• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3 (fat) ski travel bag recommendations and shipping skis

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Taking the family, 5 of in total, to Alta/Snowbird this year and almost everyone wants to bring a pair of powder skis as well as their daily drivers (myself included). Suddenly instead of traveling with 5 pairs of skis we are now looking 8-10 pairs, so I thought it made sense to ship 3-5 pairs and take the rest with us on the plane. With this in mind I am looking for recommendations for a skis bag that can accommodate 3 pairs of fat skis (104, 110 and 112 width) and also looking for recommendations for a cost effective ski shipping service.

For a ski bag I was thinking that the SportTube might be a good choice as I have the 2 ski version but was curious as what folks thought of the three ski version. Also are there any any recommendations for soft shell ski bags that can accommodate three pairs of fat skis? Most that I have seen online are designed for racers so not sure if they could easily accommodate wider skis.

For shipping I was hoping for some guidance on which services made the most sense. We live five minutes from a UPS/FEDEX/USPS drop off location, so ideally if I can purchase and print my shipping labels at home, I can drop off the ski bag at that location. In Alta we are staying at GMD where they have UPS/FEDEX/USPS pickup daily. So do not need the concierge service offered by most luggage forwarding services. Curious what others have done.

Appreciate any and all recommendations.
Thanks,
Dovski

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
With the complexity and outlay may be simpler to just charter a private jet.

More seriously how about just renting pow skis if you luck out? Can't believe it would cost much more.

Otherwise DaKine Fall line double will easily take 3 pairs packed strategically up to 190cm ( despite 185 marked length)

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been there done that ! I’ve shlepped and sent more gear around the planet than I care to remember. I’ll 2nd the DaKine double concourse bag, 2.5 to 3 pairs per bag, weight will be the determining factor.
Also agree on the private charter as the cheapest I’ve sent skis recently is 70ish per pair one way. Last 3xs we time to LCC we came loaded for a similar itinerary and struck out on new snow each and every time so there’s that, seriously, consider the wide board demo.

Here is my suggestion, given your appropriate location, roughly 12 hrs ?
You take off the day before with all the skis and extra stuff, Have your wife take the kids on the plane with their luggage minus the skis and overage. Stop at @Philpug and outfit the car with the packsport he’s got for sale and meet them in SLC with everything stowed up top. You’ll thank me on the next trip !

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Been there done that ! I’ve shlepped and sent more gear around the planet than I care to remember. I’ll 2nd the DaKine double concourse bag, 2.5 to 3 pairs per bag, weight will be the determining factor.
Also agree on the private charter as the cheapest I’ve sent skis recently is 70ish per pair one way. Last 3xs we time to LCC we came loaded for a similar itinerary and struck out on new snow each and every time so there’s that, seriously, consider the wide board demo.

Here is my suggestion, given your appropriate location, roughly 12 hrs ?
You take off the day before with all the skis and extra stuff, Have your wife take the kids on the plane with their luggage minus the skis and overage. Stop at @Philpug and outfit the car with the packsport he’s got for sale and meet them in SLC with everything stowed up top. You’ll thank me on the next trip !
So while yes this is normally a 12-13 hour drive, I have found that in winter it is more like a 16 plus hour drive, which is definitely pushing it for a single day of driving. Also we are getting our flights for free, so definitely prefer the free 2 hour flight over 16 hour drive. Also with the price of oil going up this is not going to be a cheap drive, plus I would have to take another two days off work and unfortunately I just don't have enough vacation days left to accommodate that.

Was very tempted to buy Phil's old box, scars and all, but alas it does not fit on my MDX. So currently running an Inno Box on the roof and for trips I also strap my 2 ski SportTube to the roof.

Delta used to offer free ski shipping to some locations so they could lighten the load on their flights and encourage skiers to book with them, but that program no longer exists. If I can ship all three skis for around $75 each way I would do this in a heartbeat as we would much prefer to ski our own skis than rentals. Also last time I went Alta it dumped 3-5 feet each day so was worth it to bring the POW skis :) Will keep on searching for options, but fall back is likely going to be renting skis if needed.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, how many skis fit in the SportTube ? Perhaps it’s time for some serious wheeled bags, again the DK concourse or a team bag.
2.5 pairs per bag and take 3 of them as first free check bags with airline perk ? Pay for 2nd bag and carry on the boots / helmets.

Looks like a suburban at the other end with some ratchet straps for the roof or the bags down the center with the kiddies pressed up against the windows ?
Always looking for cheap shipping ideas, will be following along, hopefully someone can chime in on that, I got nothing on that option.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do any of the skis have demo bindings or otherwise easily removable toe and heels pieces? If so you might save some weight. Also a 3rd pair can be separated and each ski sandwiched in-between another pair of skis, with some thin flexible foam or other material (even cardboard) to protect the bases.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Kulkea double roller will handle three. Or purchase 2 Level 9 padded bags.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
So, how many skis fit in the SportTube ? Perhaps it’s time for some serious wheeled bags, again the DK concourse or a team bag.
2.5 pairs per bag and take 3 of them as first free check bags with airline perk ? Pay for 2nd bag and carry on the boots / helmets.

Looks like a suburban at the other end with some ratchet straps for the roof or the bags down the center with the kiddies pressed up against the windows ?
Always looking for cheap shipping ideas, will be following along, hopefully someone can chime in on that, I got nothing on that option.
I'm considering this too. sportTubes come in 1, 2 or 3 pair.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Sportube 3 ski box was not designed for three pairs of modern skis. Also, for airline travel the Sportube is almsot 20 lb add in the weight of three pairs, you are well over the 50lb limit for air travel. If you have ever tried to maximize the space in a Sportube, you kow how difficult it is, now when the TSA opens up the carrier, you knwo they will not put the skis back in with the care you did.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The Sportube 3 ski box was not designed for three pairs of modern skis. Also, for airline travel the Sportube is almsot 20 lb add in the weight of three pairs, you are well over the 50lb limit for air travel. If you have ever tried to maximize the space in a Sportube, you kow how difficult it is, now when the TSA opens up the carrier, you knwo they will not put the skis back in with the care you did.
What are their limitations, size-wise? I'm considering a two-ski sport tube. By modern skis, do you mean wide?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm considering a two-ski sport tube. By modern skis, do you mean wide?
Wide and taller bindings. If you need to carry two, get the three. I still prefer a soft padded roller, for weight and for packing.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I have to agree with Phil. I have a SportTube 2 and really just use it for road trips strapped to the roof of my car. I have been able to fit two pairs of skis in it along with several pairs of polls, but never take it on planes. For shipping the added weight will be a big issue so definitely looking for a soft-shell case that can hold 3 fat skis :)

As for my rental car I believe it is either a Suburban, Yukon XLT or Ford Expedition Max. We have rented these before and are able to fit all our luggage and 5 pairs of skis in the trunk. Good for a drive from the airport to the mountain, but tight squeeze with a family of 5 and all our gear plus luggage for anything much longer than that.

So far best deal I have found for shipping is https://www.shipskis.com/. They will charge $69 each way for a large ski bag weighing up to 55lbs with 3-4 day shipping and $89 for 2 day. Will keep on looking to see what other options there may be. I know that USPS is a little cheaper but unfortunately they are slower and less reliable from my personal experience.

If anyone else has an recommendations please let me know.

Thanks,
Dovski

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So far best deal I have found for shipping is https://www.shipskis.com/. They will charge $69 each way for a large ski bag weighing up to 55lbs with 3-4 day shipping and $89 for 2 day. Will keep on looking to see what other options there may be. I know that USPS is a little cheaper but unfortunately they are slower and less reliable from my personal experience.

If anyone else has an recommendations please let me know.

Thanks,
Dovski
Coincidently we have been talking to Shipskis of late. Very good company and their service goes past just a good "corporate rate" but close attention to every aspect of the shipping process.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another (unconventional!) option if you are handy with a screwdriver. Pull the bindings so you should be able to get 3-4 pairs in a ski bag under 50# (or if you are first class/premium level flier you can get 70#) and either stick the bindings in your carry on backpack or ship in large USPS flat rate box. When i went to chile for masters FIS races/race camp I took 6 pairs and pulled most of the bindings to do it that way ... my backpack probably weighed 60#+ ....ogsmile

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Coincidently we have been talking to Shipskis of late. Very good company and their service goes past just a good "corporate rate" but close attention to every aspect of the shipping process.
Now if only they had a SkiTalk rate ..... if only there was someone we could talk to in a position of authority, considered a true ski influencer and was skilled at the art of persuasion who could make that happen .... hmmm if only we knew someone like that ... oh well I guess we will just have to keep on looking :roflmao:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now if only they had a SkiTalk rate ..... if only there was someone we could talk to in a position of authority, considered a true ski influencer and was skilled at the art of persuasion who could make that happen .... hmmm if only we knew someone like that ... oh well I guess we will just have to keep on looking :roflmao:
Working on it. :popcorn:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Putting those powder skis in the bag usually is the storm blocker 80% of the time. Just my experience....

that said the Dakine Double Concourse is huge and can fit 3 pairs of skis - I think it would be over the 50lb limit w 3. I put 2 pairs (185'ish) + bindings (Pivots) + poles+ snapdry boot blower thing, set of dakine roof straps (in case no SUV upgrade) and a small fabric repair kit (curved canvas needle, dental floss aquaseal) and that makes it 40 or so lbs. And yes, have used the repair kit many many times.

James

Out There
Instructor
For 3 pairs you’re going to have to check the weight limit before extra extra charges.
You def need wheels. Two pair you can do without, but three?
I have the Sync double roller. Doesn’t look like they make it anymore. At the time I needed a bag to fit a 192cm. I used to use a soft bag I crammed two pair in plus clothes. I was right at 25kg with two pair and a bunch of other stuff last time I flew it.

The roller bag itself weighs like 12lbs. In some ways I prefer the old soft non roller bag with its shoulder strap. It’s no fun hauling the roller onto trains.

Rossi has a 2-3 pair, and a 4 pair /230cm! roller bag. Plus a non roller 2-3 pair.

Shipping up skis to 55lbs for $69 sounds pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online