• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Gear Previews, including TYOTB (the year of the BOA)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While we are under embargo with brands it doesn't mean there are not leaked pictures out there and since they are, I see no reason why they cannot be shared here. With testing and development being slowed by covid from 19-21 manufacturers are starting to get their backlog of new gear to the market. I will say that on the boot side, BOA is the word and it is one of the worst kept secrets out there that we will see many BOA closure systems for this coming season with names like Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon integrating it in their collections. There are binding rumors I am hearing but I have to respect the confidence of my sources. And of course, many many new skis next year. So get that popcorn out and keep an eye here.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That is too bad on BOA. As someone who as avid snowboarder in family, she is very disappointed with the lack of good non-BOA boots.

BOA being used for the liners on ski boots?

Nevermind, I searched. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm all for boot makers trying new ideas to innovate. If BOA works, great.

No reason for cycling shoes to have all the fun.

If it doesn't then no big deal.

Other than new generations not being able to hack laces in addition to not having handwriting or reading dial clocks ...oh wait, that's already true :D

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
BOA gloves??
I'll get interested when they come up with a knob-less BOA, that can be incorporated into clothing ---- or is that a fighter pilot's G suit?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BOA gloves??
1670776112214.png

https://LEKI-store.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=71414

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like all things BOA-cycling shoes first and foremost so looking forward to this. The THICC plastic of the Redsters will surely give BOA something to think about… :roflmao:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An all boa cuff would be cool. Probably needs two spools, but maybe one is enough. Add some little capstan bars for increased torque. What if it could also eliminate the strap?

Speaking of which, my straps has been sliding off my cuffs and I’m not even noticing, my boots fit too well. Anyone feel like straps don’t add much for certain boot setups?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While we are under embargo with brands it doesn't mean there are not leaked pictures out there and since they are, I see no reason why they cannot be shared here. With testing and development being slowed by covid from 19-21 manufacturers are starting to get their backlog of new gear to the market. I will say that on the boot side, BOA is the word and it is one of the worst kept secrets out there that we will see many BOA closure systems for this coming season with names like Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon integrating it in their collections. There are binding rumors I am hearing but I have to respect the confidence of my sources. And of course, many many new skis next year. So get that popcorn out and keep an eye here.
@Philpug, Please, I mean no diss but your spoiler reads like the Farmers Almanac Winter Outlook!
Give us something good, like, will Tyrolia Protector have direct competition from any other major manufacture(s) in the '23/'24 crop?
Will we see a lighter competitor to the Shift and Duke PT camp?
An innovative light weight Tech Touring binding with Alpine binding level protection?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Give us something good, like, will Tyrolia Protector have direct competition from any other major manufacture(s) in the '23/'24 crop?
I can say at this point, I haven't see one ... yet. ;)
Will we see a lighter competitor to the Shift and Duke PT camp?
How much lighter can you realistically expect than the Shift? Any additional gram savings would be minimal.
An innovative light weight Tech Touring binding with Alpine binding level protection?
Isn't that pretty much the Shift?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An all boa cuff would be cool. Probably needs two spools, but maybe one is enough. Add some little capstan bars for increased torque. What if it could also eliminate the strap?

Speaking of which, my straps has been sliding off my cuffs and I’m not even noticing, my boots fit too well. Anyone feel like straps don’t add much for certain boot setups?
I'm gonna say two BOA's on an Alpine cuff (think the better bike shoes multiple BOA's) but if anything like the two different BOA equiped Marathon Inline Skates I've had, no thanks! One skate has a single BOA instep heel hold down strap, tightening on the fly is nice, OTT it's terrible, when BOA tension is released the wires are not long enough to get out of the of their own way to lace/unlace the rest of the boot or to open the boot enough for entry/exit. The other skate has a single BOA instead of laces, the worst fit ever, closes from toe to top of cuff in a "V", no adjusting at various locations along the way, terrible design fail! Needles to say I don't use either, one a warranty replacement of a prior years redesign, the other with the single BOA instep strap was the next gen to that last gen failure of a design.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm gonna say two BOA's on an Alpine cuff (think the better bike shoes multiple BOA's) but if anything like the two different BOA equiped Marathon Inline Skates I've had, no thanks! One skate has a single BOA instep heel hold down strap, tightening on the fly is nice, OTT it's terrible, when BOA tension is released the wires are not long enough to get out of the of their own way to lace/unlace the rest of the boot or to open the boot enough for entry/exit. The other skate has a single BOA instead of laces, the worst fit ever, closes from toe to top of cuff in a "V", no adjusting at various locations along the way, terrible design fail! Needles to say I don't use either, one a warranty replacement of a prior years redesign, the other with the single BOA instep strap was the next gen to that last gen failure of a design.

I very much doubt we will see BOA cuff closures. Stiff ski plus thick plastic plus aggressive skiing the BOA will explode the first run. But I might be wrong and they could come up with something different who knows…

Reactions: BMC
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I very much doubt we will see BOA cuff closures. Stiff ski plus thick plastic plus aggressive skiing the BOA will explode the first run. But I might be wrong and they could come up with something different who knows…
I have been told that the Boa cable is extremely strong, being able to tow a car strong.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been told that the Boa cable is extremely strong, being able to tow a car strong.

In our fishing company of 5 people, 3 are in Simms BOA boots and all of them had breakages at a certain point. Good thing is it is (relatively) easy to repair. Also even the cables are indeed super strong the closing dial/knob/whatever they call it is plastic. For cycling shoes it works great but for alpine boots…dunno. We will see.

BTW if they can somehow fit a BOA system to the liners that are put on racing style, that’d be sweet.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online