• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

21/22 Ikon Pass goes on sale 3/11/21

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd be happy if I could use it at all this year. They could have easily put in a stipulation that by deferring the past, you waive all right to use it this year. They also could have done "If you are deferring your pass, for $149, you can use it the rest of this year."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I did not read the Adventure Assurance details because I knew I was not going to defer my pass, so if I missed some details, then I apologize.

I'm still trying to be extra patient and extra understanding with everyone who is trying to navigate these crazy times.

Neary half of my ski days this season have been at IKON resorts, most of which were business

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I paid for a pass with an Adventure Assurance deferral option which clearly says that I can apply the value of my 2020-21 pass to buy a 2021-22 pass.
I am expecting to be able to apply the credit when I buy a 2021-22 pass, not have to wait for an arbitrary date which was not stated in the Adventure Assurance T&C when I bought my pass. Especially when they said that you can use your credit to buy another 2020-21 pass before it goes off sale sometime in December.
I don't see how just respecting the contract I agreed too is "having the cake and eating it too". And especially as I will end to pay as much as (if not more if they don't grant the renewal discount) as a new customer.
FAQ on this now says:

If I deferred my 20/21 Ikon Pass and wish to purchase a 21/22 Ikon Pass with my credit, will I get 2021 spring access?
Any 20/21 Ikon Pass holder who defers their pass to 21/22 will be eligible for all Ikon Pass benefits, including available spring access, for winter 21/22 once the 21/22 Ikon Pass is purchased. All deferral credits will be deposited in My Account starting April 19, 2021. Should you purchase your 21/22 pass before your credit is deposited for use, you will forgo your credit amount. All pass sales are final. Any pass purchased with valid credit will be eligible for any spring access available after April 19, 2021. You must elect to defer your 20/21 Ikon Pass in My Account by April 11, 2021.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ That seems like fairly normal timing. Generally, the “rest of this season” perk begins after spring break season is finished. Although it seems fair, I think it is important for them to remember that they closed on March 16 last year; so, they might want to show a little good will and let the benefits start a little early this year.

it makes no difference to me; I activated mine in November.

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
FAQ on this now says:

If I deferred my 20/21 Ikon Pass and wish to purchase a 21/22 Ikon Pass with my credit, will I get 2021 spring access?
Any 20/21 Ikon Pass holder who defers their pass to 21/22 will be eligible for all Ikon Pass benefits, including available spring access, for winter 21/22 once the 21/22 Ikon Pass is purchased. All deferral credits will be deposited in My Account starting April 19, 2021. Should you purchase your 21/22 pass before your credit is deposited for use, you will forgo your credit amount. All pass sales are final. Any pass purchased with valid credit will be eligible for any spring access available after April 19, 2021. You must elect to defer your 20/21 Ikon Pass in My Account by April 11, 2021.

Well it is not what it said when I purchased. This just came out.
You cannot change unilaterally the T&C once the product is sold. The previous FAQ was clearly not stating any date before which you cannot use the credit. They were even offering to buy another 2020-21 pass - and get credit for the pass you deferred - if, let's said, you deferred in October but changed your mind and want to buy a new pass in November (how would that even be possible if you have to wait for April 19, 2021 to get the credit).
I am just asking them to honor the Adventure Assurance as they sold it and get my deferral credit on a new 2021-22 pass if I buy it in March. I am not asking to have free spring skiing on a pass I deferred.
Then they can absolutely offer spring skiing or not to the 2021-22 pass bought in March, this is their choice.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think you'll probably lose sympathy among those truly caught out by their circumstances if you keep moaning about missing out on one week's skiing in a season when you didn't choose to ski. They are letting people take decisions to defer up to 11 April then processing credits a week later. Doesn't seem unreasonable. If you were in the market for buying back into a 20/21 pass when they were still available you should have contacted them at the time.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you'll probably lose sympathy among those truly caught out by their circumstances if you keep moaning about missing out on one week's skiing in a season when you didn't choose to ski. They are letting people take decisions to defer up to 11 April then processing credits a week later. Doesn't seem unreasonable. If you were in the market for buying back into a 20/21 pass when they were still available you should have contacted them at the time.
But nobody is looking for sympathy. They are asking a corporation to stay true to their original offer.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
But nobody is looking for sympathy. They are asking a corporation to stay true to their original offer.

But what was their original offer exactly? I'd be pretty sure it said precisely nothing about Spring benefits and probably didn't commit to a date by which credits would be given. If they were being particularly cute/avaricious they could probably give the credit at the last possible moment while 21/22 passes were still available and benefit from whatever price hikes happen until then and still live by the word of "we will credit in full what you have paid against a 21/22 pass". Against that, which I agree would be a bit shabby, then this issue is small beer.

Seems 20/21 deferred passholders are already benefitting over those of us that didn't buy the pass (because we knew we couldn't use it) by getting the renewal discount. Everyone can find something to whine about.

Bob V

Booting up
Skier

If you think it is fair to punish people who lend money for free to Ikon for 10 months compared to new customers who didn't buy anything last year, you are completely entitled to your opinion (and I am not asking for your sympathy).
What I think is fair is to just provide what they sold. Which is a credit on a 2021-22 purchase once a 2020-21 is deferred. Adding a April 23, 2021 date before which they decided to not honor their assurance was not part of the offer.
Ok I recognize I maybe overreacted because the only station I could use my pass is closing on April 22 but still, they are clrealy not respecting their original offer (and it's fine if you disagree).

