• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 New England Gathering discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony,

If you have never skied Bolton when conditions are good, you are missing out on some prime glade, AT, xcountry terrain. Best combined offering of any Vt ski area IMHO. The place seems perfect for nordic skating as well. You can almost ignore the trails, the fun skiing is in the woods.

1682683791519.png

1682683816642.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony,

If you have never skied Bolton when conditions are good, you are missing out on some prime glade, AT, xcountry terrain. Best combined offering of any Vt ski area IMHO. The place seems perfect for nordic skating as well. You can almost ignore the trails, the fun skiing is in the woods.
I lived in the area for 9 years. I went to Bolton quite a bit. The XC was very good (but hilly!) The alpine was a snooze. However, I admit that that was 30 years ago, pre-glades. And I was a less proficient skier. So yes, maybe it's time to give it another shot.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I lived in the area for 9 years. I went to Bolton quite a bit. The XC was very good (but hilly!) The alpine was a snooze. However, I admit that that was 30 years ago, pre-glades. And I was a less proficient skier. So yes, maybe it's time to give it another shot.
Just come to the MId-A Gathering first (if there is one), and Bolton will seem like a big mountain.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the typical late March timeframe, have lines ever been a significant issue at this event regardless of where it was held?

James

Out There
Instructor
Last time I was at Magic was MLK weekend 2019 (I think). It was an utter unmitigated shit show. So bad that I just left at 10:00 and drove back to Maine.
Should’ve gone to Cochran’s. Or, Whaleback on the way home- pitch + vert (700)

Bolton- the DesLauriers bros learned to ski there. Bode had Cannon/Mittersill woods, they had Bolton.

Last time I went to Magic was with bumpfreaq There had just been a dump of 15-20” It was February, still, one of the steep trails off the ridge was bare dirt at the top for 50 yards.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the typical late March timeframe, have lines ever been a significant issue at this event regardless of where it was held?
Perhaps not, but we've never had it in southern Vermont either.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Are Canadian lift lines like French lift lines?
Hmm..in numbers or behaviour? Our lift lines are typically fairly polite and organized, if somewhat more dumb these days. People rush through the RFID gates THEN stop to wait for their group..wtf? It's not that big an area!!! I think it really depends where you are and when.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Way too often going through an RFID gate these days I wonder if the people in front of me have never encountered one before.

James

Out There
Instructor
Vail got rid of our rfid gates. It’s faster without, but does require labor.
Probkem with rfid is if someone has a problem, then the people with them cause an even bigger blockage as they stand there.
Every time you go through those gates your picture is taken. So if you change coats in the afternoon, you might get flagged. Or if a child suddenly grows a foot and a half. The person with that hand held computer can pull up all your data.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
At Attitash and Wildcat they have a hand held scanner which works quite well, and they scan usually way before there would be a line up problem, also at Loon at the Kanc8 the building is so large that the problems with the RFID being finicky will work itself out before people are formed into a group of 8 , at Sunday River the Jordan 8 is way to short plus uphill which has got to be a S show on weekends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online