• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored 21-22 Ripstick blacks in the powder

https://www.skiessentials.com/

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Read and watched all the Essentials Ripstick/Black reviews. I have a pair of 19-20 reg green 96's and am wondering about new blacks in the powder. As an all mt. ski how are they in the 4-6-8-10 inch days and in the open areas and in the trees? Very few comments on off piste characteristics. Love my greenies inthe powder and trees. Like the reviews etc. but are they bettter in the "variable snow and powder of different depths" ?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pete, IMO I would be eyeing the RS 106s, black or last years regular for what your looking for.
I haven’t been on the ‘22 version but since the major overhaul 4-5 years back, the collection as a whole seams to be small tweaks, not a huge pendulum swing like some brands.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree with @BS Slarver that you should consider the wider 106 if you see lots of powder. The Black 96(either the old or new) doesn’t really change sidecut etc, so float won’t be improved but the Blacks will feel more damp in variable snow vs your current Ripsticks.

If I were you, I’d get one pair of the current 96 and 106 Blacks on deals(almost the same as one pair of the 2022 Blacks) which would give you an improvement over your current 96s and a big jump up in float and powder performance if you get new snow on the 106 Black.

Your existing ripsticks would sell quickly used and lots of binding deals right now on matching Attacks 13 with the new Attack 14 GW and 17 GW bindings coming next year.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks guys, 106 probably great but have some Praxis Protests for powder over 8-12 inches. Most of the variable 2-5 in days ski my 96's. So basically GregK 96 black ski powder good just a little damper than the greenies ? Same float in powder just a little better in variable????

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
So basically GregK 96 black ski powder good just a little damper than the greenies ? Same float in powder just a little better in variable????

Correct. The dimensions and shape aren’t any different than yours, it’s just the materials used inside the ski that are different. So untracked powder performance would be the most similar(why you probably aren’t seeing much info on that) and why you’d notice more differences in the damper, stiffer cores on groomers and when things get roughed up.

No skis in between the 96 and Protest though? Could use use the 106 for “a bit of snow” days, Spring afternoons and the days after the big storm when you use the Protests.

Sponsor

Staff online