• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 Blizzard Thunderbird R15

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Updated from previous season ...

Erik Timmerman:
I skied the Thunderbird among a cluster of more expensive frontside rippers, and this ski does everything they do. Bangs off all the short turns you want with versatility and tenacious edge grip. If you never skied the other skis, you would never know what was missing. While you could say it is damp, it is not as smooth and refined as its pricier counterparts. I think of it as being like a Camaro ZL1: noisier than the Porsche, but just as fast, maybe faster. That probably helps to explain the Smokey and the Bandit graphics. The base felt noticeably slower than some of the other skis (I mean, you can't have it all at this price point).

Philpug: The 70mm T-bird is a true ripper that Blizzard will sell tens of. Why do they put this amount of effort into a halo ski that will not sell in volume? Because Blizzard wants to make a ski that when someone seeing a good skier getting the most out of these skis on the hill, they will ask, “What the &^$# ski is that?” I commend Blizzard for bringing chargers like the Thunderbird R15 to market.

Blizzard brings a lot of technology into the new Thunderbirds with its Trueblend wood core along with carbon fiber with its Active Carbon Armor, which, for those of us that have been around for a while goes back to the old G-Power skis. On-snow feel is what you would expect from a full-contact 70mm ski: tenacious grip and stellar hard-snow performance.
  • Insider tip I: The only thing that would make these even better is if Blizzard offered a Thunderbird Pro with a Marker piston plate and X-comp bindings.
  • Insider tip II: An extra level of respect goes out for any model that is offered in 5cm increments.

Awards
Who is it for?
Ricky Bobby, If you ain't first, you are last.
Who is it not for?
Jean Girard.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
155, 160. 165, 170, 175, 180
Dimensions
121-70-102
Radius
15m@175cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. System

NickZ

Booting up
Skier
I'm venturing into a Salomon Force Bold because it was: 1. cheap, 2. obviously 2 layers of metal, and 3. made in the Atomic factory in Austria. I have been a dedicated Blizzard Quattro user (a few years back). What I want to know is whether Blizzard is continuing in the Quattro and Firerbird tradition and still making the current ski in this Thunderbird genre with 2 sheets of metal. Atomic and Elan dropped the 2 metal sheet design in their front side skis some years back. I wish ski companies would be a bit more transparent re what is in the ski.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does the actual construction of a ski matter? For me, it's how the skis feel while skiing that matter.
But then there are those that buy skis based on the top sheet graphic. :huh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does the actual construction of a ski matter? For me, it's how the skis feel while skiing that matter.
But then there are those that buy skis based on the top sheet graphic. :huh:
I agree. A ski has to have two sheets of metal ... is has to be a wood core ... one of the beefiest skis ever was the K2 VO Slalom that was a (wet wrap) foam core ski without metal or wood. A ski is more than the sum of it's parts.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A ski is more than the sum of it's parts.

Exactly. The magic is in the execution.

It's like in most interviews. I am holding the resume and looking across the table. WTF?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope you like the Bolds; one of my all time favorites. This season a Q9.8 is taking that spot.

I wish ski companies would be a bit more transparent re what is in the ski.

I'd prefer less transparency. I tire hearing about all the latest fake ski tech; there's only so many ways to cut out a sheet of aluminum. Honestly I'd probably buy a pair of Kastles if they'd just cover up the tips and not tell me about HollowTech.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly. The magic is in the execution.

It's like in most interviews. I am holding the resume and looking across the table. WTF?
You must be good at interviewing. In my experience the WTF moment comes after they get hired. People and skis.

Sponsor