• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Volkl Kendo mount point testing

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I decided to mount my new 184cm Kendos with Attack 13 DEMO bindings so as to try out different mount points.

First day was hot and sunny spring conditions, shorts and tee shirts weather.

Boots: first Lange SX 130 28.5 w/ stiffest Intuition Power Wrap high volume (it's a lot of stiff liner), second Dalbello Panterra 130 27.5 with soft Intuition Power Wrap

Lange on the line first. Rather traditional feel but not radically so. I really don't love thinking about pressuring my forefoot, but skis skied well. I wanted more tail for slinging out of turns.

Lange +1: Skied better for me. A bit more tail support, a little more automatic hook up in the front. Zero lose of stability at speed, if anything a little better to my feel/style. I was worried about forward mount lost stability due to a couple of internet reviews, but not at all a problem. Tail fell longer, which I liked, and had really nice springy kick.

Dalbello on line: Similar to Lange but feels a little more need to consciously pressure tip.

Dalbello +1: skied same as Lange. Very minor reduction in stability at speed compared to Lange +1. Skis got knocked around just a little more by bigger bumps, same stability with the small high frequency stuff. Still quite a smooth stable ski.

Boot compare side jag: My old Lange boots are WAY heavier than the new Dalbellos, and stiffer. Lange shell is thicker less brittle more damp plastic, and liner in the Lange is a dense damp beast. The Langes just mob through heavier bigger chop with more sledge hammer momentum. With the Dalbellos I noticed some bigger texture that with the Langes didn't seem to even exist. The Dalbello Panterras though are very comfortable, less fatiguing, and have a nicer flex pattern, still very responsive and seem to ramp up from comfy to max press quicker. I like them a whole lot! Need different liners though - the OE Intuitions are packing out super fast, and the Panterra is a lot bigger around the heel pocket than the Lange SX. J Bars for sure on my smaller foot, and thick insoles. Zipfit might be the right call in the Panterra for me.

Ski impressions side jag: Based one spring conditions day so far. The 2023 Volkl Kendo is a very good ski. It's smooth and comfortable going fast. My immediate initial impression was that the ski slarves more easily than I expected. I thought it would be more quick on-off railing the edges, but it has a little longer transition zone. Not at all a pivoty, slow to edge ski though. It's reactive and pretty quick. It just doesn't instantly hook up and drive from the tip. Makes all turn shapes well at all speeds. Easy to get back in "control" when you are straight-lining fast. A very good, "normal" feeling, regular ski.

I'm going to put a more acute tune on the Kendos, 3 degrees edge, and definitely not detune the tips. I'd like them to bite a bit more agressively and a bit sooner.

Just fine off piste. They charged around in heavier shallow mank without having the think about them. There's definitely a treu all mountain aspect to the shape and flex.

Didn't like these skis in big moguls. Could get down them okay, but longitudinal stiffness seemed to require pointing it with zipper-line skills to keep the skis oriented to the longer troughs. I don't have this skill set worked out - my mogul game is a more of a mixed salad of different choices, some requiring the ski to get a bit sideways in tighter spaces. My Mindbender 99ti's can do this and other than being wider are better in moguls for me. Twice I was pushing the Kendos very hard to get them where I wanted them and they hooked.

Hit a couple of park jumps and hips. Decent platform for landing, but doesn't conform well to take off transitions and too lively so fear of getting sprung at the wrong moment. Not a park ski, nor an all mountain ski that feel quiet in the park.

Overall I like the Kendos very much. I can push them much harder on edge than my Candide 1.0 90mm's and they are easier off piste. I already know the Kendos will replace the Candides as my hardpack ski.

Truth be told though, all day yesterday my Mindbender 99ti's would have been better everywhere - rail harder with more power, even more stable, as easy to turn, better off piste and (for me) better in moguls, not scary in the park. Better tool for smashing around spring slush. The Kendos were fun and just fine, won't really be "tested" until I get them out on a hardpack day. If they perform well and are confident and fun on hardpack then I'll know if they are a fit in my quiver.

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty consistent review of what we have all been saying about the 23' Kendo. It does basically everything you need it to/very versatile.....it's a damn good ski for lots of different conditions. It's all I skied this winter (except my Moment DW in Breckenridge over Easter/although I should of just skied the Kendo)

I sold basically my whole quiver the past few weeks. The only skis I kept were the 23' Kendo and my 14' Katanas (wall hangers).

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
3 more Kendo days. They ski really nicely on groomers +1 and +2, more stable and easier on the legs going fast, carve quicker.

Off piste in the heavy spring mank +1 less good but okay and +2 pretty tough sledding. It's the back of the ski that's the issue, not the front. These skis are stiff enough behind your heel that extra length in the tail is a real burden in lock-in snow.

Factor in of course that I'm on demo bindings, so higher off the ski, which I think makes them ski like you are farther forward? I've been happy on the line on some skis with demo bindings, but then after mounting regular bindings they feel like they are skiing farther back.

Or maybe I'm crazy and the binding height doesn't affect how forward or back you feel?

But anyway, I think the Kendos ski great +1 or +2 if you don't want to ski off piste in potentially hooky conditions.

And also pretty good on the line on hard pack if you have more of a forward pressuring style.

Mallet21

Booting up
Skier
My Mindbender 99ti's would have been better everywhere - rail harder with more power, even more stable, as easy to turn, better off piste and (for me) better in moguls, not scary in the park.

Where are your Mindbenders mounted? I’ve got a pair that will get bindings next fall and have seen a few mentions of folks moving them forward of the line a cm or 2.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where are your Mindbenders mounted? I’ve got a pair that will get bindings next fall and have seen a few mentions of folks moving them forward of the line a cm or 2.
Mallet first let me say that after three more days I have adapted to the Kendos, and now the Mindbenders feel like they are easier to manipulate turn shape by flexing your foot sideways. The Kendos find their track and once it is established they tend to stay in it.

But now I can push actually push the Kendos harder than the MBs. I think this is because the Kendo tips and tails are a bit stiffer, and once I got used to railing the whole ski, the Kendo sticks and drives a bit more smoothly, turning more pressure into more drive.

As for mount point on the Mindbenders I've been happy with +2. But as far as I know the Mindbenders line is farther back from center than most. Like 10 or 11cm. At plus two the Mindbenders carve harder and feel more stable to me, and are still just fine in all conditions off piste.

I'm in a 27.5 boot btw, so smaller or bigger is going to affect where the ball of the foot is relative to the line, and probably how the ski feels.

Also, fwiw, I sat next to a kid and his filmer on the park lift at Snoqualmie about a month ago. He was on the Mindbender 108s, mounted nearly centered, an absolutely love them and killed it on the rails and jumps in the park. I'm not sure if this means anything to regular skiers!

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Great feedback. I need to remount mine as I'm now -0.5 w/ a larger boot and it really steers like a boat.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January