy…now with a Moment quiver of 2……should I just get a pair of 22-23 Kendo’s for the hell of it and turn it into my rock ski?

MDV shop price is too low to pass up….?

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
At one time being a Volkl guy…now with a Moment quiver of 2……should I just get a pair of 22-23 Kendo’s for the hell of it and turn it into my rock ski?

MDV shop price is too low to pass up….?
Buy it the deal is way too good
In fact buy two
One for destruction
One for the moment replacement

we-east coast skier

Booting up
Skier
Hi & welcome! So glad to have you.

Plus, I really started grooving on Black Crows after a peer suggested em for myself……. I also have skied the Kendo more this summer & other skis- while it’s softer that a racer, it’s stiffer than many on the market.

I ended up w a E88 custom from Renoun in 184cm (really a 181) & from Black Crows a 177 Divus, 184 Atris & 188 Corvus.

I went 177 Divus w STH16 as I wanted a lil softer ski than the Kendo in a shorter than 184 length for the start of the season & limited terrain. I have many industry buds skiing the Kendo at your size & they are nearly all on the 177, 184 is a lot of ski without a ton of real estate.

Just some of my updated thoughts; all my skis have the same binding; all are purchased as I no longer accept free gear.

Hope this helps!!!
Thank you! The insights here are great. I just had the 177s mounted up flat with the slam ons and looking forward to getting on them. So. Many. Great. Skis.

we-east coast skier

Booting up
Skier
Fwiw to anyone interested in this ski- got out today on the kendo’s straight out the box without any additional tune except a wax (snow scraped) and what a great ski. 177 is perfect east coaster for a 220 lb reasonably powerful Middle aged skier. The ski can dial up whatever controlled turn shape is needed while also easily handling those sort of let ‘em run 40 mph blow through whatever you want turns without breaking a sweat. Great, great ski. Would not hesitate for a second to recommend this ski in this category.

Balsh

Booting up
Skier
Hello,
Thank you for the interesting review! How the KENDO 88 compares to the Deacon V-WRECKS or to the Atomic Rester Q9.8 on groomers?

Skiing >90% of the time on groomers during the full season as being local, looking to move from easy going race ski to more demanding groomers-oriented all mountain skis so that they can handle all type of snow we face during the full season as being more versatile, without compromising on carving performance.

Only testing each on real conditions will make me decide, I know, but having your insights would help a lot. :)

Thank you in advance!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello,
Thank you for the interesting review! How the KENDO 88 compares to the Deacon V-WRECKS or to the Atomic Rester Q9.8 on groomers?

Skiing >90% of the time on groomers during the full season as being local, looking to move from easy going race ski to more demanding groomers-oriented all mountain skis so that they can handle all type of snow we face during the full season as being more versatile, without compromising on carving performance.

Only testing each on real conditions will make me decide, I know, but having your insights would help a lot. :)

Thank you in advance!
I haven't been on the V-Werks but the Q9.8 is much more groomer oriented than the Kendo. Super fun and turny. Where the Kendo is a narrow wide ski the Q9.8 is a wider narrow ski with the Redster race heritage inside. The Kendo is stronger than the 9.8 off piste.

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
88 seems to be the Magic number for not too wide to hurt knees or be slow

I wish I had seen this sooner, but after today I 100% agree at least for me.

Last season (1st season of skiing) and 3 times so far this season I rode a 100 ski, today I rode the 23' Kendo 88 and for the first time since skiing my knees are not hurting after a day of being on the mountain. :D

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having a good time on Kendos here in NEPA during this crap winter…have been skiing them on 100% man made gun powder.

These have a real smoothness to them. Lots of different turn shapes/really holds a nice long edge but can also have a nice pop into the next short turn…Very easy to ski…I am glad I got them/ I will probably ski them more than intended.

Despite my Moment 2 ski quiver…..I guess I am still a “Volkl guy”.

Sponsor