• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 Taos Mini-Gathering - Feb 3 - Feb 10, 2024

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
2024 Taos Mini-Gathering, February 3 - February 10, 2024
NOTE : This is a living post and will be changed as new information becomes available (last updated 1/30/2024)

Taos Gathering 2023 222 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
The view from the top of Kachina Lift, February 2023

The dates for the 2024 Taos Gathering are February 3rd - 10th, 2024. Last season, we decided to push a week later into the season, into February in the hopes that Kachina lift would be open - and it worked out great. So we'll be going the first week of February again in 2024.

As always, anyone and everyone is welcome at a Gathering and the planning and coordination is minimal. Just show up on the right week, and you'll have some great folks to ski with! And at Taos most folks will likely do a Ski Week (week's worth of lessons). Personally, this will be my 6th Taos Gathering, and I'm really looking forward to it. See below for more Ski Week information.

If you're planning to come, please add yourself in the roll call thread, here:

Ski Week

If you haven't done a Ski Week before, it's been a good deal, and well worth it. You get six 2.5-hour small group lessons - one each morning Sunday through Friday - for a good price. The price for 2024 is $408 including tax - $15 more than last season. Taos instructors and lesson programs are very well regarded, and I've always had a great time and learned a lot, though YMMV.

One thing to note is that for about the same price, if you can get a group of 5 together who would like to take a lesson together, you can book a private Snowsports Week. That would let you not get randomly assigned to a group and make sure you ski with the people you want to. And will let you pick the instructor, if there's one you'd like to book.

You can book and see more details here: https://www.skitaos.com/snowsports-lessons

Lift Tickets

Taos is part of the Ikon Pass, and Mountain Collective Pass, so those are good options. Note that Taos is NOT ON THE IKON BASE PASS for 2024; the Base Pass Plus (5 days) or full Ikon Pass (7 days) are required. Reservations will no longer be required. The current regular lift ticket rate if you buy now is $105 - $135 per day, depending on which day and how many days you purchase. The walk-up rate is likely to be somewhat higher.

Taos Ski Valley

Taos is well known for having difficult terrain, with an abundance of steeps and chutes, many of which are hike-to terrain. But there's plenty of tough stuff that doesn't require a hike too. Taos is also known for an abundance of bumps, and many of the lessons will spend time in bumps, at pretty much all skiing levels. And for anyone that doesn't ski the more difficult stuff (like me much of the time) there are some nice groomers, easy trees, and easier bumps too!

Lift 4 will be a new high-speed quad for this year, so easier lapping on that side of the mountain. And there are 3 new named trails:
  • Dadou's - cut through the woods skiers right of Al's
  • Ponsse Scheme - Dropping skiers left off the short pitch leading from lift 7 down toward lift 4
  • Cache Stash - Between the meandering Patton and El Funko toward the lower part of lift 4
You can view the trail map here: https://www.skitaos.com/lifts-trails#trail-map

Parking

If you're not staying at the base village, the drive up is typically easy on a well maintained canyon road. And parking is easy, with "cattle car" type shuttles that circulate the lot to take you up to the base.

1627085014784.png

Boot-Up

Taos has a nice locker room in the lower level of the cafeteria building. It has pay lockers and cubbies.

Taos 020120 001 ACR Conv.jpg

Daily meet-ups

Typically, folks tend to meetup in the locker room or at lift 1 at opening (9:00 AM) to get a warm-up lap or two in before the morning lessons (which start at ~9:30).

Then after lunch, there's another chance to meet-up and form some groups at ~1:00, again near lift one, as shown in the diagram below. And Taos is not all that large, and there's a pretty good chance you'll run into folks around the mountain during the morning or afternoon too.

1627085054821.png

I hope to see a lot of folks make it this season!

EDIT, 1/30/24:

We are getting close to Gathering time! I plan to be out a little early, about 8:30-8:40 to meet folks and be ready to go when the lift starts. For anyone that doesn't know me, I'll look approximately like this, but way more good looking in person :P And my name is Dave.

1706641983188.png

Last edited:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I know I will be going back to Taos, not quite sure yet which week, but I may try to make this week work.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll likely be there the whole week prior as well as the gathering week. I’ll be on a new knee and plan on spending some time with Alain on some private lessons to remove bad habits from protecting this knee for years and get my form in order.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll likely be there the whole week prior as well as the gathering week. I’ll be on a new knee and plan on spending some time with Alain on some private lessons to remove bad habits from protecting this knee for years and get my form in order.
You got a new knee huh? What model did you get? I hope you went for the super flex sports model, ha ha. I need to get my knee looked at as well, both have been operated on, been years… but my right knee I get pain just started last year, only when hiking/going up stairs in ski boots, no pain when skiing, so tempted not to worry about it. But I need to get it checked out.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You got a new knee huh? What model did you get? I hope you went for the super flex sports model, ha ha. I need to get my knee looked at as well, both have been operated on, been years… but my right knee I get pain just started last year, only when hiking/going up stairs in ski boots, no pain when skiing, so tempted not to worry about it. But I need to get it checked out.
Left knee ACL replacement and some meniscus cleanup. It had been completely severed for a number of years. Retired while in Alta and came home and got the surgery done immediately thereafter. It had been a huge detriment to my skiing but work hadn’t allowed me the downtime. Neither will be an issue now. :cool:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided to attend this year. Airfare from SEA to ABQ is pretty affordable, and with a Worldmark at Taos about 30 minutes from the ski resort, and with Ikon pass already purchased, it seems like the thing to do since I don’t have any competing commitments. A ski week for sure.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, I see that the Ikon Base Pass is not sufficient, which is very affordable coming with the Killington Beast 365 pass but is not eligible for upgrade.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I see that the Ikon Base Pass is not sufficient, which is very affordable coming with the Killington Beast 365 pass but is not eligible for upgrade.
Yeah... that's a big difference for Taos this season. We'll see what impact it has on crowds. Though of all the weeks I've spent at Taos, I've never actually seen a crowd. (I suppose late Jan/early Feb is just not when they are worried about crowds.)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah... that's a big difference for Taos this season. We'll see what impact it has on crowds. Though of all the weeks I've spent at Taos, I've never actually seen a crowd. (I suppose late Jan/early Feb is just not when they are worried about crowds.)
I didn't think the crowds were bad at all, although we were just coming out of the pandemic in 2022. The blackout dates already eliminate the busiest parts of the season. Oh well...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The blackout dates already eliminate the busiest parts of the season.
Taos's busy parts, as I understand it, are powder weekends and Texas spring break. The blackouts likely don't work for those.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I liked Taos so much this year I decided to go back. Am 99% sure I'll do a ski week. Am very excited! It'll be my first Gathering, mini or otherwise. I'm an intermediate so it's unlikely I'll be hiking Kachina with you but I'm looking forward to putting faces together with names.

Sponsor

Staff online