• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

21.5 Womens ski boot

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If her ankle and leg do not fit in her current kids 21.5 boot (kid's boots tend to be amorphous) why do you think it will fit in an adult 21.5 performance boot? The heel/ ankle/ calf areas will be much more structured and fitted, not more roomy. I think you are looking down the wrong rabbit hole, a 22 will give tons of options in a more recreational fit that will accomodate a "muscular ankle".
To this point, most junior non race boots as Mike says are unisex and err to being very generous in volume. And to Mikes point. a 21 mightbe here correct size but a 22 might be her right size especially if we are dealing with a larger VAMP, ankle

See this post...

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I know you've been to Skis and Bikes, but Cam Watson at the Skis and Bikes in Colllingwood comes highly recommended. A know a guy that works at Sporting Life in Aurora and he said, no boots in his store at that size.

Good luck, keep searching.

TS
E

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
I have done some calling around the GTA. Inventory is scattered and sparce. For example, Sporting life has a few options with nothing in stock in Toronto but can be ordered in from other stores. Same for Skis and Bikes. Corbett's says they have a few options. We will try Corbett's this weekend and explore some the other options if needed. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
I'm heading to Ottawa next weekend and will be seeing some of the industry reps. I'll ask for you. Not sure about Lange. Atomic doesn't do this show. Salomon, Nordica, Head, Tecnica for sure.

After that I'm hopefully off to Tremblant for a boot fit!

TS
E

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
Update. Not much further progress this weekend. Last week my daughter was fit into a Dalbello Panterra 75, 22.5. This boot is long; however, the boot fitter is relatively confident he can stabilize her heel.
She has now tried most of the suggested Junior race boots in 21.5: Lange RX70, Rossignol, and a Dalbello DRS 75. The VAMP angle is not the issue, however the width from back of calf to the front of the shin is the issue. These junior race boots all seem to be built for a skinny ankle and the liner does not wrap properly around her leg creating pressure points on the shin and gaps on the medial and lateral aspects of the leg.

We will keep an eye on options; however, it seems like ideally, we are looking for a women's 21.5, not a junior 21.5. The theme is the junior boots do not have the space in the ankle/calf for her. I have also called around Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY, the women's sizes in that areas start at 22.5 and 23.5. Therefore no differences from here.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
eric100,

Philpug gave you the correct answers to your question in his first 2 posts. Go back and read them. The longer you wait the further away from a solution you will be. I say this because there are only a few choices of true 21.5 models available. Once they are built and shipped to the retailers that ordered them, that is all there is. Including in the "fantasy" small boot market in Japan.

Lange RS70, 90, or 110 is the only boot you will find in any retailer that comes in a true 21.5, and is of a design that can be modified for fit and flex change. For every hour that you delay finding those boots another couple are being sold. If Canada does not have them which I suspect is not true, there are a handful of shops like Mud, Sweat and Gears in Ellicotvile, and Starthaus in Truckee that have those boots in stock. Then find a good boot fitter in the Toronto area that will compete the process.

Do this for your daughter the minute you read this thread.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Update. Not much further progress this weekend. Last week my daughter was fit into a Dalbello Panterra 75, 22.5. This boot is long; however, the boot fitter is relatively confident he can stabilize her heel.
She has now tried most of the suggested Junior race boots in 21.5: Lange RX70, Rossignol, and a Dalbello DRS 75. The VAMP angle is not the issue, however the width from back of calf to the front of the shin is the issue. These junior race boots all seem to be built for a skinny ankle and the liner does not wrap properly around her leg creating pressure points on the shin and gaps on the medial and lateral aspects of the leg.

We will keep an eye on options; however, it seems like ideally, we are looking for a women's 21.5, not a junior 21.5. The theme is the junior boots do not have the space in the ankle/calf for her. I have also called around Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY, the women's sizes in that areas start at 22.5 and 23.5. Therefore no differences from here.

