• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Gear Previews, including TYOTB (the year of the BOA)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 190408
I skied the Hawx XTD 130 BOA 130 today. Where I measure a 26.5 but usually wear a 25.5, these were a 26.5 (302mm shell) the back half of the shell held my skinny chicken leg quite well. The BOA closure was quite smooth and consistent in the fit, not only on top of the foot but all around. I could easily ski this as an every day boot.
Did I just read what I think I read? Are you saying you could easily wear your 26.5 measured foot size, size 26.5 in the XTD BOA 130 boot as every day boot?

* * * * * Bonus points for your Italian flair for style! Those light grey boots look good with the red ski pants/ski talk dice branding:cool:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 190408
I skied the Hawx XTD 130 BOA 130 today. Where I measure a 26.5 but usually wear a 25.5, these were a 26.5 (302mm shell) the back half of the shell held my skinny chicken leg quite well. The BOA closure was quite smooth and consistent in the fit, not only on top of the foot but all around. I could easily ski this as an every day boot.

No you couldn’t, don’t lie! :ogbiggrin: If Ultra BOA XTD is anything like the normal XTD it will be lacking the firepower to drive the more serious ski and remember-you owe us reviews on all types of skis up to and including FIS ones.
I won’t believe a single word you say about stiff carving skis if you test them in these.:ogbiggrin:

They look real nice tho, I give ‘em that.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No you couldn’t, don’t lie! :ogbiggrin: If Ultra BOA XTD is anything like the normal XTD it will be lacking the firepower to drive the more serious ski and remember-you owe us reviews on all types of skis up to and including FIS ones.
I won’t believe a single word you say about stiff carving skis if you test them in these.:ogbiggrin:

They look real nice tho, I give ‘em that.

Next year’s XTD is a new boot with different materials and is more resort oriented than the current version.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just had an opportunity to try the Salomon BOAs at Copper last Friday, 1/13/23, and K2s offerings at Aspen Highlands 1/18/23. As someone who has been in the business 37 years and who has bootfitted nearly as long; I dare say we may be looking at a technology with legs. To cut to the chase; the fit is more of a feeling of wrapping the forefoot than buckles provide. Retailers are going to find an opportunity to reduce SKUs, and go deeper in key sizes because of the wider range of volume change BOA wrapped shell provide. Both of these manufacturers are using identical BOA assemblies with conventional buckles on the cuffs. The cable is MUCH thicker than you will find on other BOA products. The dial is large, and can be reversed, providing a way to fine-tune the fit, essentially functioning like micro-adjust does. As for the exposure of the dial to damage; time will tell. I doubt most falls will have much of an impact, but things like door jambs could prove hazardous for the careless. I, for one am genuinely excited to work with them next winter. We have our final buy meetings next week, and know that these boots will have a significant chunk of our OTB. I'm even more pumped about spending next winter in my own pair, as the Salomon's fit gives my Tecnica Mach 1 130 HV's a run for its' money; especially with my EEE/EEEE-Pes Cavus feet. Don't poo-poo it until you've tried it. We may be looking at the future.

There's a couple of things about this sound worrying to me

I Skiers may not get the choice of BOA or non BOA if stores go big on BOA buys

II evertime I hear SKU rationalisation as a wider footed skier I fear the few shells wide enough for me are going to be compromised

On the other hand I kinda wish a lot of early sell thru success cos 10000s of Beta testers in the real world massively improves on a few gear fondlers at shows in assuring us the devices are robust. And if they fail they'll have failed before I need a new shell hopefully.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
big mehhhhhhhh on the boa. how can you get it to same setting every lap?

Close your eyes, and go by the feel of your foot?

Be the ball FOOT, Danny!

Seriously, most of us don't buckle/unbuckle every lap. Do you?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Close your eyes, and go by the feel of your foot?

Be the ball FOOT, Danny!

