• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 Blossom Pure 94

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_3943.jpeg
Philpug
Size:183cm
Conditions: Early season chalk

First of all, I am not too sure it is too early to pour one out for Premier Skis' relationship with Blossom skis. Right now the distributorship is for naught, so finding the Pure 94 might be tough. With that out of the way, let's talk about what is probably the most "modern" Blossom I have seen in recent memory. There is little question that Blossom's collection of skis is very well the oldest - errrr - most mature of any ski collection in the industry with some designs old enough to drive themselves to the slopes.

The Pure collection's patriarch is the Pure 99, as traditional a ski design as anything in this category. It really is time to move on from it. Enter the Pure 94 with its squared tip, a la the Augment 98 or Lusti CWR+ 95, a tip design that works superbly in every condition we put it through. The Pure 94 also has a wider squared tail that has only 8 mm of taper from the tip to the tail which is very unusual in a segment where it is not uncommon to have a tail that is up to 20 mm narrower than the tip. This allows the tail to follow the tip through the turn with confidence, yet not get hung up in the bumps.

You would think the lavender color might be polarizing, but we received nothing but compliments from both bros and hos/guys and gals/men and women in the lift line (please feel free to use your terms of choice). I am personally not a fan of the zig/zag lines but they wouldn't stop me from buying the ski.

Did I mention I liked the shape? Well, I would really like Blossom to consider expanding this design to an 88 and a 100 or 102. Blossom is using a lighter platform to keep the ski light at 1600g and bill it as a "Powder Ski." Yes, the Euros think differently than us Americans, which makes the Pure 94 a great option for a lighter or finesse skier here in the US. But I think stronger skiers could overpower the ski. It still comes down to realistic expectations.
  • Insider Tip: If you are between sizes, err to the longer length.
  • One thing I would change: To quote Tim Taylor, "More Power"

Tricia
Length: 174cm
Conditions: Early season chalk

While the boys on our test team have had the good fortune to ski some of Blossom's Pure collection in the past, we never had a chance to get something in my size. This year we received the Pure 94 in both a long and somewhat shorter, 174cm length, much to my delight.

Mt Rose, being the only ski hill open, had one top to bottom run, which, as you can imagine, was getting some nice push piles of cold chalky snow. Though they are grooming a majority of the ski run, they are also leaving some moguls off to skiers' right. This served up some ideal terrain to put the Pure 94 through its paces.

If you've been reading my reviews, you know that I tend to lean toward narrower skis in early season conditions, so taking out a ski that's 94mm under foot is not something you may expect from me. But these lavender beauties begged to be taken out of the barn and given a good run. Things I noticed right away with the Blossom Pure 94 is that it has an interesting shape and flex. I anticipated it would be much stiffer, but it has a fun flex-y feel, which was enhanced by the taper. The shape and flex made for easy turn initiation and a playful nature that not only managed the push piles of chalky snow, but danced in the firm moguls and still arced some turns going back to the lift.
  • Insider tip: If you're looking for a narrow wide ski this should be on your short list.
  • One thing I would change: I'll have to think on this.

Who is it for?
Lighter/Finesse skier will get a day's worth of grins by the second or third run.
Who is it not for?
Bigger skiers/Clydesdales might want a little more. Wallflowers, you will get a lot of questions in the lift line.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 174, 183
Dimensions
133-94-125
Radius
17m@174cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. All new
Ski Weight:
1700g@174cm
Binding options
  1. Flat

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ċan vouch for the compliments on the ski as I had the pleasure to ski with @Philpug and @Tricia at Mt. Rose. They know I am a huge fan of the Pure 99 but dang if I didn’t just after their Pure 94s! Where’s my Blossom AM77s we’re getting thrown around a bit on piles I couldn’t see in low visibility, they didn’t send to be having any problems. Of course, those two could make 2x4s look good!

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the XPure 94s today at Mt Rose and I can't think of a ski that I would rather have been on, and I have Blossom AM77s and Blizzard Rustler 11s. The snow was 8"-10" of fresh but dense wind buff. The XPures comported themselves admirably in uncut snow but really shown when it was cut up and totally rocked once it had gone to crud. They are light, responsive, damp, predictable and as floaty and a 94 can be in 3-d snow. There wasn't much firm to be found but they carved like 14 m radius Blossoms (which is to say great) where I could find blown-off corduroy and almost-boilerplate. And at 70 YO, 140 lbs and my skiing style, I fit right into the "Who's it for" criteria of lightweight / finess skier Phil identified above. And at least 3 people (men and women) told me what a great color they are.

Sponsor