• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored 2024 Salomon Stance 96 Review

https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

With a re-vamped build and a snazzy looking new topsheet, the 2024 Salomon Stance 96 makes a move towards energy, accessibility, and versatility. When we first got on the Stance 96 for the 2021 ski season, the sturdiness and sharp-turning ability was very apparent. Personally, I (Bob) felt an instant connection to the ski in a variety of conditions and terrain, from snowy moguls to firm groomers. Blasé graphics aside, this ski was an absolute weapon when it came to all-mountain high-performance skiing. While the Volkl Mantra, Blizzard Bonafide, and Nordica Enforcer skis of the world generally get top-billing for mid-90's all-mountain excellence, the Stance 96 basically did the ski equivalent of "hold my beer." For a variety of reasons, whether it’s appearance-based or lack of marketing effort, Stance 96 never really got its foot in the mainstream door, and we thought that was a darn shame. For 2024, Salomon is taking a slight pivot on this ski, lightening the load with a new wood core, increasing maneuverability with a refined metal laminate, and sharpening the look by bringing some color and technical themes to the mix. Overall, this new iteration should hit a broader audience of skiers who are looking for a sturdy, sharp, and energetic ski with very few limitations.​

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Convinced that they’d have sold way more of the graphics were better prior. Looking likes a step in right direction w new colorway!

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Convinced that they’d have sold way more of the graphics were better prior. Looking likes a step in right direction w new colorway!
But the new construction? I was looking forward to trying this ski. Now I’m not so sure. Exactly how many skis does the industry need to “appeal to a broader audience”?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
But the new construction? I was looking forward to trying this ski. Now I’m not so sure. Exactly how many skis does the industry need to “appeal to a broader audience”?
The audience gets broader every year & the skis must adjust.

I do hear ya.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But what about the snow feel? Every once in a while I try a Salomon ski and they always just feel like very very very stiff cardboard to me. Like I made them in my basement out of old wine boxes and leftover materials from repairing my canoe. I recognize that this is a preference thing and not objective in any way. Most recently at the Aspen gathering in 2022 I spent half a day on the QST 98. Honestly that was the most innocuous ski I've been on in recent memory.

James

Out There
Instructor
But what about the snow feel? Every once in a while I try a Salomon ski and they always just feel like very very very stiff cardboard to me. Like I made them in my basement out of old wine boxes and leftover materials from repairing my canoe. I recognize that this is a preference thing and not objective in any way. Most recently at the Aspen gathering in 2022 I spent half a day on the QST 98. Honestly that was the most innocuous ski I've been on in recent memory.
Stance 90 is not like that at all. Lots of subtlety, really fun tail, and in say slightly wind packed pow it’s a really responsive quick turner.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never tried a Stance, too bad. Other than I own the ski below (X-Drive 8.8), which is an awsome, stiff, damp, Clyde crappy snow ski (which Tony would hate). Definitely not an “appeal to a broader audience” ski. Salomon doesn't seem to have any really popular skis. I guess I should qualify that within my crowd. I have never even wanted to try one except for the S/Force Bold, which I never did either.

Interesting that the X-Drive is 88mm wide waist, 184cm long and the Faction CT1.0 is 92mm wide waist, 183cm long. They ski quite different.

IMG_20211112_154610993.jpg DSCN0385.JPG

Last edited:

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I tried the old one for a day, liked and almost bought it, but ultimately decided it was just a little bit more ski than I wanted. Looking forward to trying this new one in a couple of months.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah a have that same graphics X Drive 88 in 172 that I use for a crappy conditions woods ski. I really need a replacement because I dislike the ski. I did minor mud skiing at Killington with it.
In particular the flex push back when you span a trough. Nothing about it feels smooth or how a ski should feel flexing. Now maybe the ski is just poor in that size - not enough length to get in the flex groove.
But this why there’s different skis for different people.

@Tony S would likely hate this ski. Take your “cardboard Salomon” and layer it up with carbon.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never tried a Stance, too bad. Other than I own the ski below (X-Drive 8.8), which is an awsome, stiff, damp, Clyde crappy snow ski (which Tony would hate). Definitely not an “appeal to a broader audience” ski. Salomon doesn't seem to have any really popular skis. I guess I should qualify that within my crowd. I have never even wanted to try one except for the S/Force Bold, which I never did either.

Interesting that the X-Drive is 88mm wide waist, 184cm long and the Faction CT1.0 is 92mm wide waist, 183cm long. They ski quite different.

View attachment 202626 View attachment 202625
I'm very impressed that you're skiing that Faction with no bindings!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You saw me at this years NEG, the pink double sticky tape really does the trick, maybe I should market it and call it "Grip Tight" binding tape. :cool:

James

Out There
Instructor
You saw me at this years NEG, the pink double sticky tape really does the trick, maybe I should market it and call it "Grip Tight" binding tape. :cool:
You wanting to get rid of the Faction?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No.
Once I got the Faction CT1.0 flat and with a consistent base bevel, I really liked the skis performance. I bought a second pair for my son, he liked them too.

Its a ski that @Tony S might like in a shorter size. It is stiff, but with an even flex pattern along its length, its not at all punishing. Carves great, handles speed, pivots easily, feels balanced, grips well, pretty damp but has some pop. This is strictly for the 20/21 model year. All the others are much softer and not as good at speed. More towards park type skiing. They "overbuilt" the ski when it was built in the Fischer plant, and all mtn skiers got a high performance park type ski. Only year that happened.

Your welcome to try mine some time. I think of you in the bumps at Saddleback on your Kastle "whatever" that was, what 187cm?? The 183cm Faction should be similarly high performance, but much easier to deal with in the bumps.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I think of you in the bumps at Saddleback on your Kastle "whatever" that was, what 187cm?? The 183cm Faction should be similarly high performance, but much easier to deal with in the bumps.
Too long. 188. Fx96 ‘23 That was the first and only day on that. Yes that ski in that length wasn’t bump friendly.

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
"The shape of a ski is really, really important....."

What I want to know is where I can get one of those kick ass Wells Lamont hoodies. They are always sold out!

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I have been wanting to demo these, but alas I demoed and loved FX 96Ti this spring, loverdthem so much that Kastle will be my next season ski. Though I still would like to demo Stance next season, out of curiosity, heard great things about them from multiple people.

Sponsor

Staff online