• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Volkl Mantra 102

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug:
Length tested: 177
Location tested: Sun Valley
Conditions: Fresh powder

Yes, the Mantra 102 is a big boy ski, but like many of the newest Volkls, the power of the Mantra 102 is now more obtainable without losing one iota of top end. The Manta 102 has been M6-ified with Volkl’s Tailored Tip and Tailored Titanal Frame, and like the Kendo 88, the Mantra 102 loses one meter from the center of its 3D sidecut but gains 4mm in the tip from 140 mm to 144 mm.

Nothing phased the Mantra 102 the day I skied it at Sun Valley. Like a High School bully, it just pounded everything in its way into submission. However, once you befriended the bully and learned that it just needed love and understanding, it became your best friend and was your body guard no matter how bad the conditions got.

• Insider Tip: This is one of the reference chargers in the class.
  • One thing I would change: As good as the Tailored Titanal Frame does for scaling the flex, I would still like to see a slightly softer version. But hey, that is a stretch, and I understand that I am not the demographic for the Mantra 102.
WadeHoliday
Length tested: 177
Conditions tested in: hard snow, mixed terrain.

Building on the Kendo, I’d cut and paste the tuning info, this one was also awesome, very similar feel, just a bit wider. These 2 would make a perfect 2 ski quiver, with such ideal feel and combo of a more “on the snow width, and this one, as a great “in” the snow width in my world. Slightly less shapely, but still enjoyed a variety of turn shapes and blends between shaped and carved turns. Happy in all shapes, great in 3 d snow, and bumps, and was even engaging in hard steeper pitch I skied it on. Same as Kendo, a bit extra noise/communication from the tip, but only an issue is you primarily ilke and ski on super quiet skis.
  • Insider tip: Did I say the stock edge and base finishing were amazing?!

Who is it for?
Still a great option for chargers, those who know how to let the mountain lead. Anyone looking for a wider ski for in the snow, that skis well everywhere!
Who is it not for?
Lighter more finesse skiers might get bucked around. Someone looking for a Loose powder ski.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
170, 177, 184, 191
Dimensions
142-102-124
Radius
26/19/24m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
  2. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking forward to trying these. Is the zero camber new? I have the fist gen Mantra 102, and they have some camber, but not a lot.

msr2009

Booting up
Skier
I’ve demoed the 177 and 184 of the 2022 version, and I liked the 177 (though it’s on the shorter side for me) but got bucked by the 184. Does the tailoring make the ski any easier to ski? I’m wondering if the 2023 184cm might be a better fit for me (6’ 200ish lbs).

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Im just sitting here going..... but why? :|

M6 is the friendlier version, why dumb the current one down

M102 191 as it is is a superb ski 20/21/22 , and I feel its just now recently getting traction and people are finally talking about it.
I know, I feel like I just started seeing them around the hill.

Now they’re being neutered a bit…

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Mantra 102 is now more obtainable

Still 191 ;) Turn radius shortened slightly, so I would say slightly less angry.

‘Obtainable’ not sure if thats a lamer than ‘accessible’ but sounds pretty lame.

Yuck and yuck!!

Looks like I'll be stockpiling those closeout models to keep me flush for a few years.

Im just sitting here going..... but why? :|

Why change? Make it more appealing to the 15 day a year crowd?? Theres enough skis for 'those people'.

Last edited:

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
‘Obtainable’ not sure if thats a lamer than ‘accessible’ but sounds pretty lame.

Yuck and yuck!!

Looks like I'll be stockpiling those closeout models to keep me flush for a few years.

Why change? Make it more appealing to the 15 day a year crowd?? Theres enough skis for 'those people'.
What person that liked the 191 wanted it to have a narrower waist radius? That seems totally pointless. If it’s truly “tailored” shouldn’t it be like damper or otherwise more badass than the old model? I don’t get it.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yuck and yuck!!

This is what happens to all "skiers' skis", chargers and other cool skis. Athletes make a cool ski, reviews say it's "burly", shops don't stock them, people don't buy them, and next season then they get watered down or canceled. If you like em and ski them hard stock up now. Or wait till something better comes along.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
This is what happens to all "skiers' skis", chargers and other cool skis. Athletes make a cool ski, reviews say it's "burly", shops don't stock them, people don't buy them, and next season then they get watered down or canceled.

True. I saw probably 30 set of M6 rental skis getting tail dragged around the mountain yesterday....

Amexicolo

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Well I’ll be skiing a pair of these in 184 this weekend in Colorado, looking forward to a good time. Getting these to be the bigger badder big brother to my beloved enforcer 94s and ripstick black 106s.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@chris_the_wrench, @anders_nor, what are your thoughts on the Katana 108? Looks like it's remaining the same for next season. I'm considering this or grabbing this year's M102. The Bonafide 183 has been my goto this year, but I'd like something a tad wider.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had (and sold) the katana 108, 191cm

I dont get enough snow for it, and its less chargy than M102

but... guessing you have more snow than me since you ask? Its a more pivoty, slightly less chargy, mor carbon feeling ski, it sits closer in performance and feel to the M6 than M102.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
@chris_the_wrench, @anders_nor, what are your thoughts on the Katana 108? Looks like it's remaining the same for next season. I'm considering this or grabbing this year's M102. The Bonafide 183 has been my goto this year, but I'd like something a tad wider.
I havent skied the current Katana but its on my summer sale shopping list as an option. We’ve had a light snow year but there was a couple of days I would of liked a slightly wider ski than the mantra 102. If I see a set for screaming offseason price I may grab those.

Sponsor