• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

21/22 Ikon Pass goes on sale 3/11/21

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The announcement says $20-80 depending on busy times. With any luck it will be less than 80.00.
But think about it.... when will the price max out? When there are too many people willing to pay! So the longest lines will happen when the price is the highest.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But think about it.... when will the price max out? When there are too many people willing to pay! So the longest lines will happen when the price is the highest.
That's a possibility, but it's more complicated than that. And it depends on whether or not the $80 is a deterrent, or just extra revenue when they know demand will be high. It seems like a steep price to me, so could be a deterrent, but I don't know.

Theoretically, if they got the pricing very flexible and just right, the line would always be about the same - assuming that's what they're going for.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a lot of different ways to think about it.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a sign of the times when everything becomes priced and charged out for.

You can take a look at airlines and flight industry to see where this is headed, where every little thing is an a la carte cost.
In purely economical terms, this should be a more efficient, it's shouldn't be thought of that you're being charged more, if you don't want it you are getting a "discount". Everyone is getting what they paid for. But we aren't all robot computers with unlimited cpu cycles to calculate and micromanage efficiency and valuations, so this leads to just human stress and frustration. Nobody wants to bring up their excel spreadsheet before each run to figure out if taking the next lift is worth $22.37.

On the flip side, I think all of this will go in cycles; when the industry dips too far and prices everything out and overwhelms the human customer; someone comes up with the bright idea of the all-inclusive resort again where you don't need to think about money and it's just 1 price.

Last edited:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Having only been to BS once and only rode the tram once I proberly would not pay the extra money. Yes Its interesting up there but there is IMO much better skiing elsewhere on the Mt. What really bothers me is more and more things are going the way of paying for privilege. I realize the second you buy a ticket or pass you are doing so. but now Its First Tram, Line cutting , and other perks that divide us more , even at the ski areas.

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier
I get that it's always in the fine print that things are subject to change, but if Big Sky is important to you as an Ikon Pass holder, then this is kind of a big deal. I bought my 21/22 passes a few weeks ago. We knew about the Jackson/Aspen restrictions before last year's passes went on sale, and we knew about Crystal's changes before this year's went on sale. I'm headed to Big Sky in 72 hours and would likely have gone again next year too. My frustration is that this wasn't announced before they started selling product and collecting money.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
This is a sign of the times when everything becomes priced and charged out for.

On the flip side, I think all of this will go in cycles; when the industry dips too far and prices everything out and overwhelms the human customer; someone comes up with the bright idea of the all-inclusive resort again where you don't need to think about money and it's just 1 price.

Both of these. But I don't think it's a win for the ski consumer because of the "well they've obviously got deep pockets cos they can afford to come here so we'll keep wringing them dry" factor. That will mean that there is a hell of a lot of margin built into the "incremental revenue opportunities". Maybe it's just me but I'd rather keep that margin in my pocket and pay for another ski trip with it.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
After doing some Mammoth trip planning for a couple of weeks with friends and family I just found out the hard way that the "Friends and Family" discounted lift tickets are not part of the Spring Skiing package. Seeing as I will mostly be at Epic resorts next season, if I had known that I probably wouldn't have purchased the pass. I was calculating those savings and they made it worthwhile.

FROM MAMMOTHS SITE:
Purchasing Friends & Family Tickets
Ikon Pass holders are encouraged to pre-purchase Friends & Family tickets in advance by calling 800.MAMMOTH. To do so, a pass holder must call to authorize the redemption of a Friends & Family ticket, and may either choose to complete the reservation at that time, or allow the ticket user to call at a later time to finalize the reservation. Once the reservation is confirmed, Ikon Pass holders do not need to be present at pick up. The ticket user must present photo ID at pick up.

@Dougb do you still need family and friends tickets ? Seems like anyone who has them can call in and reserve them for you, unlike other years when you had to be present together for the purchase.
Your welcome to my family stash if you need them..... we never use them.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I found the information on the FAQ page on Ikon Pass... doesn't mention it anywhere else where it talks about Friends and Family discounts (https://www.ikonpass.com/en/faq#Discounts&Perks).

@mdf mentioned above that when looking at the Squaw/Alpine info, it seemed like new information appeared. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the same happened to the Ikon FAQs. Out of curiosity, @Dougb, do you know whether the lodging discounts are applicable to new pass purchases for 21/22? I'm headed to Mammoth later this spring and deferred my 20/21 pass, so technically I have spring benefits on a 21/22 pass.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Both of these. But I don't think it's a win for the ski consumer because of the "well they've obviously got deep pockets cos they can afford to come here so we'll keep wringing them dry" factor. That will mean that there is a hell of a lot of margin built into the "incremental revenue opportunities". Maybe it's just me but I'd rather keep that margin in my pocket and pay for another ski trip with it.
The other problem is that most of us here are "over-consumers" of our pass benefits. If they slice things more finely, there is a good chance that the "typical" consumer will pay less and we will pay more.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@In2h2o: thank you for your offer but unfortunately we already purchased their tickets. I appreciate it!

@Pequenita: I’m not sure about lodging. It is disappointing because I talked with 3-4 people over the course of a month of planning, went over my options, and nobody ever mentioned it.

ZeeJM

Not available in any store.
Skier
Whoo hoo! Got an $8.00 credit from my Ikon Adventure Assurance. Now I can splurge and get the full, high dollar pass.
Same here. My son got $10. Anybody know the algorithm used to calculate these windfalls?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh... I wasn't expecting anything, but got $11.76.

There was some calculation of days places closed for COVID based on the Adventure Assurance resort selection... I didn't pick one, so got something for any resort closure. According to the website, I had:

Coverage: All Destinations
Purchase Price Paid: $799.00
Eligible Closure Days: 61
Calculated Percent Eligible: 1.47%

Apparently there were 61 days when a resort closed due to COVID. I wasn't expecting nearly that many - I wonder which resorts and days?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So now I'm confused. I only received the credit for my pass deferral. I did not receive any credit for other mountains being closed due to Covid. I didn't pick a single mountain and left that at the default, so I would have expected additional credit just like others have received. WTF?

Sponsor