• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 21/22 Moment Wildcat 116 184 cm

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would be very interested to know if the 190 is much stiffer or have a different construction.
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG

Dunno, beyond the specs on Blister over the years, and feel of the skis at different mount points. Sorry.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. These skis are all held to the wall by buttonskirack buttons, all holding the tow piece at the same level.
(But sometimes they slip, as the ski in front is held only by the brakes to the one behind it. The Bibby Pro 190s have slipped.)
The Bibby Pro 190 mount (Schizos) is a work in progress.

The second pic shows most of my other favorite powder skis also (at least of the ones I happen to own currently), including two of the tank crud busters.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you would like the cb.

Mount them back if you have a more traditional style.

I've had a dozen days on 186 CB. They're mounted with pins, and although they're a bit of a chore on the uptrack, they're a lot of fun in the alpine or in nicely spaced trees. I'm planning on putting pivots on them next season though. I ski in a lot of tight spaces in the backcountry, and these are best with a bit of speed.

The deathwish (I have about 30 days on the tour and a lot of days between two pairs of the resort weight version) is not a charger, but it's very good in trees and kicking Horse chutes. It's my favorite ski, but definitely on the playful side of the spectrum.

In my quiver, it fits between the cb and the commander tour and salomon mnt 95 for touring and the billygoat and mantra 102 for resorts. Different than the others, but a lot of fun!

Back on topic:

My partner skis on the 179 wildcat and 174 wildcat tour. She also has a semi retired 174 first gen (the light one) wildcat.The heavier, longer cat is a charger for her (5'7" 135 lbs) but it seems to suit her style. It seems like the old bibby/new cat construction is a winner.

I would like to try a 184 Wildcat one day. Liz is a huge fan.

We'll be skiing fernie tomorrow with 40 cm or more of fresh. Liz will be on the wildcats.
Wow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
P.S. These skis are all held to the wall by buttonskirack buttons, all holding the tow piece at the same level.
(But sometimes they slip, as the ski in front is held only by the brakes to the one behind it. The Bibby Pro 190s have slipped.)
The Bibby Pro 190 mount (Schizos) is a work in progress.

The second pic shows most of my other favorite powder skis also (at least of the ones I happen to own currently), including two of the tank crud busters.

The mount point on the Moment skis I feel is about a bit too far forward for my taste in general. That said the 190cm Deathwish felt really good on the factory point although I still felt like I had too much tail to lug around behind the bindings on steep terrain. Tails go hung up really easily in the steeps. Some of it it is skill but the other part is just physics. I did not feel comfortable mounting the Deathwish 3cm to the rear of the factory point due to the tripple camber design. I did not want to mess up the handling of the skis. Anyone try that?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
190cm is very similar flex(hair stiffer maybe but it’s very close) to the 184cm version but will feel like “more ski” because of the added weight, 2mm extra width and the longer turning radius. Same construction.

Didn’t find it was tough going from the 184cm Bibby(which should be the same weight as the 22 Wildcat) to the 190cm 21 Wildcat which just lacks the new thicker plastic spacers tip/tail added about 50gr. Find the float improved of course and that you can drive the ski more in fresh snow. Needs more speed for carving with the longer turn radius but stability is fantastic.

Hope to get more days on mine and on the 190cm 21 CT 3.0 for comparison.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
due to the tripple camber design
I've been curious to try a triple camber versus the same ski with a traditional camber and see if there's any difference. I doubt Moment will make a one-off just to feed my curiosity!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Blister’s thoughts on moving the mount on the Deathwish.

“But I know there are lots of more directional skiers interested in the Deathwish, so I also tried it with the bindings around -6 cm from true center. At -6, I could drive the Deathwish slightly harder through the shovels, but it was a pretty minor difference. And regarding the tails in tight terrain, I didn’t notice the ski feeling more forgiving, which I think is due to the fact that I was noticing the camber pocket behind the bindings digging into the snow when I got backseat, rather than the overall stiffness and length of the tail.

Given the unusual rocker profile of the Deathwish and the fact that the locations of its camber pockets are designed around its recommended mount point, I’d be hesitant to move it several cm’s away from that recommended line.”

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
skied the 108 WC today,, we got a surprise 8". It was a good day for a comparison, So the new WC 116, is a little more damp/quiet but in the powder in the trees you really notice the width more than anything else. I could have easily skied the WC116 today. the 108 is still a better choice for those 4-6" days though. It is much easier going on the open groomers when traveling or connecting through. I also cant say I noticed any real differences (there is a slight difference with the -7mm from the factory on the WC108) between the mount points on the 2 skis. I Love both :ogbiggrin:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Uggh! :nono: Same problem as @Truberski but I pulled the trigger anyway on the 184 Wildcats in hopes that one day I can move back out west again or nail one of the few fleeting Nor'Easters that don't decide to hit Tennessee, Virginia or New Jersey instead.:doh: I'll move back once they solve their water issues out there! West..." Liquors' for drinkin, waters' for fightn' "

@Ron... The 116's are not bad for a Skinny ski!!! LOL :beercheer: I mounted them up w/ Schizo's like @ski otter 2 to see if I could make them a bit more turny for tight Vermont trees. I have yet to use them... no real deep storms up here in a LONG time.

