• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Volkl Kendo 88

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
99BCE34B-AADF-4753-83B0-B563C0A0D504.jpeg

Racking the skis for the season….hmmmm.

Sizing thought:

185 Revolts / 183 GS / 184 Kendos

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m in agreement with Brian. I like the longer radius mild taper and rocker like the Kendo
over Carve skis for groomers. They still carve really well, but also do other things. I do think Volkl is the leader here as the lower soft camber design really lets the ski bend underfoot which allows for shorter radius carved turns when desired.

I’d be all over a ski like this with an 80mm waist and GS race build!

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
. I find the 184 is perfect for ripping groomers (& better than a GS or frontside ski) as the taper in the shovel let’s you ride over all the inconsistencies on ‘groomed’ slopes without getting twitchy at speed. Frontside & GS skis are great when it’s a closed hill or first thing in the morning, but we usually accumulate lips, ice patches, chicken heads, piles, clumps, bumps….. by mid morning in the East & I want to blast thru that stuff all day at speed.
For sure all those little snow mini-piles that accumulate as a groomer gets skied are treacherous on a GS ski, as this just locks hard into the snow. Going from mush to ice patch can be a big jolt. I don’t know the Kendo, but something looser like this will be safer and perform better in such conditions.

If I’m freeskiing GS skis, there often comes a point where I look at the snow and think, it’s quitting time (at least for that ski).

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I’d be all over a ski like this with an 80mm waist and GS race build!
YES!!!

For sure all those little snow mini-piles that accumulate as a groomer gets skied are treacherous on a GS ski, as this just locks hard into the snow. Going from mush to ice patch can be a big jolt. I don’t know the Kendo, but something looser like this will be safer and perform better in such conditions.

If I’m freeskiing GS skis, there often comes a point where I look at the snow and think, it’s quitting time (at least for that ski).
^exactly - however, now that my kids are older, I may ski ALL DAY now & dont want a 45' ski!!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
See that Ski Essentials put out a short video review review along with weighing them.

I noticed all the 23 versions weighed in the Spring were much heavier(200gr plus) than the 22 version or the 23 specs(hair lighter than 22).
I guess it wasn’t an intentional weight gai as they seem to be back down to their new spec’d weight based on that video.

Might be a few disappointed people who don’t know why they don’t like their new 23 Kendo 88 that tried out the heavier versions last Spring.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
See that Ski Essentials put out a short video review review along with weighing them.

I noticed all the 23 versions weighed in the Spring were much heavier(200gr plus) than the 22 version or the 23 specs(hair lighter than 22).
I guess it wasn’t an intentional weight gai as they seem to be back down to their new spec’d weight based on that video.

Might be a few disappointed people who don’t know why they don’t like their new 23 Kendo 88 that tried out the heavier versions last Spring.

Interesting. I've heard of other cases where weight changed between early spring demos and fall production runs. I think Blister reviewed a really heavy MB99, when the real model came in much lighter. I wonder how often manufacturers make unadvertised construction changes, for whatever reason.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting. I've heard of other cases where weight changed between early spring demos and fall production runs. I think Blister reviewed a really heavy MB99, when the real model came in much lighter. I wonder how often manufacturers make unadvertised construction changes, for whatever reason.
Always thought that first MB 99Ti pair was hand picked due to their weight with the fact that Blister would love that.

Knew the current kendo 88 was in the 1950gr range(177cm) so when I saw 2150gr-2200gr being measured, I wondered if this was a situation like the new Enforcer 100 & 94 when they were introduced.
Since there their swing weight was reduced they “felt lighter” even though they are actually heavier.
The 23 Kendo 88 is a touch softer in front of the bindings and their new lighter tips/tails, even a “heavier set”, they would feel easier to ski. Guess people wanting to buy 23 Kendo 88 will have to go ski shopping with a kitchen scale in hand….haha

Hoping there’s some “unadvertised construction changes” in the Nordica Unleashed 98/98 W ski as it’s currently weighing LIGHTER than spec on any review I’ve seen so far. A bit more weight would make them even better.
Unleashed 108 seems to be on spec already.

