• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Gear Previews, including TYOTB (the year of the BOA)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
K2 are bragging it's as important as shaped skis<
Wait, the ski industry being hyperbolic
In that case they were being parabolic.

James

Out There
Instructor
I might have understated it. K2 are apparently claiming

So more important than any development in skis, bindings or technique etc In fact second only to what in living memory? Metal edges?

If that's the biggest advancement their boots must have been pretty shitty before.
Damn, you can’t make this stuff up!

I feel sorry for all the legitimate, thinking people in the industry. I’ll stop there.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
See here for real world experience with BOA. Not only did we try them on, we skied them.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Modded my boots. Took off the stuff I wasn't using.

IMG_0992.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Well if he sticks a Boa on there then there’s something to talk about. Why take the buckles off? They keep snow out and heat in. Maybe.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Don't worry, as the parts hit the market I'm sure I can hit up some likely home hackers for doing up Boa rocker and splay. Or @tomahawkins will start a thread. :D

Do you want the tail BOA to be in front of or behind the bindings?

BOA mounted in front of the bindings...crank it down to stiffen the boards.....loosen it up and they become floppy noodles for bouncing off things!
Wasn't there a Voelkl ski model with a dialer (three positions/settings) plsced on the tail of the skis? The Tiger Shark meseems...
A little weird that the iconic French brand is using a very Italian word to represent their new line.

That‘s multi-culti for ya, ruins everything…

Mbappé !
Well, after all, French and Italians are "cousins"...BTW I recently discovered (have been told) that most of the swearing aroung the Alps is done in the Italian language, even in countries where it is not an official language...
Modded my boots. Took off the stuff I wasn't using.

View attachment 191347
Mmmmh, I have been looking at inverting the first buckle of my Tecnica Zero GPP (first gen, yellow ones) AT boots in an effort to mimic the newer models...but completely remove the buckles, no.

Now, after reading this whole thread, I can only say that I have become really curious of the BOA system...I think I will look for a test drive...if only DalBello too were to release a BOA model (after all K2 and DB belong to the same group...). It took me forever to move from Tecnica to DB...only now I seem to have found the right "balance"...

James

Out There
Instructor
Wasn't there a Voelkl ski model with a dialer (three positions/settings) plsced on the tail of the skis? The Tiger Shark meseems...
It just took up the space for a rod inside.
I tried it on someone’s skis and when I engaged the rod, I nearly high sided on the turn. It definitely worked

James

Out There
Instructor
Did you ever play with Atomic's Variocut? That deffo worked too...I think I was the only guy who liked it.
No. We had an Atomic rep who had one of those one day. It looked like I would break it in one run. I remember the Atomic video in German about it someone translated. The video compared it to four wheel drive. Which was strange.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you ever play with Atomic's Variocut? That deffo worked too...I think I was the only guy who liked it.

Demo the Variocut and the D2 VF82 back to back .
The Variocut was OK. The D2 VF82 as one of those "got to get me one of these" ski. Bought the D2 VF82 instead.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Demo the Variocut and the D2 VF82 back to back .
The Variocut was OK. The D2 VF82 as one of those "got to get me one of these" ski. Bought the D2 VF82 instead.

Both Variocut and Varioflex were one hell of a lot better than Elans Magfire offerings which were out at the same time.

Sponsor