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
But what was their original offer exactly? I'd be pretty sure it said precisely nothing about Spring benefits and probably didn't commit to a date by which credits would be given. If they were being particularly cute/avaricious they could probably give the credit at the last possible moment while 21/22 passes were still available and benefit from whatever price hikes happen until then and still live by the word of "we will credit in full what you have paid against a 21/22 pass". Against that, which I agree would be a bit shabby, then this issue is small beer.

Seems 20/21 deferred passholders are already benefitting over those of us that didn't buy the pass (because we knew we couldn't use it) by getting the renewal discount. Everyone can find something to whine about.

It's not a given that they are offering the renewal discount to those who deferred, as far as I know. If that is actually the case I agree this is good news.
That's said they are examples of people who did not buy at all in 2020-21 and got the renewal credit anyway by being former holders - I agree this is a gesture they are doing to some people and not a published policy so you cannot really complain to not get the same treatment.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If you think it is fair to punish people who lend money for free to Ikon for 10 months compared to new customers who didn't buy anything last year, you are completely entitled to your opinion (and I am not asking for your sympathy).
What I think is fair is to just provide what they sold. Which is a credit on a 2021-22 purchase once a 2020-21 is deferred. Adding a April 23, 2021 date before which they decided to not honor their assurance was not part of the offer.
Ok I recognize I maybe overreacted because the only station I could use my pass is closing on April 22 but still, they are clrealy not respecting their original offer (and it's fine if you disagree).

I guess I don't see it as "punishment". Not getting a single perk isn't punishment it's just a relative disadvantage and I struggle to see how it was what they "sold" you.

Of course in your shoes I'd be a bit pee'd off but the number of people that were unable/unwilling to ski up until 12 April but desperate to ski just that week must be quite small.

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
I guess I don't see it as "punishment". Not getting a single perk isn't punishment it's just a relative disadvantage and I struggle to see how it was what they "sold" you.

Of course in your shoes I'd be a bit pee'd off but the number of people that were unable/unwilling to ski up until 12 April but desperate to ski just that week must be quite small.

I did ski this season. It is just that, with closed borders, almost no possibility to travel, they were just one single place where I could use my Ikon pass and I evaluate in fall 2020 that the value was not there compared to other products / day tickets. I don't know how long it will be that way but luckily you can still ski without an Ikon or an Epic pass.
And by the way I also lost the spring skiing season in 2019-20 like everyone else.
But the lesson is learnt, it is not the smartest idea to buy a thousand dollars product in the middle of a pandemic which you cannot use for months and you have no idea how things will play out. I will remember it for the next big pandemic in 50-100 years :D

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ha this season was full of shenanigans. Some small some big.
One of my gripes is they switched the friends and family rate mid-season and wasnt a discount on the actual window rate (or night before) but against the Max peak window rate.

The fullpass ikon people which said no blackouts but theb had to pay extra to get on certain partner mtn due to profit probably got the rawest slap in the face.
Epic passholders are having a worse time aligning their expectations of refunds to the policy and claims process.

Anyway if the point of this is about actions being louder than words vs whinging, hope you kept your documentation and have fun in small claims court and burn your bridges over this.
We've seen even issues like northstar parking are grounds for you to win and get your money back

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my favorite song about life in general.

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
Just like the 100 year storms that happens every 10 years. :cool:

Seriously, if we are still debating on spring skiing access for passholders in 50 years it would actually be awesome.
That would means that they would be enough snow to ski in April and that climate change would have ended to be under control.
Even 10 years for now it would be a kind of good news.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, just called ICON.
If you deferred last years pass, you are still considered a "renewal" rate and Not a "new" pass holder. You cant use last years credit until Apr 19/21 though.

So if my logic is correct and i paid 600 last year and my renewal rate is 650 for the plan I choose then i apply my 600 and i owe them 50. If i use my credit and pay the 50 on Apr 19 then i can ski on Apr. 19 at the resorts that allow it like Mammoth.

Hope i heard that correctly

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, just called ICON.
If you deferred last years pass, you are still considered a "renewal" rate and Not a "new" pass holder. You cant use last years credit until Apr 19/21 though.

So if my logic is correct and i paid 600 last year and my renewal rate is 650 for the plan I choose then i apply my 600 and i owe them 50. If i use my credit and pay the 50 on Apr 19 then i can ski on Apr. 19 at the resorts that allow it like Mammoth.

The nuance is you can apply the credit to any pass product. So if you become a Nurse, or enroll in college or signup with the Military in the next 6weeks you could get that alternate product at different pricing; and doesn't have to be the exact same product that you originally deferred.

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
Ok, just called ICON.

Ok, this is good news. You cannot get spring skiing before Apr 19/21 but at least you get the renewal discount.
I actually like the idea of giving up the renewal discount and got free spring skiing by buying the pass once every two years. Lesson learnt, don't buy a product which cannot be used for months, especially in uncertain times.

Sponsor

Staff online