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

Hey @Philpug can you verify this?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here’s the Soothski charts comparing the 177cm Kendo from 22 and Spring 23 along with the Kenja 156cm between the 2 years.
Link wouldn’t go to the exact comparison so the top line is weight in gr between 22 and 23 177cm and then the 22 and 23 Kenja 156cm.

6AA230CA-261F-4E71-AD15-699A1781050E.png

Also The SkiMonster website shows 2150gr on the 23 Kendo 88 177cm and assumed it was weighed there.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Purchased, need snow!

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Here’s the Soothski charts comparing the 177cm Kendo from 22 and Spring 23 along with the Kenja 156cm between the 2 years.
Link wouldn’t go to the exact comparison so the top line is weight in gr between 22 and 23 177cm and then the 22 and 23 Kenja 156cm.

View attachment 175835

Also The SkiMonster website shows 2150gr on the 23 Kendo 88 177cm and assumed it was weighed there.
Just received my 2023's, 16 radius, 1950 grams.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes

sdmay59

Booting up
Skier
My takeaway from this recent discussion is that the Kendo has distinct advantages on soft snow and off-piste. And that's of course why I'm interested in it. I'm still wondering, though, if I wouldn't be disappointed in it on hard snow on piste when the alternative is the Deacon 84.
I haven't skied the 2023 Kendo yet but did ski the previous version the same day I demoed Deacon 84. For typical east coast hard snow conditions, the D84 felt more precise, lively and fun to ski. From the reports so far the new Kendo may have much of the same feel,. Best advice may be to demo these two for yourself-preferably same day, same conditions.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't skied the 2023 Kendo yet but did ski the previous version the same day I demoed Deacon 84. For typical east coast hard snow conditions, the D84 felt more precise, lively and fun to ski. From the reports so far the new Kendo may have much of the same feel,. Best advice may be to demo these two for yourself-preferably same day, same conditions.
It's like comparing an Audi A4 Allroads to a Q4. Yes, there is a lot of similar DNA but there is still a difference. The 3D sidecut changes the new Kendo more than it should or you think it should and as good as it is, it still doesn't deliver the on (hard) snow feel of the Deacon. If you are looking for off piste versatility, the Kendo for sure but if you are still staying primarily on the groomers, the Deacon is the way to go.

we-east coast skier

Booting up
Skier
Couple thoughts-

The Kendo for ‘23 is a remarkable ski & id not shy away from skiing it as an intermediate. It’s smooth & will help you get better. I may step you down to the 177 - that’s just my thoughts; the ski should be able to handle you unless you are skiing stupid fast. Learning to better use the dynamic stability of the turn will help you much more than being on a longer ski that will need more attention to pilot. I have also only skied the Kendo in the Tecnica Mach1. Ended up cracking the shell on the Mach1 in a handful of days- it’s not the most hefty boot. Historically I’ve gotten a good deal of shade for testing skis in highly customizable, beefed up boots & I tend to have a consumer model on hand for demos & shows. I’ll be using a much more substantial boot next season- this should make the Kendo all the better.

Actually really want 2x 184cm & a 177cm for shorter turns. But for now- I am planning on picking up at least another 184cm & have exact same bindings (STH2 16 WTR for the ramp I like, mounted at traditional mark).

My thinking on the 184 for myself is that I picture old school Jeremy Nobis SG as the style I want to emulate. I find the 184 is perfect for ripping groomers (& better than a GS or frontside ski) as the taper in the shovel let’s you ride over all the inconsistencies on ‘groomed’ slopes without getting twitchy at speed. Frontside & GS skis are great when it’s a closed hill or first thing in the morning, but we usually accumulate lips, ice patches, chicken heads, piles, clumps, bumps….. by mid morning in the East & I want to blast thru that stuff all day at speed.

Now as to multiple pairs - I get to ski with my clients a bunch & never wanna have to say to a WC skier ‘hey I can’t do that 60 mph GoPro follow, my edges are $#*^’. To get this perspective, I’m about 2 meters off the athlete & they are diving in front of you every turn.

