• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Volkl Mantra 102

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've considered, but am a little turned off by the depth of rocker. And I haven't heard a peep from anyone who has ridden them.

What's a little interesting is that both Blizzard and Volkl are toning down their all mountain 88s and 100s (Brahma, Bonafide, Kendo, Mantra 102), yet their widest all mountain platforms (Cochise, Katana) are unchanged for '23.

Hamburglar789

Booting up
Skier
I was on my 191 Enforcer 104 Free’s most days last year. I absolutely love that ski, except I would often find it’s speed limit and they would start flapping around on me and I had a few pretty big wipeouts. I’m thinking the Mantra 102 might be a nice bump up in stability (but let me know if there are other skis I’m not thinking about that feel similar to the Enforcers - but more stable at speed). I know the Enforcers aren’t apples to apples compared to the Mantra 102’s when it comes to sizing so I was hoping to get y’all’s thoughts. I’m a 6’4” 205lbs advanced(ish) skier in Utah. The 191 length of the Enforcers felt fantastic and I found them to be surprisingly maneuverable in tight spots. Are the 191 Mantra 102s absolute beasts that are difficult in tight areas? Would I be able to find the speed limit of the 184’s? I know these are stout skis, but the number “184” scares me because I don’t remember the last time I was on a ski that short.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
191 102 = BEAST

184 = way way way way way more power than E104

I'm marginally shorter than you at 6'3, but 40lbs heavier.

going slow in tight wet snow with 191 = horrible.

I recently bought mantra 102, 2022 on summer sale in 184cm! and will be testing it shortly, owned the 191cm since its debut in 2020!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Would think the 190cm Salomon Stance 102 would be a perfect ski in between the Enforcer 104 and Mantra. More forgiving than the Mantra 102 but a longer turn radius so it’s more comfortable with speed than any Enforcer. See last years models for $480 CAN/$350 US right now too!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Are the 191 Mantra 102s absolute beasts that are difficult in tight areas? Would I be able to find the speed limit of the 184’s? I know these are stout skis, but the number “184” scares me because I don’t remember the last time I was on a ski that short.
Im 6'3" 190'ish and skied the mantra 102 191cm as my everyday ski in whitefish last year. I loved them. I would stay FAR AWAY from the 184 for myself. I found them very maneuverable in the bumps and trees but pretty dang good stability at speed. They got pushed around a smidge in the crud when I was trying to just break speed limits, but it was acceptable to me. My favorite everyday ski Ive been on but like most of my other Mantras they weren't that durable and started delaminating after about 75 days...

Josh skis

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can’t decide between the Mantra 102 and Enforcer 104 Free. Here’s a little about me and where I ski mostly.
5’11 177 pounds
Current ski: 177 Volkl Gotama (love these!)
Home hill: Whistler
Usually skiing: Blackcomb, blackcomb glacier/bowl, powder hunting, on regular trails fast GS where applicable, short quick when needed or to change it up.
background: raced for 10 years.
I’ve not had new skis in a long time (super happy with my goats), looking for advice from those who have skied both. Cheers!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Usually skiing: Blackcomb, blackcomb glacier/bowl, powder hunting, on regular trails fast GS where applicable, short quick when needed or to change it up.
background: raced for 10 years.
You are in the right spot. IF you want to let off the gas a little bit from the Mantra 102, I would suggest looking at the Salomon Stance 102 where I have a Cage Match HERE.
The Nordica Enforcer 104 Free might be a little more free than you want, if there was a Enforcer 104 liek the Enforcer 100, maybe, but that rise in the tail of the Free.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Im 6'3" 190'ish and skied the mantra 102 191cm as my everyday ski in whitefish last year. I loved them. I would stay FAR AWAY from the 184 for myself. I found them very maneuverable in the bumps and trees but pretty dang good stability at speed. They got pushed around a smidge in the crud when I was trying to just break speed limits, but it was acceptable to me. My favorite everyday ski Ive been on but like most of my other Mantras they weren't that durable and started delaminating after about 75 days...
telling me you ski hard, without telling me you ski hard :D

I did grab a spare pair in 184 now on sale for $250 just to try, and another pair in 191 as they have 50+ days now

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I had the pleasure of trying eight different pairs of skis this past weekend at the free Village Ski Loft demo day at Diamond Peak. The ski that put the biggest smile on my face was the Volkl Mantra 102 in a 184cm length. I felt comfortable and confident on this ski right away. It made easy turns in crud snow in the trees and absolutely railed on groomers. I want to buy a pair.

Questions:
Did Volkl make any major changes between the 2021 Mantra 102 and the 2023 Mantra 102?
Is being M6-ified a big difference?
I'm asking because I still haven't found any of the 2023 skis in stock and I received a discounted offer of $359 for a new 2021 Mantra 102 in a 184cm length from a seller on eBay.
Would I like the 2021 version as much as I liked the 2023 version?
Should I take the offer for the 2021 ski or keep shopping for the 2023 ski?
Thanks for any input/advice in advance.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's definitely a difference between 2022 (and earlier) and 2023. The most detailed write-up I've found on what changed is from the guys over at Blister.

I have the 2023 version, but never had the chance to ski the earlier models. Sorry!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^Agree. I think most people would be surprised at how well the new M102 performs in bumps and trees.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never met or heard of a smaller person on one of the shorter lengths say anything good about this ski. Seems like a model for big guys only.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Im thinking about picking up a pair of m102 in the 191 as a more casual ski when I need a mellow break from the cochises I've been daily driving. I havent skied this generation of m102 but Id really like how the previous gen skied(hopefully durability has improved??)

If anyone spots a nos pair of the previous gen please let me know, or any screaming deals on current models(191).

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
gf got a pair of 177 2021s recently and have been skiiing them quite a bit for the ice to slushwe have theese days.

interested in skiiing some 2023 back to back with my 2020-2021s Did have a buddy dropping buy saying he wanted my 184s... but hm

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
You are in the right spot. IF you want to let off the gas a little bit from the Mantra 102, I would suggest looking at the Salomon Stance 102 where I have a Cage Match HERE.
The Nordica Enforcer 104 Free might be a little more free than you want, if there was an Enforcer 104 liek the Enforcer 100, maybe, but that rise in the tail of the Free.
This cagenatch video has me intrigued.
I’m having trouble finding the Volkl Mantra 102 in a 184 anywhere at a decent price.
I saw the Salomon Stance 102 in a 183 at a pretty deep discount. Would this be a good ski for me until I can find the elusive 2023 Mantras? ((I’m not concerned with quiver overlap since I put plenty of days on my skis)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This cagenatch video has me intrigued.
I’m having trouble finding the Volkl Mantra 102 in a 184 anywhere at a decent price.
I saw the Salomon Stance 102 in a 183 at a pretty deep discount. Would this be a good ski for me until I can find the elusive 2023 Mantras? ((I’m not concerned with quiver overlap since I put plenty of days on my skis)
I really like both, yes the Stance 102 will work.

Sponsor