• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 Blizzard Rustler 10

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Winks
Size tested: 174
Location tested: Mammoth Mountain
Conditions tested in: A beautiful blue bird day with softening conditions

A long awaited update to a modern classic has arrived, but will it be any good? That is always the question I have when seeing a series of skis go through an update. Like most modern cars you don't always get the look or feel you were hoping for, instead you're left with something that wants to replicate itself after something your dad or grandpa owned. I am here to say that it is not the case with the new Rustlers. The skis are completely new and I'm here for it. The previous Rustler had its quirks to say the least but it was still a great ski, could it have been more aggressive given what we normally expect from a Blizzard product? sure it could have been, but they beat Fischer to the punch and sent out what they did.

The new Rustler feels like it carries over the width and name of the previous version, but that's about it. The titanal frame and more turned up tail change the characteristics a lot and it performs. Now surfier than ever with a feel that makes you want to slash more than bash is what makes the magic happen here, sure you can lay it over and grab a mean edge but being a kid from California I just want to ride every little wave I can find on these skis. Skiers might find terrain on and off piste they normally don't have a ton of confidence going into only to surprise themselves with how much easier it seemed. I do believe that the Rustler 10 is still the one to purchase, as it gives up very little compared to the 9, east coasters will disagree with me and that's fine, you can get your narrow skis, but for the west coasters just grab the 10. The mount point feels a bit more progressive than the previous version but all that really did for me was balance the ski better, so don't look at it as some park ski. The metal underfoot brings a lot of confidence at speed since I know the previous version had a bit of wobble that they tried to fix by thickening the laminate a bit. This Rustler just feels new and feels like Blizzard wasn't trying to compete with anyone or rush a product to market just because some other Austrian brand was working on something similar.

The end result here is that Blizzard will sell a lot of these new skis, yes I have a few concerns about durability but I will stay optimistic about that for now. I also believe that more and more people will look at these now even though they have a little more turned up tail than they might be used to.

• One thing I would change: I want to see Blizzard come out with some wild graphics, bring back the Bull!

Stephen: The Rustler 10 was my second favorite of the day -- mainly because I felt that it is a cross between the playfulness of the Tracer 108 and the business side of the Invictus 99Ti. I can see this being a great ski for a one- or two-ski quiver. Just add a carver for a 2SQ or stick with it through everything: it holds the snow well enough to carve a bit and make it through chop but also easily handles a bit of powder. I was impressed.
  • Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor.

Awards
Who is it for?
Those seeking a wider daily driver that has a lot of versatility. Aging twin tippers like Winks who spend less time in the park but still have something to prove on the rest of the hill. Those looking for a wider, do-it-all ski. Off-piste aficionados who want to make all kinds of turns.
Who is it not for?
Big-mountain chargers will be better served with the Cochise. Those with a larger quiver. There are other skis that excel in the different areas. Intermediates that have a bit of growing to do, The stiffer more aggressive ski will set you back if you're not ready.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164, 172, 180, 188
Dimensions
133-102-122.5
Radius
17.5m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
  2. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone has the 2024 in a 180 that can be demoed, let me know. Otherwise a good demo shop. Thanks

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vs Enforcer 104Free?

Sponsor