• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

21/22 Ikon Pass goes on sale 3/11/21

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So to answer Rob’s question, and clarify for @Tricia, I am OK with Alterra owning Crystal.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still trying to find that resort that joined IKON where the local folks think it was a great idea/addition.
How about lesser of two evils? Big time. I think that's the feeling of many Copper and A-basin skiers.

I'm also grateful for the sizeable capital improvements that have gone into both areas. The new lifts and terrain expansions funded by IKON revenue are permanent. IKON, who knows?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've noticed a lot of stuff on social media about John and Kim Kircher moving to Big Sky for 1/2 the year and Hawaii for the other 1/2. I know they purchased Crystal from the Boyne Mountain Resorts a few years back, and only had a small memory of selling to Alterra.
Here is the story. https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article217924370.html
Good for them!
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 4.49.11 PM.png

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Sorry @David Chaus ! I get a bit unruly when locals start complaining about 'their' mountain being ruined by Ikon. I didn't mean it if I came across as critical of you; it wasn't my intent. And I missed the sarcasm :doh:
Besides we all know that that real the issue is not Ikon Pass holders , just the ones from Boston who decide to ski out West :roflmao:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Besides we all know that that real the issue is not Ikon Pass holders , just the ones from Boston who decide to ski out West :roflmao:

I wish I could come up with a defense for our behavior but the only thing I can come up with is this: at least we're not New Yorkers. ;) :wave:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey, I resemble that statement.
If you think New Yorkers are bad. Wait till you meet the folks from the "cool" state of California.

The definition of a "local" is someone that haven't gotten his/her s**t together enough to travel.
C'mon, most Californians are pretty good at giving out directions and traveling. Just ask Stuart, Devin, or Karina

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
It's not the change the bothers me, its the rate of change. ha ha

Todays hyper connected world amplifies the worry and anxiety people feel as well as fuel's the need for competitive businesses to push for faster change or at least the perception of it.
Individuals are seeing consolidated change and find it threatening. Before Epic/IKON was it perceived as a problem if two otherwise unconnected resorts added lifts?

IMO the ski industries public perception would benefit from focusing more on the individual mountain brands than the umbrella brand more similar to how hotel and restaurant conglomerates operate.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got an email about Ikon First Tracks:

New for 21/22 Ikon Pass holders, unlock untouched powder and crispy corduroy with free Ikon Pass First Tracks, once per month (January - March) at select destinations on designated days. Grab early morning laps before the lifts open to the public.

Yet another reason for local passholders to hate IKON skiers. I am looking forward to taking advantage of this though!

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^^ but most of these resorts are owned by Alterra and you have to have the IKON pass anyway to ski there (ie no local pass).
So this is nothing new where I ski, they always had early ups once a month for "pass holders" which are now IKON
Same hordes will show up for that extra hour as they did prior to Alterra /Ikon. Just marketing.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
If Ikon saves First Tracks for me, y'all can sleep in and still have time for the breakfast buffet.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Yet another reason for local passholders to hate IKON skiers. I am looking forward to taking advantage of this though!
One day a month a passholder gets an early chairlift load, but if it didn't snow overnight then it's not that big of a perk.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

I have overcome this problem by moving out West from Boston, so now I get to be a jaded local who complains about those Easterners flying here to go skiing* ;)

* in case it wasn't entirely clear, I am being sarcastic

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got our IKON passes for next season. The Valley Formerly Known as Squaw and Alpine are close. I'm localism. We also got our Mt. Rose passes. We ARE locals there and fear change! (Not really. I like it when they repaint the parking lot and fill in the holes. )

Sponsor