Nah, too simplistic, feelings, shmeelings…just get a permanent marker and draw a watch face on the dial, then some arrows around and voila-totally controllable system. Science!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes, I unbuckle as I glide past RFID beam things towaards lift, buckle up as I glide forward & out, its takes pretty much 0 time. if I have to stand still or chill or ski mild terrain to get to somewhere I just leave them unbuckeld as well. Do people with snugger boots here actually have so good fit and soles they dont have to unbuckle? :eek:

only friends amongst group who doesnt unbuckle are the ones insisting on they needing a magna boot, and thats the only thing fitting them, then going "ohh theese are so comfy" , they ski accordingly ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Can’t close the Boa with a pole. I suppose you can loosen it with a pole. Which will now become a liftline activity to mess with other’s Boas

What happens with the wires when the fitter sticks his caulking gun in there to expand the clog?

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given that every review I’ve read (I’m probably missing a lot) from people who have actually had new BOA boots on their feet is positive, or at least neutral, I’ll remain optimistic that people like @onenerdykid know what their doing. What I’m more interested in is how long it will take for us to see BOA on the Redsters, Raptors, etc.?

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey it could be great. What is concerning is the lemmings heading over the cliff with boa.
Whether you like it or not.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh, is Disney sending film makers to SoVt?
Well Stratton is too flat… They’re looking at Magic, but then they have to fix everything first. They may just rent Mad River all week and use a helicopter.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yes, I unbuckle as I glide past RFID beam things towaards lift, buckle up as I glide forward & out, its takes pretty much 0 time. if I have to stand still or chill or ski mild terrain to get to somewhere I just leave them unbuckeld as well. Do people with snugger boots here actually have so good fit and soles they dont have to unbuckle? :eek:

only friends amongst group who doesnt unbuckle are the ones insisting on they needing a magna boot, and thats the only thing fitting them, then going "ohh theese are so comfy" , they ski accordingly ;)
No. People with snugger boots here actually have so good fit and soles they dont have to buckle.

Duct tape and go and their posts prove it. ;)

Bingo. I only buckle the clog so that the buckles aren’t flapping around. The two cuff buckles are only moderately tight. Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 with Booster strap, Zipfit liners and Instaprint insoles.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Bingo. I only buckle the clog so that the buckles aren’t flapping around. The two cuff buckles are only moderately tight. Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 with Booster strap, Zipfit liners and Instaprint insoles.

I think quite possibly the BOA hasn't been designed for the benefit of you (nor anyone who has achieved their all day fit nirvana). But is has been designed for the benefit of retailers to simplify stockholding and make out of the box fit easier. If the Boot Cos can spin it as the greatest thing since sliced bread to juice the consumer demand side so much the better (K2 are bragging it's as important as shaped skis which seems a BIG claim) but it may not be necessary.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think quite possibly the BOA hasn't been designed for the benefit of you (nor anyone who has achieved their all day fit nirvana). But is has been designed for the benefit of retailers to simplify stockholding and make out of the box fit easier. If the Boot Cos can spin it as the greatest thing since sliced bread to juice the consumer demand side so much the better (K2 are bragging it's as important as shaped skis which seems a BIG claim) but it may not be necessary.
Thank god it was just Elan with Amphibio or we’d be saddled with that nonsense.

>K2 are bragging it's as important as shaped skis<
Wait, the ski industry being hyperbolic and making stuff up??
When the Austrians find all the titanium listed on their skis, let me know.

I’d be more excited about a performance rear entry boot. Oh wait, the ski industry basically trashed that period because Salomon wouldn’t share. Good thing Solly didn’t invent the Boa.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I might have understated it. K2 are apparently claiming

Yep, you read that right. It’s the biggest advancement in skiing, let alone boot fitting in sixty years.

So more important than any development in skis, bindings or technique etc In fact second only to what in living memory? Metal edges?

If that's the biggest advancement their boots must have been pretty shitty before.