• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Gear Previews, including TYOTB (the year of the BOA)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
All the new BOA boots look like MV or HV models. Is that more of a strategic thing for introducing a new product or is the boa just not suited as well to low volume boots?
I'm going to take a guess and say that most companies sell more MV or HV boots than LV ones. So, it makes sense to roll out new technologies into the mass market first. Kind of the same way most manufactures roll out new tech in men's (or unisex) skis first...then the women's line follows the next year.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
I now have all of 5 minutes in a K2 recon 120 with a BOA. There is an argument that the lower shell fits a little better, I felt the pressure from the sides a bit more than traditional buckles rather than mostly from the top of the boot.

Is it miles better than before? No it’s still a ski boot. That said I can see why boot makers are rolling out this option.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Is it miles better than before? No it’s still a ski boot. That said I can see why boot makers are rolling out this option.

But will it remain an option? That's a lot of SKUs to carry if they are going to let skiers/ retrogrouches still have a trad clog in each shell?

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I very much doubt we will see BOA cuff closures. Stiff ski plus thick plastic plus aggressive skiing the BOA will explode the first run. But I might be wrong and they could come up with something different who knows…

This could help clarify some of the discussion in the ski school threads by providing a tangible cue: starting in transition, evulse your subtalar joint, involute your glutes, and engage your dorsi in circular travel until the BOA pops off.

hialti2d87

Booting up
Skier
Just had an opportunity to try the Salomon BOAs at Copper last Friday, 1/13/23, and K2s offerings at Aspen Highlands 1/18/23. As someone who has been in the business 37 years and who has bootfitted nearly as long; I dare say we may be looking at a technology with legs. To cut to the chase; the fit is more of a feeling of wrapping the forefoot than buckles provide. Retailers are going to find an opportunity to reduce SKUs, and go deeper in key sizes because of the wider range of volume change BOA wrapped shell provide. Both of these manufacturers are using identical BOA assemblies with conventional buckles on the cuffs. The cable is MUCH thicker than you will find on other BOA products. The dial is large, and can be reversed, providing a way to fine-tune the fit, essentially functioning like micro-adjust does. As for the exposure of the dial to damage; time will tell. I doubt most falls will have much of an impact, but things like door jambs could prove hazardous for the careless. I, for one am genuinely excited to work with them next winter. We have our final buy meetings next week, and know that these boots will have a significant chunk of our OTB. I'm even more pumped about spending next winter in my own pair, as the Salomon's fit gives my Tecnica Mach 1 130 HV's a run for its' money; especially with my EEE/EEEE-Pes Cavus feet. Don't poo-poo it until you've tried it. We may be looking at the future.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The cable is MUCH thicker than you will find on other BOA products. The dial is large, and can be reversed, providing a way to fine-tune the fit, essentially functioning like micro-adjust does.
Key information for me and others familiar with existing boas. I've liked every boa I've actually used, but these have been in delicate settings like the forefoot of a light touring boot or clamping into a snowshoe. No way that exact system would do anything on a stiff alpine boot, good to hear they have modified accordingly and the results seem positive.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Key information for me and others familiar with existing boas. I've liked every boa I've actually used, but these have been in delicate settings like the forefoot of a light touring boot or clamping into a snowshoe. No way that exact system would do anything on a stiff alpine boot, good to hear they have modified accordingly and the results seem positive.
When I looked at the K2 BOA the first thing I thought was, "no way this cable breaks". It's thick. And the dial is sturdy. I tried the boot on and I liked the micro adjustment. On a regular buckle system it's usually too loose on one and too tight on the next. Then spin the buckle one way or the other and try again. Yes, you get pretty good at knowing where you like it but the BOA makes it immediately. Wind it until you like it. If you get it too tight unwind it a click or two. Need a quick on-hill adjustment? No fumbling with buckles, just click.

Yeah, it looks weird and the longevity will be a question for a while but I am looking to give it a whirl. Shaped skis looked weird too.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Blister has just dropped their First Look & Flash Review of the new Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130 BOA and here is a snippet from the flash review:

"from a fit point of view … I already prefer the BOA system, 100%. The ability to modulate how tight or loose the lower shell is on your foot is great. I actually love it."

If anyone wants to hear me go deep into the weeds on everything, we recorded a podcast about it too. Get out that popcorn.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shaped skis looked weird too.

Best In Thread Award, right there.

If anyone wants to hear me go deep into the weeds on everything, we recorded a podcast about it too. Get out that popcorn.

Is there whiskey involved again?!

And the Hawx Ultra 130 S (not XTD) sure as shite better be red.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Blister has just dropped their First Look & Flash Review of the new Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130 BOA and here is a snippet from the flash review:

"from a fit point of view … I already prefer the BOA system, 100%. The ability to modulate how tight or loose the lower shell is on your foot is great. I actually love it."

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
It looks like at least K2 intends to use Boa to reduce width of boot and eliminate some traditional shell widths. I’m basing this on what I gleaned from Skiessentials article.

Not necessarily a good or bad thing but definitely a profit maximizing move. I’m super satisfied with my Atomic Hawx Ultra professionals but would be down with trying the 2024 shells if Boa is added to this model and I could use my existing liner.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Preytell, what is the dual pivot?

I see we’re going to be finding Boa knobs on stairways next season.

I'm sire I ve seen something that looks like this [without the strip attaching the clog to the top of the cuff] years, and I do mean years ago [mid to late 70s].

Got it... finally...

Screenshot 2023-01-24 00.08.38.png

I love innovative boot designs but [helmet and body armour on] Lange doesn't seem to click with things that don't look like a Lange. Even the sharknose comp/super comp sank like a VO slalom in powder

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_1140.jpeg

I skied the Hawx XTD 130 BOA 130 today. Where I measure a 26.5 but usually wear a 25.5, these were a 26.5 (302mm shell) the back half of the shell held my skinny chicken leg quite well. The BOA closure was quite smooth and consistent in the fit, not only on top of the foot but all around. I could easily ski this as an every day boot.