Your daughter is 14 years old. I believe she would still fit better with the junior boots.
I don't know why you think the adult boots would be an ideal option for your daughter because still many of the racing kids in your daughter's age are in junior boots.

In the ski boots world, there's no perfect fit right out of the box.
This boots fits relatively better than that one but this still needs some adjustment.
I am not a fitter but I believe what you are describing is an very fittable issue by an any reputable boot fitter.
For instance, you can simply eliminate the spoiler to make a room for calf and move the top buckle position a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
E

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
eric100,

Philpug gave you the correct answers to your question in his first 2 posts. Go back and read them. The longer you wait the further away from a solution you will be. I say this because there are only a few choices of true 21.5 models available. Once they are built and shipped to the retailers that ordered them, that is all there is. Including in the "fantasy" small boot market in Japan.

Lange RS70, 90, or 110 is the only boot you will find in any retailer that comes in a true 21.5, and is of a design that can be modified for fit and flex change. For every hour that you delay finding those boots another couple are being sold. If Canada does not have them which I suspect is not true, there are a handful of shops like Mud, Sweat and Gears in Ellicotvile, and Starthaus in Truckee that have those boots in stock. Then find a good boot fitter in the Toronto area that will compete the process.

Do this for your daughter the minute you read this thread.
Yesterday she was at Corbette's ski shop with a good boot fitter and tried the Lange RS70 SC 21.5 and it does not fit her ankle and calf. The tongue of the liner does not align properly with the rest of the liner. There is too much gap between them. All the pressure comes across the tongue in a tight band. It was tried with and without a heal lift. 2 different boot fitters in 2 different shops have tried variations of this boot (lange and rossi) on her and agree it does not fit. Therefore, I need to find some other solution.

TS
E

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm heading to Ottawa next weekend and will be seeing some of the industry reps. I'll ask for you. Not sure about Lange. Atomic doesn't do this show. Salomon, Nordica, Head, Tecnica for sure.

After that I'm hopefully off to Tremblant for a boot fit!
@Jilly Did you end up having the opportunity to talk to any of the industry reps in Ottawa regarding the 21.5 size? Thanks

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Only Head and Nordica/Techinca there. Head rep more excited that I was with Noah Porter-McLennan's mother. Noah won Silver at Big Chur on Head skis.

Camp Fortune only had Head and Rossi boots for sale. All the left overs from last year.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
The tongue of the liner does not align properly with the rest of the liner. There is too much gap between them.
I get you on the liner gap. It can be pretty uncomfortable to buckle up and get your leg pinched between the tongue and liner sides. Have you considered an aftermarket wrap liner? Intuition starts at 22, but they do whole sizes, and for many models they suggest sizing up. So for a 21.5 boot you would get a 22 liner.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Liz and I purchased out boots from Pulse in Banff. Liz's fit situation (long tibia, short, narrow feet) was a bit challenging and we were happy with the service. They have a store in Collingwood. It might be worth giving them a call to see if they can help with your daughter's fit.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
if the lange doesnt work the only other two options in 21.5 are the atomic CS and the dalbello. pretty sure that is the only brands making an adult norm boot in 21.5

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dalbello does not clearly state size range and I have therefore emailed them. The shop I have been working with sells all three of these lines and according lead fitter who spoke to the reps, he is not aware of availability smaller than 22.5. Very frustrating....
Were you able to find out anything more about Dalbello options? If the race boots are not working, the only other boot that hasn't been discussed is the Dalbello Chakra. I am also wondering if the cabrio shell would solve the issues you mention about her calf?

"Testers make note that this boot comes in a rare and miniscule 21.5, so ultra-petite rippers should put this on their short list."

Here is an older model with 90 flex available at a Canadian shop. https://www.skiwest.ca/dalbello-chakra-ax-90-2021-womens.html

The current model is 115 or 95

I'd call Skiwest and ask what the BSL is.... from what I can tell it was 262 in prior years.....

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid