• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

22/23 Salomon Strive Binding

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Any more detail on what modification/improvements allow this to accommodate GW and non GW lugs better? Does the AFD do something special or is it more in concert with the claw/wings too?

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Any more detail on what modification/improvements allow this to accommodate GW and non GW lugs better? Does the AFD do something special or is it more in concert with the claw/wings too?
There's literally nothing special about this binding in this regard - all GW labeled bindings from all binding manufacturers work this way. It's the shape of the binding AFD and boot AFD/sole following the GripWalk dimensions.

What is perhaps confusing is the distinction between GW bindings and MNC bindings - the former allows for automatic compatibility between Alpine & GripWalk boot soles whereas the latter is manual adjustment for Alpine or GripWalk or Touring Normed boots.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Once we got a clear standard with GripWalk and it's own ISO 23223. Manufacturers were able to produce an AFD that will accomodate both DIN and GW without need for adjustment as @onenerdykid said above. This is not unique to Salomon, the three other majors are also doing this.

John Y

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
What would you recommend for Stockli laser AR and SR102? Strive 13 demo or Warden 13 mnc demo? TIA

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What would you recommend for Stockli laser AR and SR102? Strive 13 demo or Warden 13 mnc demo? TIA
Strive 13 demo on both ... if you must have a demo, if not the regular Strive 14.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Can you explain how a triple pivot heel works and what it’s advantages/disadvantages are?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
300 grams down from Wardens, is that correct? :geek: :geek:

Not a big fan of how the Wardens look, although love their performance and on the other hand-love the look of the STH2.

So quite naturally-quite like the Strive.

Sounds good.
Not sure I buy the weight statements if you’re not spinning. People really are complaining about the weight of a Pivot 15/18? It’s what, 1245gm x 2?

Sth2 13 - 1145gm
Sth2 16 - 1222gm

So 60% those for the Strive would put them at
about 690 and 735gms

That type of extreme weight difference could matter.

specs on pg 18

Warden 11 MNC 995g & Warden 13 MNC 1132g per 1/2 pair

Strive 14 GW 980g & Strive 16 GW 1110g per 1/2 pair

STH2 MNC 16 1240g per 1/2 pair

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wondering, does the Strive toe piece release diagonally and or vertically upward (like a Pivot 12/14 and STH2 driver toe) or does it only release left and right horizontally?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will the Strive and Strive Demo require new mounting jigs ?
Are the brakes new too, or compatible with say the Sth2 / Warden 13

FYI: I see ColoradoDiscountSkis as the Strive 13 Demo on for $249

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you explain how a triple pivot heel works and what it’s advantages/disadvantages are?
It is the same as the other multi pivot pivot heels.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the info Phil. I did read that initial post as I don't want to be that "lazy guy" who doesn't do his own homework, but I missed that line:

For the Retailer:
For those in the industry wondering what mounting templates you will need, the Strives use the current templates that you very well already have. :thumb:

I just ordered 2 of the Strive 13 Demos with 100 Brake as I may as well have a spare on hand in case of a ski buying emergency ! And just ordered 2023 Mindbender 99ti 184 to go with one of the Strives. I was initially leaning towards the 178 but thought I'd give a longer ski a go again, considering the revised 2023 has a bit softer tail and a bit longer rocker lines.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I now have on hand some new Strive 13 Demo with 100 brake, and new Warden 13 MNC Demo with 115 brake.
Thought I'd weigh the pieces and take some pics for interests sake.

Of Note:

The Warden Demo and Strive Demo use a different mounting pattern.
The Strive's attached mounting instruction paper looks like it uses a common Salomon Jig.

Neither the Warden nor Strive toe-track has a floating screw ( this is typical I think ).
However the Warden heel-track does have a floating screw, while the Strive heel-track does not have a floating screw.

The Warden toe track has a 2mm ABS plate under its metal track, while the Strive toe track does not have any plate under its metal track.
Other than for that 2mm ABS plate, the height of both Warden and Strive toe-tracks is essentially the same.

The Strive's heel-track is lower than the Warden.

Weights are below, which includes the screws, and shows that the Strive is about 350g lighter per pair.

FRONTREARTOEHEELTOTALTOTAL
TrackTrack+ brakesingleboth
Warden 13 MNC Demo
157​
174​
393​
649​
1373​
2746​
with 115 brake
Strive 13 Demo
135​
118​
359​
586​
1198​
2396​
with 100 brake

IMG_0254.JPEG

IMG_0258.JPEG

IMG_0243.JPEG

IMG_0246.JPEG

IMG_0249.JPEG

IMG_0253.JPEG

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like Strive will be good for spring snow with that low toe.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, a longitudinal spring is certainly more "visually elegant" up front :thumb:

jetwolverine

Booting up
Skier
I now have on hand some new Strive 13 Demo with 100 brake, and new Warden 13 MNC Demo with 115 brake.
Thought I'd weigh the pieces and take some pics for interests sake.

Of Note:

The Warden Demo and Strive Demo use a different mounting pattern.
The Strive's attached mounting instruction paper looks like it uses a common Salomon Jig.

Neither the Warden nor Strive toe-track has a floating screw ( this is typical I think ).
However the Warden heel-track does have a floating screw, while the Strive heel-track does not have a floating screw.

The Warden toe track has a 2mm ABS plate under its metal track, while the Strive toe track does not have any plate under its metal track.
Other than for that 2mm ABS plate, the height of both Warden and Strive toe-tracks is essentially the same.

The Strive's heel-track is lower than the Warden.

Weights are below, which includes the screws, and shows that the Strive is about 350g lighter per pair.

FRONTREARTOEHEELTOTALTOTAL
TrackTrack+ brakesingleboth
Warden 13 MNC Demo
157​
174​
393​
649​
1373​
2746​
with 115 brake
Strive 13 Demo
135​
118​
359​
586​
1198​
2396​
with 100 brake

View attachment 167080

View attachment 167081
View attachment 167083
View attachment 167084
View attachment 167085
View attachment 167086
Thanks for the update! I was hoping that the new Strive demos would have the same mounting pattern as the Warden 13s so I can just remount using the same holes. So the non-demo Strive 14 and 16 follow the same pattern as the Sth2’s?

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Ford once sold a little car named the “Aspire”. For up and coming first car owners I guess..

meanwhile

I might wait for a Dark Blue or Gold version of this new “Strive” binding.

How about:
The “Strive 555” and “Strive 555 Equipe” ?

:)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid