• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

21/22 Ikon Pass goes on sale 3/11/21

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No group buy / discount codes for SkiTalk people?
They do have College Ski Club discounts, very nice ones at that.

Worst case, maybe Skitalk can neg for next year? Sign me up for 4 passes!

Club and College in same grouping:

COLLEGE PRICING
THE IKON PASS COLLEGE CLUB PROGRAM GRANTS CURRENT STUDENTS SPECIAL PRICING THROUGH CLUBS PARTNERED WITH US BELOW.
Score your discount between March 11 and November 17, 2021​
Ikon Pass = $619 USD (799 $ CAD)​
Ikon Base Pass with Add-On = $599 USD (779 $ CAD)​
Ikon Base Pass = $449 USD (579 $ CAD)​

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone have opinions (or actual knowledge) as to whether I can use a deferred-to-2021/22 pass on lodging discounts this spring?

I am deferring my 20/21 pass and will buy and use a 21/22 pass on April 19. I understand that I will get a temporary pass good only for the spring and then the whole kit and caboodle pass and stickers and what not in the fall.

Can I use the temporary pass to get lodging discounts this spring?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have opinions (or actual knowledge) as to whether I can use a deferred-to-2021/22 pass on lodging discounts this spring?
No at Squaw. They explicitly say so on the ikon lodging page. (Not for new purchases for next year using spring access either,) I could swear that wasn't there the first time I checked....
No info if that is a blanket policy or place-by-place.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No at Squaw. They explicitly say so on the ikon lodging page. (Not for new purchases for next year using spring access either,) I could swear that wasn't there the first time I checked....
No info if that is a blanket policy or place-by-place.

Thanks - I’ll go check for Mammoth. I’ve other discounts up my sleeve...

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
News from Big Sky... except for the more expensive Big Sky season passes, most passes and tickets no longer include tram access. This includes all Ikon and MCP passes. Instead...

"To ride the Tram on a given day, there will be two options to purchase access:
- Pre-purchased Tram Access Packs
- Enabling auto-charge on your pass or ticket to be charged on your form of payment when entering the access gate to load the Lone Peak Tram. "

Also:

"Autocharge access is expected to range between $20-$80 per day and will be priced based on factors like holidays and busy periods, similar to lift tickets."

I wonder if anyone that already bought an Ikon pass will have enough problem with this to ask for a refund? And will it be granted?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
News from Big Sky... except for the more expensive Big Sky season passes, most passes and tickets no longer include tram access. This includes all Ikon and MCP passes. Instead...

"To ride the Tram on a given day, there will be two options to purchase access:
- Pre-purchased Tram Access Packs
- Enabling auto-charge on your pass or ticket to be charged on your form of payment when entering the access gate to load the Lone Peak Tram. "

Also:

"Autocharge access is expected to range between $20-$80 per day and will be priced based on factors like holidays and busy periods, similar to lift tickets."

I wonder if anyone that already bought an Ikon pass will have enough problem with this to ask for a refund? And will it be granted?
I'm not really surprised. That has been a beef that some Big Sky and Jackson Hole passholders have had over the past few years
@BS Slarver may be able to explain better, but IIRC you have to have the Gold or Double Black pass to get Tram access(which are pricey), so people who paid that premium were irked that someone with a 900.00 IKON pass could have similar access. I kinda can't blame them.

Edit: I checked their site. Yup

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not really surprised. That has been a beef that some Big Sky and Jackson Hole passholders have had over the past few years
@BS Slarver may be able to explain better, but IIRC you have to have the Gold or Double Black pass to get Tram access(which are pricey), so people who paid that premium were irked that someone with a 900.00 IKON pass could have similar access. I kinda can't blame them.

Edit: I checked their site. Yup
Are you saying that they had season passes that didn't include tram access in prior years?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are you saying that they had season passes that didn't include tram access in prior years?
Yes. Only the top tier passes have had tram access for a while now.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The tram thing will work its way out one way or another, one can only hope for shorter lines, everywhere.
Not sure who will drop another $80 for 1 or maybe 2 laps or for that matter go for a scenic ride. Then again from what I’ve seen from vacation guests dropping thousands on lessons and entertainment, what the heck.

The other topic, will those who do pay at the gate and then get freaked at the top, are they more likely go because they paid up and possibly get injured ?
Big Sky is constantly tweaking and modifying their passes, the green is new and double black had unlimited tram last year.
Lucky for us, the working local, they offer a payment plan for any pass we are considering.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
News from Big Sky... except for the more expensive Big Sky season passes, most passes and tickets no longer include tram access. This includes all Ikon and MCP passes.
Ehhh... necessary but a bit slimey. In theory I'm outraged. In practice, I'd willingly pay an extra $80 on a few days to go to the peak without much wait. If I pay $80 and there is still a long line, then I'll be outraged in practice.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure who will drop another $80
The people who are paying 80 are those who are there during a holiday or busy time which means they'll likely splurge if its important.
On the other hand, if its a family vacation with little ones they may opt to not go up.
If I pay $80 and there is still a long line, then I'll be outraged in practice.
The announcement says $20-80 depending on busy times. With any luck it will be less than 80.00.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like a rip off to me, especially such things as no refund if scanned once and tram goes down.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This post is supposed to be a heads up to others, not a bitch session.

After doing some Mammoth trip planning for a couple of weeks with friends and family I just found out the hard way that the "Friends and Family" discounted lift tickets are not part of the Spring Skiing package. Seeing as I will mostly be at Epic resorts next season, if I had known that I probably wouldn't have purchased the pass. I was calculating those savings and they made it worthwhile.

Mammoth is looking back at the recording of my last conversation with a salesperson, but honestly I don't remember if we talked about it. Nobody ever mentioned it to me over the course of 3 phone calls to book lessons, plan the trip, etc.

I found the information on the FAQ page on Ikon Pass... doesn't mention it anywhere else where it talks about Friends and Family discounts (https://www.ikonpass.com/en/faq#Discounts&Perks). Oh well... guess I need to figure out how to get to Squaw-Alpine next season. The spring skiing part is a good enticement, just wish it included this.

Last edited:

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah I am afraid this is how resorts are going to continue to grow revenue. Sell "unlimited" skiing passes but charge for parking, first tracks, specific lifts, etc.
Its the principle of this that bugs me. So participating Ikon resort like Jackson and BS have "gotcha" clauses when you purchase Ikon. $150 more for the privilege of skiing at Jackson? More $ to ride the Tram at BS? So is it part of the program or only part of the program? I'm assuming the resort captures the extra fee if an Ikon purchaser ponies up for it? What's to stop every resort that participates from not making some part of their resort more exclusive/expensive and an Ikon purchaser has to throw more into the pot. This kind of starts to defeat the entire purpose of all access pass. Other resort I'm sure will follow suit.

Sponsor

Staff online