( Volkl Kuros 131 underfoot insanity - only used 5x in 10yrs! - desperately waiting for my crypto accounts to hit so I can plan that Heli trip to Alaska!!! Ha ha ha )

Attachments

• 20220109_075953.jpg
    20220109_075953.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Uggh! :nono: Same problem as @Truberski but I pulled the trigger anyway on the 184 Wildcats in hopes that one day I can move back out west again or nail one of the few fleeting Nor'Easters that don't decide to hit Tennessee, Virginia or New Jersey instead.:doh: I'll move back once they solve their water issues out there! West..." Liquors' for drinkin, waters' for fightn' "

@Ron... The 116's are not bad for a Skinny ski!!! LOL :beercheer: I mounted them up w/ Schizo's like @ski otter 2 to see if I could make them a bit more turny for tight Vermont trees. I have yet to use them... no real deep storms up here in a LONG time.

( Volkl Kuros 131 underfoot insanity - only used 5x in 10yrs! - desperately waiting for my crypto accounts to hit so I can plan that Heli trip to Alaska!!! Ha ha ha )
As long as one‘s schedule is “flexible” you can get at least two days per season in Vermont where those will be the perfect ski. The December 2020 40” storm comes to mind. Keep the hope alive!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope you bring your A game...

So there's another game?

Do tell! :eek:

Seriously, while I don't ski near the number of skis guys like you and @Ron manage to, I've never met a forward-mounted pow-focussed ski that I liked.

My sweet spot seems to be a classic-style ski that isn't overly chargy (hey, I had those years!), and it's currently filled so well by the Mindbender 108 that I'm probably set for quite some time.

Hard to turn the ski "collector" gene off, though!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
just for the record, own 5 pairs of skis, and ski them all

Not intending to sling any shite, Ron.

IIRC you also get out on more than a few Ski Talk demo and test skis every season, or do I have that wrong?

I'd love that opportunity..... :ogbiggrin:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I haven't been any this season other than my own Wildcats and my own AM85.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
skied the 108 WC today,, we got a surprise 8". It was a good day for a comparison, So the new WC 116, is a little more damp/quiet but in the powder in the trees you really notice the width more than anything else. I could have easily skied the WC116 today. the 108 is still a better choice for those 4-6" days though. It is much easier going on the open groomers when traveling or connecting through. I also cant say I noticed any real differences (there is a slight difference with the -7mm from the factory on the WC108) between the mount points on the 2 skis. I Love both :ogbiggrin:

I find that I need to move the bindings 2 or 3cm to notice any real change in ski feel/performance. I really cant notice 1cm changes. I m not sensitive or good enough :roflmao:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I've been curious to try a triple camber versus the same ski with a traditional camber and see if there's any difference. I doubt Moment will make a one-off just to feed my curiosity!

You can feel the tripple camber extra contact points (in the Deathwish) in firm snow. It feels rougher, more grabby so you dont have to be as aggressive to get edge grip. I felt I needed to adjust my ski style a bit. You can ski more centered and "relaxed" since the grip is there more readily available when you need it. That said like I mentioned there is a lot of tail behind you so in bumps or soft snow in steep terrain the tails can be draggy and dig in unless you are going very fast then none of that matters. The Wildcats are more traditional feeling (rocker-low camber-rocker). Still, I feel moving the mount point back will provide a bit better balance and easy in bumps and tight terrain plus more support in the front end, at least at my size and skiing ability.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The Wildcats are more traditional feeling (rocker-low camber-rocker). Still, I feel moving the mount point back will provide a bit better balance and easy in bumps and tight terrain plus more support in the front end, at least at my size and skiing ability.
if you are skiing the WC's I trees and bumps, I dont recommend moving the mount point back ore than 1cm, it will affect the way the ski was designed to work in conjunction with the camber.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is a pair of '18 Moment Bibby Pros 190/118 plus Sth2-13 bindings for sale on Ebay, seemingly very lightly used, starting bid $500 (cheap). For a medium-sized to bigger guy, it's a top playful charger, and noticably damper and more of a charger (playful), than the current Wildcats (unless this year's version is really different/an improvement). These come up rarely, especially in such unused condition. (I already have a pair, or I'd bid.)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Bibby Pro 184 is a ski I found I liked best at rec. mount point, and that movement of mount point on this particular ski was not a big deal, not important. The ski seems designed for that mount point, roughly. I can't remember if I ended up at the rec. line, but I think I did. (With the 190, I did find 1-2 cm forward helped, since I'm a lighter weight guy, only 5'10" tall, and that ski seems best for someone a bit larger at least.)

Not sure if a similar pattern fits the Wildcat 116/118s, but probably does.

On another note,
that Bibby Pro 190 pair for sale on ebay is still there, no bids, starting price $475 plus shipping. (Auction ends earlyish tomorrow morning.)
Image 1 - 2018 Moment Bibby 190cm/ W sth2-13

I already own a pair from the previous year, and it likes a bit too much speed for me these days (whereas the 184 does not).

Sponsor

Staff online