• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

22-23 - New Atomic Bindings for DIN 24/30?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Numbers? We don't need no stinking numbers!!
Are DIN numbers based on a spec or a standard? Is a 10 DIN on any binding the same as opposed to the 130 boot flex numbers from brand to brand?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have no own real experience with Marker race, but doesn’t they have a ’weird’ scale that is higher? Not like Look or Tyrolia.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are DIN numbers based on a spec or a standard? Is a 10 DIN on any binding the same as opposed to the 130 boot flex numbers from brand to brand?
Tecnically they are not DIN but ISO standards but yes, in a bench test, 10 is 10 is a 10. I was told this at one point, be it accurate or not but supposed testing with done that the forces that a male racer puts on a binding equates to around what a 14 would be. True or not, I cannot confirm but it came from someone extremely knowledgeable about bindings.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm sure that "hard easy coast snow" and Sunday racers are special, but guys on WC, at similar weight, and with just slightly more aggressive skiing at just slightly higher speed (I doubt many sunday racers bomb down tracks similar to Kitz at 150+km/h), and on ice that most likely is nothing compared to "hard east coast snow" have bindings set to less on their race skis ;)

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm sure that "hard easy coast snow" and Sunday racers are special, but guys on WC, at similar weight, and with just slightly more aggressive skiing at just slightly higher speed (I doubt many sunday racers bomb down tracks similar to Kitz at 150+km/h), and on ice that most likely is nothing compared to "hard east coast snow" have bindings set to less on their race skis ;)
Right, that is why I need higher DIN, I am a choppier skier...those guys are better and smoother and can get away with lower DIN. ;) The binding doesn't know the talent of the skier, it only feels forces and reacts accordingly.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Idk here….. I frequently end up helping racer clients out by bartering skis for services. Oddly, sub 25 point racers tend to have their DIN lower than most Masters skiers. Equally if not odder, I skied with a 70 year old coach this spring who was on the new Icon & he indicated that “it’s really a different scale…”. Wicked plugged in coach, so I’m guessing there’s an aftermarket spring kit available.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Right, that is why I need higher DIN, I am a choppier skier...those guys are better and smoother and can get away with lower DIN. ;) The binding doesn't know the talent of the skier, it only feels forces and reacts accordingly.
I know and absolutely agree forces in recreational racing are way higher then on WC.

:roflmao:

PS: Don't get me wrong, I really don't care how you guys have your bindings set. It's fine with me to whatever you set them, so no problem here.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
This was just a training run of the Downhill in Bormio a few seasons ago. But when you imagine these skiers landing in grooves on pure ice at such speeds, you'ld want their bindings to really keep those skis on their feet...

arkay

Booting up
Skier
A downhill ski exploding

NINTCHDBPICT000631954733.jpg

ecb9da3ec9d795f5de5b16f51ca2bbc5
That is just nuts. I've seen the delam in race videos. Just crazy amount of force I guess.

arkay

Booting up
Skier
On my race skis I generally have DIN set at ~16-18, at that point, popping up another few clicks is grey vs gray.

FWIW, I am 6'1, ~185, then throw in all the gear and my bindings feel ~200+ lb worth of skier knocking them into hard, east coast snow.
Mine are set at 7. I'm thin and not that heavy. Have never felt the binding was going to release. Maybe I need to apply more force in the turns!

James

Out There
Instructor
When I asked about them I learned that they had been attached to Chad Fleischer when he crashed off the finish jump at Kitzbuhel.
One of the great stories in racing-

“I knew I was going to win the race.”

I’d say if they went out there with screwguns, it was to get him out of the binding. How are you going to get the binding off an injured leg with no ski attached?

Last edited:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier

"That's when I ripped my knee apart and shoved my femur up into my hip..."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I’d say if they went out there with screwguns, it was to get him out of the binding. How are you going to get the binding off an injured leg with no ski attached?
He has what looks like 997's on the skis, the highest I have seen these were 14-20's. Correct?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've walked out of a Salomon heel set at 15.5, on a 9-16 binding.

It was clearly the binding's fault and not my fault for leaning in while hitting a hole (which had been mentioned in the course report) at 45 MPH.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
The one on the left in the original post’s picture looks like the Marker M20. I’ve horded that binding throughout the years.
Great binding and easy to use. That said, things are a bit easier with Volkl and Blizzard.

Sponsor