• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

22-23 - New Atomic Bindings for DIN 24/30?

Petrus

Putting on skis
Skier
Probably a stupid question (apologies in advance :) )

I would imagine a COMP16 also has the same screw pattern, correct?

Is there a 1 to 1 correspondence between the Marker values and the DIN standard? Are they using a different scale?
I'm not very familiar with Marker bindings and they seem to be the only manufacturer "off the charts" with the binding resistance values.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Probably a stupid question (apologies in advance :) )

I would imagine a COMP16 also has the same screw pattern, correct?

Is there a 1 to 1 correspondence between the Marker values and the DIN standard? Are they using a different scale?
I'm not very familiar with Marker bindings and they seem to be the only manufacturer "off the charts" with the binding resistance values.
comp and xcomp have the same hole pattern.

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
I had some Icon 24’s mounted on some G9’s and skied them first time yesterday. I don’t know how revolutionary, evolutionary, technically advanced they are, but getting into and out of them they feel very slick in a nuanced way. When you mess around with them, they don’t feel like the minimum setting is 14. The other interesting thing I noticed is that when I tried to get the ski tech guy mounting them to set them up 1 cm forward, using the existing hole pattern we could barely get .5cm forward. The old x vars had the 4 positions. I wonder what they are doing on WC to get a forward mount. Maybe just mounting the whole plate forward? although would that effect the inherent flex pattern of the ski? Inquiring minds want to know. The set up skied great on the limited terrain available because inanely bad visibility at Cannon Mt.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A little late to this thread, but one thing that I have learned DIN is used to determine release values under a very specific test, no more no less. What doesn't do is determine retention in actual use, more on this later.

Additionally different binding designs (ie internals) load forces differently so while they test the same they do not perform the same. Any car nut should understand this as same wt, displacement, and hp in cars are not equal in 1/4 mile times, top end or lap times.

Hence, manufactures "cheat" by creating race bindings that have values that far exceed what should be possibly required, wait for it......RETENTION. As a comparison example Look has up to DIN 18 vs Atomic DIN 30. In real life applications (ie racing) a Look might be set for 14 vs an Atomic for 22 (just picking numbers for an example so no nasty comments) to have similar retention performance. In everyday skiing this value would be 8 or 9 for both as release becomes the determining factor.

So is DIN a good indicator of what to set? yes and no. It gives an excellent starting (and set) point for 90% of skiers out there, the other 10% (you know who you are 3 and up's) realize the risk at high values along with the requirement for more retention vs release as you understand the dangers of early release. The rest stick with the recommended and don't wonder why these insane DIN's are needed, leave that to the few of us that truly have the need (and don't play by the rules anyway ogwink).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The old x vars had the 4 positions. I wonder what they are doing on WC to get a forward mount. Maybe just mounting the whole plate forward?
My gut is they concluded it was unnecessary.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
The other interesting thing I noticed is that when I tried to get the ski tech guy mounting them to set them up 1 cm forward, using the existing hole pattern we could barely get .5cm forward. The old x vars had the 4 positions. I wonder what they are doing on WC to get a forward mount. Maybe just mounting the whole plate forward? although would that effect the inherent flex pattern of the ski? Inquiring minds want to know. The set up skied great on the limited terrain available because inanely bad visibility at Cannon Mt.
You must have either very large, or very small feet. I would need to pull my bindings to check the exact numbers, but if I remember correctly, a BSL around 285 to 335 should put you on the middle set of holes and give you 10mm of adjustment forward and rearward. For WC skiers, I would assume they receive the skis flat, and then mount the plate exactly where the athlete wants it. The effect on ski flex with different plate positions should be absolutely negligible as plates are specifically designed to let the ski flex more evenly.

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
I have Dobermann gp 140’s and Head Raptor 140 pro’s in a 28.5 with a 325 bsl. Skied the Atomic g9’s with the set up today and they felt spot on today on a nice firm NE surface. Definitely would not need them any more forward for me, but I agree with you that I thought there would be more flexibility to move the location around. These are the skis.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 42

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
This binding has been in development for years - only now is it being openly acknowledged by Atomic and Salomon as an actual catalog item.

But as they say: if you need this binding Atomic/Salomon will find you. In other words: it'll go to their top sponsored alpine racers and given the DIN range will certainly not be available to mere mortals.
Well, this turned out to be wrong!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are DIN numbers based on a spec or a standard? Is a 10 DIN on any binding the same as opposed to the 130 boot flex numbers from brand to brand?
Yes they are a stardard. DIN means German Institute for Norms. The correct term these days would be ISO, but sports people like to stick to the past (see bicycle tire sizes named after an ancient french system that used brakes on the tire!)

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
When it was posted. It was accurate. Now along with the. 24 and 30 RS models there are 12 and 16 RS along with 10 and 12 GW versions.
Yep 24 & 30 are available on the web at many sites. My older boy just bought a pair of 24's to go on his new GS 9 RS 190 27.5 M I have X binding and plate on my 183 24M

Sponsor

Staff online