View attachment 167425

And ya never know when the MegaPass Overlords will send photogs out to capture you for their latest promotion.

View attachment 167426
(*Everyone owes me a beer for helping keep Ikon passes affordable by providing uncompensated media)

In a good week, I can be on hill 3-4 days “working” & I’ve always had multiple sets of SL & GS skis to ensure that I never go beyond 2 days on a ski prior to tuning. Having multiple sets makes sharpening/ waxing far easier as you don’t have to recover much. After 3 days untouched the work to recoup the skis goes way up. We’re also rather finite & there are days - I just don’t want to tune. Another thought behind this is that I tend to turn my skis over after 1 maybe 2 seasons for most sets & actually run ski saver on em. Keep ‘em tuned up & pull the ski saver & they retain re-sale value & everyone wins. Hope this helps.
Late to this thread and first time poster, humbly trying to follow the etiquette here- your salomon 16 preference and tuning rotation philosophy make me think I am in the right place : ). If you can humor me on length/set-up opinion based on your experience articulated with the kendo here, I would be grateful- I was contemplating the kendo in a 177 with a salomon mounted direct on the ski for a nice medium radius capable of great grip on the new england "packed powder" on the other end of the valley from you when I am not up for the effort of a 165 sls or 181 deacon 76 master. I was hopeful the 177 would have the integrity for a middle aged 220 lbs but your comments on the softness of the 177 made me pause. So a too far down the rabbit hole thought I had was plating the 177 to keep the radius down vs upsizing to the 184 with a direct mount. Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was hopeful the 177 would have the integrity for a middle aged 220 lbs but your comments on the softness of the 177 made me pause. So a too far down the rabbit hole thought I had was plating the 177 to keep the radius down vs upsizing to the 184 with a direct mount. Any thoughts very much appreciated.
How tall are you and what type of terrain do you plan on skiing? We have the Kendo 88 in our fleet and by no means would I say its soft, but it is a very balanced flex. @Andy Mink is about your weight and like you middle age and 5'10"-ish and he has been on the 177 cm. I know I skied the 184 and found it very GS-ish in feel even moreso the the Deacon Pro in the 181 cm.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Late to this thread and first time poster, humbly trying to follow the etiquette here- your salomon 16 preference and tuning rotation philosophy make me think I am in the right place : ). If you can humor me on length/set-up opinion based on your experience articulated with the kendo here, I would be grateful- I was contemplating the kendo in a 177 with a salomon mounted direct on the ski for a nice medium radius capable of great grip on the new england "packed powder" on the other end of the valley from you when I am not up for the effort of a 165 sls or 181 deacon 76 master. I was hopeful the 177 would have the integrity for a middle aged 220 lbs but your comments on the softness of the 177 made me pause. So a too far down the rabbit hole thought I had was plating the 177 to keep the radius down vs upsizing to the 184 with a direct mount. Any thoughts very much appreciated.
At 220+ gear, 58yo, 5'10", and an advanced skier, I find the 177 very comfortable. It has plenty of spine to hold tight on all but the hardest of snow. I wouldn't call it playful but it doesn't have to be driven to provide a great ride. If I was wanting more of a charger in this segment I'd look to the '23 Brahma. I find it to be more of a "go through" than "go around" ski. Personal preference for me is the Kendo. I'm not a speed freak so I don't need that extra oomph. *these skis have a Marker demo binding on them. A flat mount Salomon would feel a bit different but I don't think it would be in a bad way. Likely a better connection between skier, ski, and snow.
58877.jpeg

Last edited:

we-east coast skier

Booting up
Skier
Thanks- these are great insights. That photo alone @Andy Mink has me thinking 177 with salomon will work just fine. I am very similar skier profile, except on the east coast these days. Aspirationally I would frequently be in the bumps and pow with these but the NE reality is that I will be 80% of time on manmade or snow that has been scraped off of manmade base or some *firm* bumps- and that's still great skiin'- just not great for a full throttle long-ish, gs-ey board (anymore : )). And I have other skis for the super-duper firm. Will start flat on a 177 and if feeling the need can plate up later- appreciate it!

Sponsor